Thread: Diana/Original 35 Super Question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Diana/Original 35 Super Question.

Can any learned fellow explain the differences to me between the Diana/Original Model 35 of the 1970's and the Model 35 Super of the same decade.

The differences that I am aware of lie in the following areas:

Stock- heftier, squared off affair on the Super
    Cocking lever- articulated on Super
    Anti-beartrap safety- present on Super
    Front sight- mounted on a synthetic barrel sleeve on Super- all metal on dovetails on standard 35
    Trigger guard- different shape

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    The differences that I am aware of lie in the following areas:

Stock- heftier, squared off affair on the Super
    Cocking lever- articulated on Super
    Anti-beartrap safety- present on Super
    Front sight- mounted on a synthetic barrel sleeve on Super- all metal on dovetails on standard 35
    Trigger guard- different shape
    Agreed.

I've never made up my mind as to which version I prefer. For me the Super is the better gun scoped for target/ range use. The regular 35 has handier dimensions and I think its a better gun than the Super for field use or for plinking with open sights.
    Nice to have both to cover all scenarios.

Thanks for the responses.I have a 'regular' 35 and agree it's a very handy,sleek gun.I was asking for a friend about the Super as he was contemplating buying one and I didn't really know the differences the variation had.

Other than the articulated cocking link on the Super it sounds like it shares the same action as the regular version,which is good to know.

Presumably,the Super commands a premium over the regular version?

ATB.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Presumably,the Super commands a premium over the regular version?

ATB.
    Maybe, but not a lot. They are much rarer, but not particularly sought after. In no way are they in the same league of 70s desirability as FWB124/7, HW35E, BSF55/60, Diana 45, etc. And the 70s angular looks are a very acquired taste. A 35S is worth less than a Sterling HR81, despite being a much better rifle.

I’d think that the most valuable 35s are the 1950s through mid/late 60s ones, with metal sights and great fit and finish on both metal and wood. Especially upmarket target variants with contemporary aperture sights.

The least valuable are the later ones with poorer finish, plastic rear sights, lacquered stocks. Though they may shoot just as well as many of the earlier ones.

The S is somewhere in between.

Maybe a £10-20 premium.

Obviously, a mint or near-mint one would attract a bit more. There can’t be many around.