Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: scamma on guntrader

"My Paypal is broken" is a pretty good sign to avoid the person. Ashamed to admit I have been suckered the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I read it last night and it still confused me
    I quoted PayPal's firearms policy.i then quoted BASC Are airguns firearms quote.

Yes it could have been posted clearer , hence I deleted it.

PayPal is a worldwide company is is facebook. They have banned the use of using their platforms for firearms WORLDWIDE rather than different rules for different countries. That was the reason I got from facebook when I queried why they did not allow public users to sell airguns om their pages even though its legal to do in the UK.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TenMetrePeter View Post
    PayPal are a bank. They should not be allowed to play politics.
    Same way Eb8y are a sales outlet. They should not be allowed to ban legal goods from sale.
    We are "lucky" the now private Royal Mail still ship air guns
    Paypal are not a bank, they are merely a payment and receipt service, for which you pay, through the nose I might add.

E8ay and Paypal are private companies and if they do not like air rifles they can choose to have nothing to do with them.

Using your logic Tescos should be made to sell air guns as airguns are legal and Tescos is a sales outlet....

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Using your logic Tescos should be made to sell air guns as airguns are legal and Tescos is a sales outlet....
    I feel a petition coming on...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

PayPal are a bank. They should not be allowed to play politics.
    Same way Eb8y are a sales outlet. They should not be allowed to ban legal goods from sale.
    We are "lucky" the now private Royal Mail still ship air guns
    And to complete the points Mr mole has already put you right on;

Royal Mail did attempt to ban airguns, back in 2005 ish, while still a public company, the ombudsman at the time blocked them from doing so because they were, & still are, the only postal carrier that can legally carry them.

Paypal are not a bank, they are merely a payment and receipt service, for which you pay, through the nose I might add.

E8ay and Paypal are private companies and if they do not like air rifles they can choose to have nothing to do with them.

LOL I wasnt trying to state the law, just proffering my opinion, that if you open up as an auction house (not a shop) you should not be able to ban legal goods.

Even as an escrow service PayPal should not IN MY OPINION ban payment for legal goods that dont require a certificate or prescription to own.
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 12-07-2018 at 10:10 AM.

I was self employed.
    If I didn't wish to work for you you couldn't make me.

Businesses can and do make their own rules.
    Whatever we may think of them.
    See Ryanair.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I was self employed.
    If I didn't wish to work for you you couldn't make me.

Businesses can and do make their own rules.
    Whatever we may think of them.
    See Ryanair.
    Depends on what basis you made that decision. If you stated that it was because I was white/black/brown you would be in serious trouble. Yes I couldn't make you work for me but I would make sure you didn't work for anyone else again. (Not a personal thing just a hypothetical case)

I am surprised how defensive people are about these scumbag companies.

BTW I know about the Royal Mail proposal to ban shipping airguns some years ago. I was a contributor to the consultation feedback.

PS Paypal allow me to deposit cash. I can use it to pay for goods in the future. IN MY OPINION that makes them more a bank than an escrow service and they should behave like a bank.
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 12-07-2018 at 11:07 AM.

secretagentmole Guest
    LOL I wasnt trying to state the law, just proffering my opinion, that if you open up as an auction house (not a shop) you should not be able to ban legal goods.

Even as an escrow service PayPal should not IN MY OPINION ban payment for legal goods that dont require a certificate or prescription to own.
    If you sell rifles as an auction you do have to be registered as an RFD you know....

http://www.horners.co.uk/registered-firearms-dealers/

If you sell rifles as an auction you do have to be registered as an RFD you know....

http://www.horners.co.uk/registered-firearms-dealers/
    So could be in the poo as we have all seen air rifles being sold without being taken off and I even reported a deactivated shotgun being sold which they did nothing about.

anyone fancy reporting them.......

'Opinions' on this subject are ten a penny. Companies can and do restrict the uses to which their service may be used and that can most definitely cover 'legal' matters with certain important exceptions such as racism, sexism etc.
    Not wanting to stray too far on this, paypal as a business intrigues me. It is true that its terms and conditions exclude shooting related matters- as does its former owner the auction site that dare not speak its name. And yet shooting related items are freely offered on there for auction and buy it now. In addition paypal is an approved (almost a 'compulsory' certainly a 'default') method of payment for these items. Also paypal is used regularly by businesses that are quite clearly shooting related and who make no effort at all to disguise the true nature of their trade. Are they completely mad??
    I'm genuinely confused here. Does anyone on here have PERSONAL experience of account closure? By personal I mean to THEM not to a mate or as a result of a story. I'd really like to know.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    'Opinions' on this subject are ten a penny. Companies can and do restrict the uses to which their service may be used and that can most definitely cover 'legal' matters with certain important exceptions such as racism, sexism etc.
    Not wanting to stray too far on this, paypal as a business intrigues me. It is true that its terms and conditions exclude shooting related matters- as does its former owner the auction site that dare not speak its name. And yet shooting related items are freely offered on there for auction and buy it now. In addition paypal is an approved (almost a 'compulsory' certainly a 'default') method of payment for these items. Also paypal is used regularly by businesses that are quite clearly shooting related and who make no effort at all to disguise the true nature of their trade. Are they completely mad??
    I'm genuinely confused here. Does anyone on here have PERSONAL experience of account closure? By personal I mean to THEM not to a mate or as a result of a story. I'd really like to know.
    Ours was frozen for a few weeks when we bought an air rifle and put it in the description line....

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Can't see how Paypal have leg to stand on to refuse to pay compensation when they offer themselves as a payment option to sellers on Freeads....

It isn't always the case that if you express a dislike for accepting PayPal as a payment option, that you are a 'scammer'.

I've had an e**y account for over 14 years now and always refused offering PayPal as an option for buyers until e**y made it a condition if you wanted to continue to sell anything. Even now, I refuse to have PayPal linked to my bank account, so if I sell anything on e**y and the buyer pays with PayPal, I'm limited to those funds 'resting' in my PayPal account. Doesn't bother me that much for smaller amounts as I'll just utilise them for e**y purchases, but for anything over £50 or so that isn't an e**y transaction, I'll always ask that the buyer pays me either via bank transfer or cash-on-collection. It's nothing to do with trying to con anyone or deprive them of their rights.

Mind you, in PayPal's defence, I've never had a problem with them and they've always been quick to refund anything that's gone awry.

If there's no compo you may as well use PayPal friends and family then there is no charge
    I have bought airgun related parts on friends and family from well known RFD by PM.

NB this guy didnt express a preference not to use Paypal he said "my Paypal is broken please use funds transfer." which is classic scam language.