Thread: Pre load query. Spacers or spring coils

Pre load query. Spacers or spring coils

Putting finishing touch to a Goldstar which had 20 mm of buffer/washers at piston end. https://imgur.com/a/jw0gawh
    Spring is straight and square and producing 7 ft. lb. at 15 mm pre load.
    Replicating the decomposed buffers/washers to 40 mm pre load gives 11 ft.lb. so quite acceptable methinks.
    A trimmed Titan No 1 could give the power with no spacers so what's best option.
    A bit of me wants to keep it as found. Thanks for looking.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Putting finishing touch to a Goldstar which had 20 mm of buffer/washers at piston end. https://imgur.com/a/jw0gawh
    Spring is straight and square and producing 7 ft. lb. at 15 mm pre load.
    Replicating the decomposed buffers/washers to 40 mm pre load gives 11 ft.lb. so quite acceptable methinks.
    A trimmed Titan No 1 could give the power with no spacers so what's best option.
    A bit of me wants to keep it as found. Thanks for looking.
    Personally i prefer the spring to be doing the work rather than loads of preload with washers / spacers.
    The titan may give you a snappier, harsher cycle and I'm no particular fan of titans.
    What about just ordering a standard new mainspring from Chambers ? Only £11.90 and in stock.
    B.A.S.C. member

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    a spaced spring as a system is stiffer
    a longer softer spring generally gives lower initial acceleration and less bounce
    a stiffer spring can make more power (cylinder pressure raises faster) and gives a faster piston acceleration and a quick action.

I prefer softer, longer.

This is one reason why sleaved down HW80s shoot so nice - loads of spring room, so they have that softer (true) recoil.

but you might like it harder, quicker
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'd guess also that the goldstar is specced with the same spring as the superstar. Details for standard spec are on the mainspring data thread for the superstar.
    B.A.S.C. member

Just checked Chambers. MS012 quoted as spring for both superstar and goldstar.
    Thats the way I'd go.
    B.A.S.C. member

Thanks for the support as usual. All makes good sense to me.