Thread: Is it worth it?

Is it worth it?

Since fitting the nose extension to my 77 I've had this niggling thoughts about re-doing the pellet test. I tried 5 or 6 different brands before the short stroke and I picked the one which gave me the best efficiency at the muzzle. Now, I didn't spend ages group testing as apart from one brand they all seemed to group reasonably well, I'm just wondering if now I've changed the stroke is it worth checking & comparing the power & grouping of all these pellets again?
    Will the short stroking process have any effect on the efficiency or accuracy of one pellet to the next?
    I have a sneaky suspension that it does but wanted to consult at the church of air gun knowledge first...
    Thanks guys & girls!
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yes it will change things, no doubt. Doesn't mean the same pellet won't still be best, but absolutely no guarantees.

Energy and pelet release point in releation to piston position are most likely to change
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

very much worth testing again.

The most effective pellet is not always the most consistently accurate, so use the efficient one to chrono for muzzle energy, & the accurate one for general shooting.

I'd definitely test again, for power and accuracy.

Power is likely to be substantially lower (unless you've built in some compensation) but I can't see you've suggested you have.

The way the power is delivered with the shorter stroke may affect how the pellets act in the rifling. This may change again, if after testing you feel you need to increase the preload to regain some power.
    B.A.S.C. member

Yeah, what they all said.

However, if your previous choice still groups into .30” or less at 25-30 metres, I wouldn’t bother - just stick with it.