Thread: BSA XL SE .22 Advice

BSA XL SE .22 Advice

Hi,

I have just purchased a brand new BSA XL SE .22 for pest control having previously seen several recommendations on U-tube.

I am however very disappointed with the first results!

Having zeroed the the scope using H&Wpellets (Medium grain) I could not get over how inconsistent the pellet grouping was - it was so bad I took it back to the Gunsmith who removed the original sight rail and replaced the Bushnell (Trophy)scope directly onto the top of the barrel to try again.

I appreciate spring air rifles do take time to bed in but IĀ’ve never encountered the problem with any of my previous Weirauch springers (HW90,HW 80, or HW97KT).

To be brutally honest the Rifle is quite hideous and I would never have purchased if IĀ’d known how badly it was going to perform.

I mentioned a replacement V-Mach spring to the Gunsmith but he didnĀ’t recommend such a solution.

Can anybody please give me some advice on how I might improve shot grouping as I am so very dissatisfied with the performance of this air Rifle!!

I look forward to hearing your replies

Kind regards
    Lee.

Update

Big thanks to everyone who replied but unfortunately I have decided to buy a Weirauch 95S .22

Having tried several different pellets I could not get any group consistency - I just found the trigger much to agricultural and nothing like my old BSA Lightening. Other Club members tried the Rifle on the range and came to the same conclusion the trigger was far too stiff. It was a expensive mistake as the Rifle has been traded back to the dealer for a replacement Weirauch. I’ve previously owned a Weirauch HW80, HW90, HW97K & HW100KT - everyone a superb Rifle with the excellent Reckford triggers which could be adjusted - I never any problems straight from the box!

Now just looking forward to getting the new Weirauch HW95 Rifle to deal with my vermin problems.

Please do not make the same costly mistake!!

Big Thanks to your replies.
    Regards
    Lee.
    Last edited by Speedystcks; 02-08-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: BSA update

Sorry to say this Lee, but there a dog. If possible get a refund.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Maybe "a dog" is a little too harsh?

For sure, it's harder to get consistent, repeatable accuracy from these compared to more refined rifles, like many of the models from Weihrauch, Air Arms, Walther and Diana.

I'd certainly do some testing with a wider range of pellets to see which your rifle prefers. You might already be well aware of this, but the difference between group sizes of different (even higher quality) pellets can be alarming at times.

Then it will be down to getting to know it better and how best to manage the recoil and surge. They are lively, but paying extra attention to a consistent, loose hold, trigger technique and follow through, you may well see a large improvement.

Maybe make sure that the barrel detent is adequately lubed for consistent lock up in the meantime.

Check that there is no side to side play in the breech to cylinder jaws area. If there is, take it straight back. If it were a used gun, you could accept this and rectify it, but it wouldn't, in my view, be acceptable on a new gun.

If you have a good relationship with the shop, see if he'll be happy to refund / exchange after this extended testing period.

Hope this helps a little.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I spotted a Lightning in the back of a Rentokil van last year,but the pest controller did refer to it as a last resort.

Beg, borrow or buy a selection of pellets, stick to diabolo (round heads) like H&N ftt, AA field, Accupell, RWS super field.
    Pellet selection sets are usually for sale on the bay of e .

In all likelihood one of them will group well, if no joy with any of them I'd take it back as not fit for purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedystcks View Post
    Hi,

I have just purchased a brand new BSA XL SE .22 for pest control having previously seen several recommendations on U-tube.

I am however very disappointed with the first results!

Having zeroed the the scope using H&Wpellets (Medium grain) I could not get over how inconsistent the pellet grouping was - it was so bad I took it back to the Gunsmith who removed the original sight rail and replaced the Bushnell (Trophy)scope directly onto the top of the barrel to try again.

I appreciate spring air rifles do take time to bed in but IĀ’ve never encountered the problem with any of my previous Weirauch springers (HW90,HW 80, or HW97KT).

To be brutally honest the Rifle is quite hideous and I would never have purchased if IĀ’d known how badly it was going to perform.

I mentioned a replacement V-Mach spring to the Gunsmith but he didnĀ’t recommend such a solution.

Can anybody please give me some advice on how I might improve shot grouping as I am so very dissatisfied with the performance of this air Rifle!!

I look forward to hearing your replies

Kind regards
    Lee.
    Hi, just to clarify, what pellets are you using? Mine did best with H&N FTT. The trigger doesn't help but before you write it off try a few different quality pellets.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Beg, borrow or buy a selection of pellets, stick to diabolo (round heads) like H&N ftt, AA field, Accupell, RWS super field.
    Pellet selection sets are usually for sale on the bay of e .

In all likelihood one of them will group well, if no joy with any of them I'd take it back as not fit for purpose.
    Sound advice,and indeed, if all else fails invoke the lemon law.

I have one of these although it's the GRT variant. At first I was reasonably happy with things but then it seemed to go off for some reason, so much so that it got relegated down the pecking order.

After giving it some thought I, like you, removed the riser and fitted the scope directly to the dovetails. Big mistake because I ran out of elevation but then realised that I had heard BSA dovetails are different to the norm and needed specific width mounts. New BSA dedicated mounts obtained and things were looking better.

All along it seemed that most pellets were a rather tight fit so after much testing I settled on JSB 5.50.

It now groups at 1/2" @ 25yds on a good day and 5/8" on a not so good day, both are enough for me and its intended useage and I dare bet that a better shot could improve on that, or at least have better consistency.

Pretty sure V-mach don't offer parts made for the spanish made ones.

Barrels can be an issue and can suffer tight spots along the length that can really affect accuracy.

My advice would be if you're not happy , take it back.
    B.A.S.C. member

I hate to say it, Lee - but I'm not in the least bit surprised. There are far better Chinese rifles out there at half the price of a Lightning...

Definitely check the barrel for sign of a choke in the middle, mine is an older XL model which had this problem, it now has a Mercury barrel on & was instantly transformed so it groups sub inch at 20M, & is now a Supersport. Push a pellet through with a cleaning rod, it shouldn't tighten up until the last inch or so. I'm using RWS SuperH Points nowadays on rats, but usually at 10M or less.

I was on J Knibbs site today they are sell barrels for BSA's at £45 they look like rejects, sight fixing screws are under the barrel or the brazing was done wrong!!

Mine shot very well with jsb and found the trigger was ok, only sold it as I had two and preferred the tactical stock and the older Brummy trigger than the Gamo affair. Once sorted they make decent guns, i wouldn't expect many positive comments.