Thread: HW98 or 99

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HW98 or 99

Is the HW98 that much better than a 99? It costs almost twice as much, is it worth the money?
    I've got a 99 which I use on open sights & it shoots very smoothly & accurately. I would like another springer to use with a scope, I don't think I want the weight of a 77/97 or TX200.
    I like the idea of a 98 but would the money be better spent on another 99 & a good fettle? Or even an HW57, although the marmite reviews put me off these a little.
    Thanks.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    if you don't want the weight of the TX, you defo don't want a stupidly front heavy 98 with that drainpipe on the front...

Walnut stocked TX200 HC is suprisingly light and well balanced..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Now you mention it, I had a few shots a year or so ago with someones TX200hc & I don't remember it being ridiculously heavy, extremely accurate too.

Two very different rifles, Neil. If you like the 99s, go for another...

I love the 99s, my problem is I always think I might like something else even more!
    My 30s & 99s are my favorite rifles, that's why I'm wondering if a 57 might be a good buy? It's basically an underlever version of the 99 right?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilnrLincoln View Post
    I love the 99s, my problem is I always think I might like something else even more!
    My 30s & 99s are my favorite rifles, that's why I'm wondering if a 57 might be a good buy? It's basically an underlever version of the 99 right?
    Tbh id try the HW80 mate. As stated above the 98 is a heavy bugger and not much difference to a 99 sort from price. The 57 gets alot of bad press but I can't comment as I've never fired one