Thread: RWS Diana 52 - tuning options....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

RWS Diana 52 - tuning options....

I recently got hold of a very nice rifle which I'd hankered after for some years; a Diana 52 'Ultra Carbine' in .22 calibre.

It's a rifle I'd always liked the look of, especially in this configuration with ultra short barrel and to top it off this one is cosmetically near perfect and has a lovely looking stock. As far as I'm aware, it's bog-standard internally. It has the open sights present (although I use a scope on it) and is the model with T05 trigger according to previous owners.

So, I'm pretty happy with it BUT....

I know that, like most springers, they can be fettled to shoot a lot better. My options are as follows:

1. Simple route- buy new seals and a drop in kit from either Tinbum or V-Mach etc., to keep costs down.
    2. Complex route- spend £200-£300 sending it to a professional for something like a proper short-stroke job & sleeved down piston.
    3. Leave it as it is and put the cash towards another rifle.

I know that option 1 should smooth things a little and get rid of the bit of 'twang' the rifle currently has. Option 2 should seriously transform the shot cycle of the rifle and currently Tony Leach is favourite for the work if I go that route, as he's done quite a bit of development with the 52/54 platforms.
    Option 3 is least favourite but, given that I've recently got myself a new shooting permission, I'm after something more suited to hunting; I know the 52 is perfectly capable but my preference is a break barrel or possibly even a PCP in .177 calibre...

Decisions, decisions.

Would you get it fettled? If so, which option & why? I know ultimately only I can decide but opinions on here are always welcome...

Cheers
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Buy a T06 Trigger piston kit from sportwaffen for about 60 quid and have a custom guide and top hat made, relube it properly -

That's my advice for best improvement for your money

A V Mach spring would be an ideal mainspring in one of those too - BAR ??
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Buy a T06 Trigger piston kit from sportwaffen for about 60 quid and have a custom guide and top hat made, relube it properly -

That's my advice for best improvement for your money

A V Mach spring would be an ideal mainspring in one of those too - BAR ??
    Thanks mate. I've had a look at that site but unfortunately the T06 kit is on 'pre-order' with no specified delivery. Chambers do list them in stock but at over £90.

Does the T06 have major benefits over the T05? Have to admit I've not done much research in that respect...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

What do you want to do with it?

Plinker: leave as is.

Serious hunter/FT: big tune.

My old 52 (factory slow lazy spring and restricted set-up) is a nice plinker (aka informal target rifle). Improving it much would cost at least what it’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    What do you want to do with it?

Plinker: leave as is.

Serious hunter/FT: big tune.

My old 52 (factory slow lazy spring and restricted set-up) is a nice plinker (aka informal target rifle). Improving it much would cost at least what it’s worth.
    Well, I had intended it being a jack of all trades, so a bit of bunny bashing plus some plinking & informal (not club competition) HFT style target shooting. That said, it's a .22 so I'd no real intentions or expectations for anything ultra serious for it. It's just a rifle I'd wanted for a long time and having finally found one in the right condition I'd like to use it rather than just look at it.

If I'm brutally honest, I know that to have this rifle seriously (professionally) tuned would be my heart ruling head and that something like a 97k in .177 (or a new Walther LGV) would be a more 'efficient' proposition as target/occasional hunting rifle. I don't really want to leave it 'standard' long term though, it's too nice a rifle to be left sounding like a dodgy bed spring every time the trigger is pulled...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Forget the T06 trigger - instead do the T05 two screw trigger mod - very easy and cost about 10p for a second adjustment screw. Gives an excellent result.