Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diana overlooked/underated?

Diana overlooked/underated?

Having recently got myself a new Diana 34 classic ive found out that they are a gem of a air rifle, the internal and external finish, the tolerances it's made to along with the quality of the barrel and also barrel lockup is second to none and in some areas far superior to a hw.

And I find this as a bit of a shock as all I've ever heard from people is that Diana air rifles are miles behind hw made with cheap stamped parts a inferior triggers which couldn't be further from the truth with my example.

What's the consensus on here?

I like mine bought on Bigtoe recommendation and yea it's good liked it so much I got a 280 like that too. To6 trigger is great I've not touched them bar a lube after 50 shots they were bone dry when I bought them. Paid a little more than I paid for my 98 for the two, so a win,like the 98 too.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    Having recently got myself a new Diana 34 classic ive found out that they are a gem of a air rifle, the internal and external finish, the tolerances it's made to along with the quality of the barrel and also barrel lockup is second to none and in some areas far superior to a hw.

And I find this as a bit of a shock as all I've ever heard from people is that Diana air rifles are miles behind hw made with cheap stamped parts a inferior triggers which couldn't be further from the truth with my example.

What's the consensus on here?
    Those opinions are generally expressed by those who've never owned one.

Earlier this year I had 3 280's and a 34 here.

The problem with Diana is their pricing and odd marketing strategy. Unless they handle that better they'll stay the unknown gem for most over here.

The 280 is certainly a match for a 95 and to be honest I think HW quality has fallen well behind that of Diana now
    B.A.S.C. member

Well I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in my findings, and yes the last hw95 I got new was atrocious and had to go back the 99s I got was fine tho but when paying for premium I don't expect numerous issues. This Diana dosen't have one area that I think could be finished better which is more than I can say about any of the new he's I've bought in the last few years.

My old 34 to1 is very high quality, apart from the plastic trigger blade. My 430 was pretty good and a match for new HW's. Scare stories about new Pistons being poorly made has put me and many others off them now along with Chinese links but German prices.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    My old 34 to1 is very high quality, apart from the plastic trigger blade. My 430 was pretty good and a match for new HW's. Scare stories about new Pistons being poorly made has put me and many others off them now along with Chinese links but German prices.
    Never experienced the piston fault that was raised a while ago (rods coming loose) and never heard of that issue here, but the smaller 280 pistons do suffer from being pushed out of line during the process of the piston body being fixed to the head by crimping. Easily rectified though.
    B.A.S.C. member

I've heard and seen photos of this but mine was fine luckily,but as you say easily fixed . Again maybe I was lucky but I thought £220 for a brand new Diana 34 was ok, plain stock but I'm a southpaw so it's a plus for me. The bone dry innards was a pain but I suppose better than packed with grease.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Those opinions are generally expressed by those who've never owned one.
    I bought a new 280 last year, worst built gun I've ever owned. QC is non existent; it went straight back. It wasn't a one off either, I've seen others with some of the same issues.
    It's great if you guys get good ones, but please don't tell us we're making it up.

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    I bought a new 280 last year, worst built gun I've ever owned. QC is non existent; it went straight back. It wasn't a one off either, I've seen others with some of the same issues.
    It's great if you guys get good ones, but please don't tell us we're making it up.
    What issues did it have? I find it hard to believe that me and others on here have found them made to tighter tolerances than hw's but you say they have no QC and are worse than chinese rifle?

I'm happy to be proved wrong tho I just find it hard to believe bud.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, my old 34 (t05 IIRC) is very nicely made... was trying to sell it earlier, but no interest.. weird as you say they are decent quality for sure..

anyone know if the newer (longer forend) 34 stocks fit the older actions ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    I've heard and seen photos of this but mine was fine luckily,but as you say easily fixed . Again maybe I was lucky but I thought £220 for a brand new Diana 34 was ok, plain stock but I'm a southpaw so it's a plus for me. The bone dry innards was a pain but I suppose better than packed with grease.
    Where did you buy a new 34 for at that price?

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Where did you buy a new 34 for at that price?
    I'm not sure where he bought one for that price but I bought my new one from kirklees guns last week for the same £220 price tag, it's a 34 classic in .22 and a bargain for that price they have had it a while upstairs it's stamped 2016 but was fresh in the bag and box.

I've always liked Diana's 45/34/38/52 etc they are well built accurate airguns but my opinion is the equivalent HW's are just that bit better.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    I'm not sure where he bought one for that price but I bought my new one from kirklees guns last week for the same £220 price tag, it's a 34 classic in .22 and a bargain for that price they have had it a while upstairs it's stamped 2016 but was fresh in the bag and box.
    Snap. Bought the 280 there for the same price but I think they've gone up a bit now.

I have a 46 stutzen. Well happy with it. Or if we are talking Originals as well, then I also have a 45 and a 50. Both are excellent bits of kit.
    Last edited by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH; 14-07-2018 at 06:29 AM.