Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RWS Diana 52 - tuning options....

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

RWS Diana 52 - tuning options....

I recently got hold of a very nice rifle which I'd hankered after for some years; a Diana 52 'Ultra Carbine' in .22 calibre.

It's a rifle I'd always liked the look of, especially in this configuration with ultra short barrel and to top it off this one is cosmetically near perfect and has a lovely looking stock. As far as I'm aware, it's bog-standard internally. It has the open sights present (although I use a scope on it) and is the model with T05 trigger according to previous owners.

So, I'm pretty happy with it BUT....

I know that, like most springers, they can be fettled to shoot a lot better. My options are as follows:

1. Simple route- buy new seals and a drop in kit from either Tinbum or V-Mach etc., to keep costs down.
    2. Complex route- spend £200-£300 sending it to a professional for something like a proper short-stroke job & sleeved down piston.
    3. Leave it as it is and put the cash towards another rifle.

I know that option 1 should smooth things a little and get rid of the bit of 'twang' the rifle currently has. Option 2 should seriously transform the shot cycle of the rifle and currently Tony Leach is favourite for the work if I go that route, as he's done quite a bit of development with the 52/54 platforms.
    Option 3 is least favourite but, given that I've recently got myself a new shooting permission, I'm after something more suited to hunting; I know the 52 is perfectly capable but my preference is a break barrel or possibly even a PCP in .177 calibre...

Decisions, decisions.

Would you get it fettled? If so, which option & why? I know ultimately only I can decide but opinions on here are always welcome...

Cheers
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Buy a T06 Trigger piston kit from sportwaffen for about 60 quid and have a custom guide and top hat made, relube it properly -

That's my advice for best improvement for your money

A V Mach spring would be an ideal mainspring in one of those too - BAR ??
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Buy a T06 Trigger piston kit from sportwaffen for about 60 quid and have a custom guide and top hat made, relube it properly -

That's my advice for best improvement for your money

A V Mach spring would be an ideal mainspring in one of those too - BAR ??
    Thanks mate. I've had a look at that site but unfortunately the T06 kit is on 'pre-order' with no specified delivery. Chambers do list them in stock but at over £90.

Does the T06 have major benefits over the T05? Have to admit I've not done much research in that respect...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

What do you want to do with it?

Plinker: leave as is.

Serious hunter/FT: big tune.

My old 52 (factory slow lazy spring and restricted set-up) is a nice plinker (aka informal target rifle). Improving it much would cost at least what it’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    What do you want to do with it?

Plinker: leave as is.

Serious hunter/FT: big tune.

My old 52 (factory slow lazy spring and restricted set-up) is a nice plinker (aka informal target rifle). Improving it much would cost at least what it’s worth.
    Well, I had intended it being a jack of all trades, so a bit of bunny bashing plus some plinking & informal (not club competition) HFT style target shooting. That said, it's a .22 so I'd no real intentions or expectations for anything ultra serious for it. It's just a rifle I'd wanted for a long time and having finally found one in the right condition I'd like to use it rather than just look at it.

If I'm brutally honest, I know that to have this rifle seriously (professionally) tuned would be my heart ruling head and that something like a 97k in .177 (or a new Walther LGV) would be a more 'efficient' proposition as target/occasional hunting rifle. I don't really want to leave it 'standard' long term though, it's too nice a rifle to be left sounding like a dodgy bed spring every time the trigger is pulled...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Forget the T06 trigger - instead do the T05 two screw trigger mod - very easy and cost about 10p for a second adjustment screw. Gives an excellent result.

The T05 trigger is a nice trigger. No need for a T06.
    I had one of Tony's kits in my 52 and it totally transformed it from the lumbering hunk that it was into a rifle that was totally different.

Mine was a .22 ultra carbine too.
    With Tony's help it was rebarrelled with a Rapid 7 anschutz .177 barrel. Not an easy job but very doeable.

If you want the best for the 52 contact Tony.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The T05 trigger is a nice trigger. No need for a T06.
    I had one of Tony's kits in my 52 and it totally transformed it from the lumbering hunk that it was into a rifle that was totally different.

Mine was a .22 ultra carbine too.
    With Tony's help it was rebarrelled with a Rapid 7 anschutz .177 barrel. Not an easy job but very doeable.

If you want the best for the 52 contact Tony.
    Thanks Rob, he's certainly going to be the person I turn to if I get the full job done. He has some interesting write ups on his website & FB page! Your rifle sounds bloody lovely, although I doubt I'll do anything as drastic as a new barrel on mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Forget the T06 trigger - instead do the T05 two screw trigger mod - very easy and cost about 10p for a second adjustment screw. Gives an excellent result.
    Not heard of that mod mate, do you have more details or a link to what's involved? Cheers
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

[QUOTE=BarnsleyBob;7530165]Thanks Rob, he's certainly going to be the person I turn to if I get the full job done. He has some interesting write ups on his website & FB page! Your rifle sounds bloody lovely, although I doubt I'll do anything as drastic as a new barrel on mine!
    [QUOTE]
    The barrel swap was a real risk and I knew of only one being done before mine, in the states with no detail so I went about it blind.
    The way the barrels are fixed into the breech / action is designed as rather a permanent fix.
    Its not a job to be taken on lightly.

As for the 22mm conversion its superb. Little felt recoil or movement at all.

Tony is way ahead of the game.
    B.A.S.C. member

Worth checking if the transfer port restricted is still there. If so I'd just sleeve the piston, polish, relube and use it. Can't see the point in spending loads on it. The 52 is a pain to use hunting. The to5 is ok not worth the expense of the to6 conversion. I still prefer a well set up to1 trigger.

I have a 54 (same action as 52) with a vmach kit.

This left it running too close to the limit and with almost no preload.

Information I dug up is that restrictor is a simple washer under the breech seal with a 2 or 2.5 mm hole.

More research said that this gave a lazy action, I bought instead a TR Robb breech seal that has a 3mm hole instead of the 4-4.5 mm of the stock seal.

This seems to work fine with the vmach spring and gives a nice action and 11ftlbs.

Two screw trigger mod:

fits a second adjustment screw (4mm allen head screw) in front of the existing screw. The new screw adjusts the first stage (replacing the standard bar that is the first stage stop) and the original screw the second stage. Juggling the two screws gives a really good trigger with a not overly long first stage and light crisp second stage - mine rivaled a rekord for feel and function (better than most out of the box rekords actually) - absolutely zero creep on the second stage. It's an easy and well worth doing modification that is a big improvement.

It is possible through over adjustment to get an unsafe hair trigger with this mod so be careful if you try it. The trigger is safe as long as you have some first stage travel before hitting the second stage and a crisp release - both stages act on the seer.

The trigger has a flat in front of the adjustment screw that is crying out for the new screw to be put there.

Word of caution is the trigger alloy is soft so use a very clean fresh tap for threading the hole and use a 3.2mm drill for the 4mm screw. A pillar drill makes it easy to get the new hole perpendicular to the flat face on the trigger where the two screws poke out for adjustment and in line with the first stage stop bar. You have to remove the bar that is the current first stage stop - do this by cutting it in the middle and pushing the two pieces out of their respective sides.Cutting it in the middle avoids damaging the trigger if you try to cut it near the side (ask me how I know...). I cut it with a dremmel. Other than that its plain sailing.

PIctures here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thed...05-t12124.html
    Last edited by Frog; 14-07-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks very much gents (especially frog for the trigger info) for your views & experience with the 52/54, much appreciated!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

52/54

I have a kt 52 . ,another with a full v mach kit with a spring sleeve extra also and a couple home tuned including 54 models.

I prefer my home fettled rifle.
    Has a tr Robb transfer seal,softer than o.m and gives a great seal .the rws blue seals are superior .
    Your rifle may have a synthetic rear guide.
    I prefer steel one piece or early factory steel types as in t01.
    Couple friction washers one on rear two forward to aid any rotation.

Add a 1 mm ptfe spring sleeve for o.m spring.
    Retain old spring if straight ish and polish ends well.
    A spit polish internally and 're lube it should be well transformed for next to nothing.

Paying attention to deburing main cylinder internally and lubing this also will give a silky action.
    I spray my cylinder internally with a dry ptfe that goes solid not dusty from europarts,not euro car parts.this sprayed through a straw changes its dry finish from Dusty to a more varnished look and stays on .sounds weird but it works.
    Others just rub off. This stuff you need to scratch heavily and resembles Matt varnish

Dwc used to have good trigger strip guides to polish Sears and lube.

Your money ,spend it as you will .
    But if you can try this first.

I prefer the T0-6 conversions to any alterations on the earlier T0-5
    Personally - the best thing they did the T0-6

Glad I bought mine at the 'right' time
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34