Thread: Air rifle with 2 kg trigger weight

Air rifle with 2 kg trigger weight

Over the summer I want to practice for a full bore competition that I will be taking part in overseas in the autumn. The catch is that the trigger weight of the full bore competition rifle has to be over 2kg.

Getting an air rifle with scope and scaled down targets for practice on the ranges on which I shoot is no problem. But the trigger weight of my Mk 2 Rapid 177 is very light, prob around half a pound and is apparently as heavy as it can be. And it will be a major limitation for my practice if the trigger weights are not similar.

1) is it possible to significantly increase the trigger weight of a Rapid Mk2. If not, ....
    2) is there another magazine fed rifle with a heavier trigger pull?

Thanks in advance.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Could you put an external spring behind the blade, within the trigger guard ? Would need to have a little guide. Or a tension spring higher up the blade, pulling it forwards ? Trouble is IIR the mk2 rapid has no trigger guard, so attaching it to the timber might get tricky.

Or pick any mag fed gun you like where rigging up one of these arrangement would be easy, i.e. with a metal trigger guard. A rifle where spare blades and triggerguards are cheaply / easily purchased makes thing even easier, as you can permenantly modify them both the mount either end of the spring, without devaluing the rifle.

Another alternative is buying a crosman 1077.. long, heavy crap trigger, multishot... but low power and not very accurate.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Could you put an external spring behind the blade, within the trigger guard ? Would need to have a little guide. Or a tension spring higher up the blade, pulling it forwards ? Trouble is IIR the mk2 rapid has no trigger guard, so attaching it to the timber might get tricky.

Or pick any mag fed gun you like where rigging up one of these arrangement would be easy, i.e. with a metal trigger guard. A rifle where spare blades and triggerguards are cheaply / easily purchased makes thing even easier, as you can permenantly modify them both the mount either end of the spring, without devaluing the rifle.

Another alternative is buying a crosman 1077.. long, heavy crap trigger, multishot... but low power and not very accurate.
    Yep I'd agree with John. A blister inducing crosman trigger would serve you well.
    B.A.S.C. member

Until the NSRA changed the rules, LSR triggers had to be 500 grams or more. I modified my S410 and a FX to reach 500 grams on the first stage alone, with just another few grams tipping the second stage. In other words the sear engagement was set very fine so the actual let off was still crisp.

The S410 needed a much stronger spring in the usual place at the front of the trigger guard, and the FX needed a new spring behind the trigger blade as outlined above.

The same technique should be OK to reach 2kg pull.

Last year the NSRA changed the rules to admit any trigger weight that the Range Officer deemed safe.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Thanks Gentlemen. I need close to MOA accuracy so that rules out the Crossman I think....
    Will have a look at the weekend re springs.