Thread: Diana MOD 55

Diana MOD 55

Anyone know much about these rifles?

Just bought one that needs some major TLC, still shoots but will need a complete strip down and re finish. Was cheap so I thought what the heck, Are these decent air rifles? And will MOD 50 parts fit? (Mainly a couple of screws/bolts)

Cheers

If I am right this is basically an Original mod 50 but with a few subtle changes such as auto tap opening. I suspect that the basic parts are interchangeable but parts other than basic service bits e.g. mainspring may be difficult to find ... but if desperate, try the gun shop in Gotha, Germany. So the strip procedure will, I suspect, be akin to the Original 50 with the added procedure for the auto tap loading system. Nice find as I believe they are quite rare.
    Cheers, Phil

It is like an “Original” Diana 50, and as Phil describes it, but, to be clear, made by Milbro in Scotland not M&G Diana in Germany. Made in small numbers for a only a few years either side of 1960.

Which means I doubt any German model 50 parts fit. It surely has some parts commonality with the other Milbro springers. I guess they would have used some of the same screws across the range, and the same piston, spring and trigger across the adult-size rifles.

They are rare, almost certainly the most valuable of the Milbros (rivalled by the “custom” .20” ones made by Airgunaid and some other outfit around 1980). I could imagine a nice one selling for a couple of hundred pounds.

Well I only paid £85 for it so not too bad then. But like I said, needs a lot of work appearance wise. But with some elbow grease ill get it looking beautiful again

Also did they have a wooden bit covering the top of the barrel just in front of the rear sight? I have seen some with and others without so im not sure..

I've handled one of these rifles, made by Milbro Diana in Carfin, near Motherwell, Scotland and my impression on looking at it externally was that it possibly shares similar components, piston and trigger asssembly and mainspring with the Milbro Diana Model 27 manufactured around the same period. I like the way the underlever is connected to the front section of the forend of the stock and subsequently conceals it.