Thread: High Pressure Pumps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    Quite a bit of discussion on here about it:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ght=compressor

Bit 50/50, some people love the idea but many like myself prefer the assurance of the drive bottle for a dry supply. There are a few folks on here who use them.
    Also if you're having a 12L 300bar cylinder filled for £7 you need to refill your rifle with the compressor over 2500 times to break even on cost. I rather suspect the cheap compressor will have died or need servicing by then extending that count further.
    That's a surprising amount, can you explain your maths please.

£7 x 2500 = £17,500 these cheap compressors cost a couple hundred quid don't they? - where does the other 17 grand come from?

Brian I did a double take I think he means £7 for the divers bottle, which in turn fills the gun a number of times

Not sure the maths is quite right though
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

A hundred fills at the dive centre £700, it would be cheaper to throw away the compressor and buy a new one if it went wrong!!!!!
    ps that £700 dues not include fuel to get there.

Like anything else your personal circumstances are what makes or breaks the cost, by the time I pay for fuel it costs me about £12-£13 per cyl fill but I probably only fill it once a year.

At that rate even the cheapest on the bay would take 10-15 years to break even, & that's allowing for cylinder test costs,

OTOH for someone who's getting their cyl filled every other month It might pay for itself in 2-3 years, assuming it lasts that long

if you have facebook this is the group to look at PCP Compressors & Tanks, "The Good, Bad and Ugly"

I based that on 60 fills per bottle with is about what I expect for my gun, it's only an estimate though so yes, the maths is a bit iffy, but there's a lot of variables and it doesn't need to be that accurate really.

I just worked back from the compressor price. Say £300 inc P&P
    I pay £7 a fill for 300Bar 12L, some people get it for £3, some have to pay £10+ then there's fuel, so £7 seems to be a happy median.

£300 / £7 = 42.9 = 43
    So you can at that estimate fill the 12L tank 43 times for the cost of the compressor.
    At 60 fills per tank you get 43 * 60 = 2580
    Even if you estimate for 45 fills per tank you still get 1935
    So given the number of assumptions & estimates I think 2000-2500 refills of the rifle is a pretty fair figure for the purpose of this discussion.

It gets better if you compare to a manual pump, which would be £80-£150 and exhausting work, certainly not recommended for the start of a shooting session. Coupled with the manual pump giving a comparable quality of air it's a lot more tempting.

Do you have to fill a Bottle then use that to fill a rifle?

If you can directly fill the rifle cylinder, then you save the price of a dive bottle.
    I will let other work out the maths for that.