Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW98 or 99

HW98 or 99

Is the HW98 that much better than a 99? It costs almost twice as much, is it worth the money?
    I've got a 99 which I use on open sights & it shoots very smoothly & accurately. I would like another springer to use with a scope, I don't think I want the weight of a 77/97 or TX200.
    I like the idea of a 98 but would the money be better spent on another 99 & a good fettle? Or even an HW57, although the marmite reviews put me off these a little.
    Thanks.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    if you don't want the weight of the TX, you defo don't want a stupidly front heavy 98 with that drainpipe on the front...

Walnut stocked TX200 HC is suprisingly light and well balanced..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Now you mention it, I had a few shots a year or so ago with someones TX200hc & I don't remember it being ridiculously heavy, extremely accurate too.

Two very different rifles, Neil. If you like the 99s, go for another...

I love the 99s, my problem is I always think I might like something else even more!
    My 30s & 99s are my favorite rifles, that's why I'm wondering if a 57 might be a good buy? It's basically an underlever version of the 99 right?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilnrLincoln View Post
    I love the 99s, my problem is I always think I might like something else even more!
    My 30s & 99s are my favorite rifles, that's why I'm wondering if a 57 might be a good buy? It's basically an underlever version of the 99 right?
    Tbh id try the HW80 mate. As stated above the 98 is a heavy bugger and not much difference to a 99 sort from price. The 57 gets alot of bad press but I can't comment as I've never fired one

the 95 bit bigger than the 99 ,comes with a mod very nice checking excellent gun about 320 ish price

99 is brilliant and light, but for longer range accuracy I would go with the 98. 99 has a tendency to eat it's own piston too

The 98 is way heavier than the 99.
    If you're happy with the 99 get another. If you're happy with the 99, then no its not worth the extra money at all.

An inbetweener would be the HW95. Same action as the 98 so essentially the same rifle without the window dressing and weight penalty.

The 57's a handy little rifle. Similar cocking linkage to the 99 with similar issues relating to that.
    The marmite issue is down to the pop up breech. Earlier ones with plastic breech blocks had issues. Later ones are metal. Its just down to whether you find the pop up breech ok. Personally I liked it.
    Thin barrel and can be noisy when running on song as they have a fair crack especially in .177. Ugly front sight unit is probably its worst feature. If they made the forend like a 97 I have one again.
    B.A.S.C. member

Some good advice up above.

If it were me, I'd be trying to have a good go with a 95, 98 and a 35 and then decide if the weight and balance of these guns appeal to you or whether to go for another 99 and throw some money at fettling and customising.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Some good advice up above.

If it were me, I'd be trying to have a good go with a 95, 98 and a 35 and then decide if the weight and balance of these guns appeal to you or whether to go for another 99 and throw some money at fettling and customising.
    Absolutely worth trying these rifles. Its all good being happy with a 99 but if you haven't tried these its well worth doing so before buying another. I love my 98 and 95, both lovely rifles to shoot. Yes the 98 is front heavy but it improves the accuracy somewhat by reducing muzzle flip. All I would say is see if you can try an already fettled version as any of these are pretty twangy out of the box.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    A TX200HC all the air rifle you'll ever need and very nice straight out of the box !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The 98 is way heavier than the 99.
    If you're happy with the 99 get another. If you're happy with the 99, then no its not worth the extra money at all.

An inbetweener would be the HW95. Same action as the 98 so essentially the same rifle without the window dressing and weight penalty.

The 57's a handy little rifle. Similar cocking linkage to the 99 with similar issues relating to that.
    The marmite issue is down to the pop up breech. Earlier ones with plastic breech blocks had issues. Later ones are metal. Its just down to whether you find the pop up breech ok. Personally I liked it.
    Thin barrel and can be noisy when running on song as they have a fair crack especially in .177. Ugly front sight unit is probably its worst feature. If they made the forend like a 97 I have one again.
    You ever noticed that some of the hw57s catch the pellet on the way down from the loading

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I had a very similar dilemma a few months ago...

The 99 is nice and light (maybe not what you need in springer) and a fiend has the .22 and it shoots very well , but I wanted a .177 and the firing cycle tends to be harsher in that calibre so maybe would have been less tolerant of the lack of mass.

The 95 was the other option - a bit heavier, but not quite as heavy as the 98, same mechanicals though and a decent price too.

BUT I did so want the 98's stock and I thought that it was what I wanted in the first place, so if I bought something else then i'd up regretting it and end up still wanting a 98.

So I bought the 98 in .177 and Yes, it's wee bit heavy - BUT it's super-accurate, comfortable and completely un-fussy of its diet of pellets...Am I happy with it? Hell Yes!

And the 98 does look great doesn't it.