Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holts September Auction.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Just pointing out what it really costs you to buy there.
    For every £500 add £150.
    Not forgetting that they charge the seller fees too, making profit from both... they run a business so it's understandable and the charges are not a secret, on the other hand there are people out there who would be only too pleased to rip you off and make a profit, this I object to.

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Thankfully, nothing I desire in this one.

Dave
    Oh it’s early yet Dave
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Another interesting Lot at this sale, but definitely not my cup of tea.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...8393&saletype=

Brian

Holts auction

The early Webley mk3 has the wrong loading tap (second model two screw side plate) so in my mind it's a bitzer. Approach with a great deal of caution ⚠

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    It looks to good to be an original gun someone trying to pull a fast one barrels are probably Chinese; I hear JK will stamp any no. you like on them!
    Sorry but I do not see the attraction of 6-7ft/lb gun costing £2-3K.
    As someone who would love a 177 barrel for my Mk2, could someone more knowledgeable than me comment on the reference to the barrels being Chinese. I wouldn't like to make an expensive mistake if I saw a barrel for sale.

Also, I will just comment that I bought a mint canvas and leather Brady shotgun case at a local bootfair recently for £30. Hopefully when refitted inside it will house my Mk2.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Another interesting Lot at this sale, but definitely not my cup of tea.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...8393&saletype=

Brian
    Hmm. I wonder if Mr Scaramanga knows Holts have got his air pistol

Purists would want it all correct, and i share that view too. I have no idea about this rifle example.

A lovely boxed presented air rifle of this type, in fabulous authentic little used condition, has great appeal. As just a piece of gun engineering in the right setting, right gun room, then these kinds of objects are always going to fetch good money. Presentation case Luger or whatever, have a certain class and just lovely to own.

There are guns you use, and guns to admire. For any collection its nice to mix it up a bit, and presentation grade always look great. Price is how wealthy you are and to some two to three £K is normal for something they fancy. When there are those losing £40k on their Range Rover every three years, then what price gun that they like really is not an issue. Same for those who pay for a full season pheasant shooting. You earn it you buy the toys you fancy. Don't moan, get a better paid job, or buy a lottery ticket and live in hope. For those who can afford such luxuries, honestly earned, good luck to them.

There was a fantasic Webley Service Revolver the other year. I would loved to have owned it. Sadly I couldn't have afforded it at the time, plus wouldn't have been allowed to own it. No Sig 226, but it was just so pleasing to the eye and I loved it. Not allowing to be able to have it at all in this Country annoyed me most.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    The early Webley mk3 has the wrong loading tap (second model two screw side plate) so in my mind it's a bitzer. Approach with a great deal of caution ⚠
    Good point well spotted; it's not the first Mk.3 I've seen like that. The early grooved stocks always make the rifle more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion, but need careful checking for splits, and I'm not sure when serial numbers were imprinted in the stocks.

After looking at the cased Service again, I have little doubt it will exceed £2k. I will be watching the BSA Centenary with interest as I have a .177(rifle and scope only), that I intend to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    The first pattern tap was poorly designed. It had very small locating surfaces in the lever and quickly swaged itself loose, resulting in clipped pellets and shotgun patterns. If returned to the factory, they would probably have retro fitted the second type. I have seen several very early mk3s like this. The stock may be an original birch alternative that has been lightly refinished. Difficult to determine from the photo.

Another 'Marmite' offering at this particular auction.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...8394&saletype=

Brian

holts

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    After looking at the cased Service again, I have little doubt it will exceed £2k. I will be watching the BSA Centenary with interest as I have a .177(rifle and scope only), that I intend to sell.
    With reference to the description of the centenary with all its extras,its the first time i have known oil evaporate from a sealed bottle,should be
    described as oil has been used.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Another 'Marmite' offering at this particular auction.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...8394&saletype=

Brian
    I like Marmite but I don't like that.

bit miffed with holts at moment, bought an SLR98 in .177 as described in the last sealed bid sale only to pick it up from my rfd yesterday to discover it is .22 already have a couple in .22 so I will be ringing them Monday to see what they want to do about it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I like Marmite but I don't like that.
    Totally agree, yikes!