Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifle opinions

New rifle opinions

Hi all, been a bit of a lurker, but not posted before.

I'm in the process of selling my FX impact as it's a bit of a pig and even if it can be gotten to shoot straight, I've got to the point where I'd just rather see the back of it.

So I'll be looking to replace it. While I'd love to buy a used gun, other than my s510 US, I've had nothing but bad luck with them unfortunately, so will also be considering new for some peace of mind (but will not rule out pre owned, but will be a lot more strict with who I buy from).

Ideally I'd like to keep the budget to around 800 if possible, and have a few ideas at present, such an FX streamline. I'm a member on another forum, and due to the brand loyalties etc which exist there, I know what those guys would suggest, and it's always the same things, not necessarily a bad thing. However, it would be good to see if any other suggestions come up from you guys, which I wouldn't get over there.

My requirements are:

Multishot PCP
    Cylinder rather than bottle, but with a decent shot count (I use a pump, but prefer pumping more, but less frequently)
    Light weight
    Very quiet (for reference the impact with telescopic shroud was a bit loud for my garden)
    Ideally be able to fit a picatinni rail without much fuss, although I am tempted by a javelin bipod
    Can be rifle or bullpup, not too fussed

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for having me here
    Hugh

Good choice with the Streamline. Excellent quality , very pointable, accurate and very quiet. Best wishes, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mcmj View Post
    Good choice with the Streamline. Excellent quality , very pointable, accurate and very quiet. Best wishes, Mark
    Thanks Mark. It does indeed look a belter, although a bit if a bargepole with a moderator attached (although as said, I like shooting off bipod, so length isn't an immediate concern, not until I get a dense woodland permission at least). Just wondering if there is anything I've overlooked beyond the suggestions I normally see (hw100/110, s410/510, r10 etc). I'm also reading up on the offerings from Zbroia as while there seem to be few owners, the little feedback around suggests they're going from strength to strength and putting out some great stuff at the price point.
    Last edited by Hughlle; 13-07-2018 at 08:48 PM.

I'd buy a s/h BSA and have it blueprinted and moderated to your spec if a standard silencer not enough

If you've not shot a JB BSA, you are missing out ...
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

secretagentmole Guest
    Zbroia Hortista, cylinder, 2 magazines, a shroud that works, regulated, but a hernia to pump up, 300 bar working pressure....

Very nice....
    Last edited by secretagentmole; 13-07-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I'd buy a s/h BSA and have it blueprinted and moderated to your spec if a standard silencer not enough

If you've not shot a JB BSA, you are missing out ...
    Thanks for the reply, but I've a blueprint ultra se already. I have to admit I am anything but impressed. Harder to cock than my springers, the hammer is almost as loud as my springers when dry fired without air in the res, and the shroud he installed makes it as loud as my springers. I know he does fantastic work, but the tuned gun I bought second hand is definitely not one of them (although it could certainly be that the guy I bought it from meddled with it once the AT was removed). No more BSA for me (although I love my BSA supersporter even if it kicks like a mule).

What gun ?

As you want a large shot count a twin cylinder rifle like the AA tc or Sumatra could fit the bill .

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    As you want a large shot count a twin cylinder rifle like the AA tc or Sumatra could fit the bill .
    A long cylinder Hortista in .177 has over 200 shots, should be enough.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlle View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but I've a blueprint ultra se already. I have to admit I am anything but impressed. Harder to cock than my springers, the hammer is almost as loud as my springers when dry fired without air in the res, and the shroud he installed makes it as loud as my springers. I know he does fantastic work, but the tuned gun I bought second hand is definitely not one of them (although it could certainly be that the guy I bought it from meddled with it once the AT was removed). No more BSA for me (although I love my BSA supersporter even if it kicks like a mule).
    Ah a fellow AGF member. Its hardly fair to describe the performance of a heavily messed about with pile of junk bought at night in a service station car park from someone you dont know with an unmolested Blueprint Tuned reflex silencer/shrouded Ultra. Chalk and cheese. Did you ever bother to contact JB to find out if it was his work and how much it would cost to get sorted as was suggested in your thread about it on AGF?

Compatto might suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlle View Post
    Have you spoken to JB about it ? I would suggest a call, leave a message if he doesn't pick up and he will call you back

I've had several several rifles that JB worked on and no issues with them
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

If you want a trouble free PCP dump your pump buy a bottle and only use clean dry air!!!!!

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Zbroia Hortista, cylinder, 2 magazines, a shroud that works, regulated, but a hernia to pump up, 300 bar working pressure....

Very nice....
    Forgot to add, has a picatinny scope rail as standard...

Thumbs up

My RFD has got my old Impact GSX100 on the shelf for £700 (I think?)

It's​ in excellent condition and, fits your requirements.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Ah a fellow AGF member. Its hardly fair to describe the performance of a heavily messed about with pile of junk bought at night in a service station car park from someone you dont know with an unmolested Blueprint Tuned reflex silencer/shrouded Ultra. Chalk and cheese. Did you ever bother to contact JB to find out if it was his work and how much it would cost to get sorted as was suggested in your thread about it on AGF?
    Nope. Absorbed the cost a good while back, so i've happily consigned that gun to gathering rust in the corner. Bought my s510 about a week after the ultra and never touched the ultra again due to the comparative inferiority in build quality.

Will take a look at the hirtista, else it looks like it might be the streamline.