Thread: Interesting SMK

Interesting SMK

I was asked to respring an ailing SMK 19,.....Well I could not believe the response from SMK when asked for a spring.....
    Sorry our gunsmith is on holiday and we only have export springs which produce 22ftlb!!.....
    Yeah right.....just send it please.....
    Well I wasn't going to get a 22ftlb spring now was I.....no someone had hacked it for me.....badly......after redressing the last coil and flattening off.....I fitted it into the 19 with a little grease.....almost no preload, it was just a gentle push in and replace the pin.....
    Time for the chrono and TBH I wasn't expecting a lot but was very plesently surprised with a nice 11.2 and smooth cycle.....am I underrating these things....can they do 20ftlb?? Any one have more experience with these??

No way I can see a SMK XS19 hitting 22fpe. 15-16fpe is the unrestricted factory power output. Crosman use the same action but use a longer spring and shorter back block. These unmolested run around 18-5fpe.

Most we got out of my sons one was just over 13, though that took a couple or so of collapsed coils to bring back to 11.6, still a lovely shooting gun though, just a shame that he didn't get a 177 one. Our fault for using too lighter pellets during a testing session. It's now got a Benjamin Trail stock fitted.

A gunsmith told me they're a very efficient design and produce power very easily. Kinda wish I still had mine

Would have been confusion between J and fpe. as 22J is ~16.2 fpe.

I briefly owned an SMK 19,it shot at around 10.5ft/lbs had a firm breech lock up and a quiet smooth firing cycle.

An underrated rifle given its Chinese origins?.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    I briefly owned an SMK 19,it shot at around 10.5ft/lbs had a firm breech lock up and a quiet smooth firing cycle.

An underrated rifle given its Chinese origins?.
    I have a really nice one of these in a hardwood stock, it's quite a well made gun, my only problem is that I can't get on with the Gamo trigger.

I've tried all the tricks with taking the trigger Spring out and fitting a little bearing to the trigger blade but I still can't get it right.
    My next step is to fit the genuine Gamo trigger unit I bought off here and try again.

All the best Mick

These triggers have three levels of tweek; increase the length of the m3 trigger screw, add an rc bearing as a roller on the sear or add a larger bearing,depending on the individual trigger unit. If you add a roller, check the safety and abt still work. If anyone needs some rollers, I have some spare in both sizes

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    These triggers have three levels of tweek; increase the length of the m3 trigger screw, add an rc bearing as a roller on the sear or add a larger bearing,depending on the individual trigger unit. If you add a roller, check the safety and abt still work. If anyone needs some rollers, I have some spare in both sizes
    Cheers Mark.

I tried the rollers you gave me and still couldn't get a clean breaking trigger which is why I bought the genuine Gamo unit for comparison.

My anti bear trap went in the bin the day I got the gun.

The staff at SMK are nothing but liars!

I bought a second hand QB36 that I thought had trigger bits missing, Got in touch with them to buy the parts and was told that they had an agreement with the trading standards people never to supply parts to the general public in case they hurt themselves fitting them, they won't get my custom now i'm afraid

As it turned out the parts were actually there, They had somehow got inside the gun!, I stripped it and found them all but the cra**y plastic cylinder end had broken into loads of bits, Was going to make a steel one but couldn't be bothered!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    The staff at SMK are nothing but liars!

I bought a second hand QB36 that I thought had trigger bits missing, Got in touch with them to buy the parts and was told that they had an agreement with the trading standards people never to supply parts to the general public in case they hurt themselves fitting them, they won't get my custom now i'm afraid

As it turned out the parts were actually there, They had somehow got inside the gun!, I stripped it and found them all but the cra**y plastic cylinder end had broken into loads of bits, Was going to make a steel one but couldn't be bothered!!

John
    I haven't got any time for them John, as we fell out a couple of years back when I took Giles side in the "12 Days of Christmas" debacle the other Christmas. Well they fell out with me TBH. Any way, I can understand their point of view as they sold some spares to an idiot, who then hurt himself, then sued them and won the case. After that no more direct sales.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

......got in touch with them to buy the parts and was told that they had an agreement with the trading standards people never to supply parts to the general public in case they hurt themselves fitting them, they won't get my custom now i'm afraid

John
    I've had this response from a few manufacturers now ie they won't deal direct for safety reasons, however, it hasn't stopped me obtaining parts through my RFD.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootfish View Post
    I've had this response from a few manufacturers now ie they won't deal direct for safety reasons, however, it hasn't stopped me obtaining parts through my RFD.
    But then the onus is on the RFD, not manufacturer or importer.