Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 95 that’s a bit worse for wear.

A 95 that’s a bit worse for wear.

A lad I know has a 95 that’s in need of some TLC. The blueing is a bit ratty, and mechanically would need a rebuild. He was considering getting this done, but I have suggested he’d be better selling it as a do er upper so to speak.
    What kind of money could he expect as is?
    Alternatively, what kind of money would he need to spend to get it right again?

Cheers

Have a search on here. There was a thread recently from a member buying a beat up 95 from a mate. I expect it will have all the information you will need.
    Cheers Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by don1971 View Post
    A lad I know has a 95 that’s in need of some TLC. The blueing is a bit ratty, and mechanically would need a rebuild. He was considering getting this done, but I have suggested he’d be better selling it as a do er upper so to speak.
    What kind of money could he expect as is?
    Alternatively, what kind of money would he need to spend to get it right again?

Cheers
    I recently started a thread about a tatty 95. I picked it up for £50 with slip sling and scope it shoots ok just twangs like and old guitar and has a bleach blonde stock. I have just ordered a maxi pro kit from tinbum with piston seal. So all in now I have a 95 that when finished will have set me back £120 before I buy a original stock or get it reblued. Hope this helps Dave

A few pics of the gun. I guess the question is if he was to flog it what is it worth, or if he was to do it up what will it cost him..

Umm, Don, why are you taking pictures of a 95 while you're on the bog?

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    Umm, Don, why are you taking pictures of a 95 while you're on the bog?
    That’s my mate who owns the gun. Maybe he keeps it in the toilet.

A 95 that’s a bit worse for wear.

what's that sticking out the top of the last pc

Also why does it look like hes naked?

I love how these threads can go off on a tangent

My advice would be for your mate to strip it and sort it himself - it looks doable and, he'll find lots of help and advice on here and other forums.
    Also, he'll get to know his rifle inside out along the way 👍

All of the above.

Basic fettling / tuning costs, approx £60 for kit / spring and no labour fees in that.

Bluing expect around £110 for a strip and re black.

As the restoration cost is high it may be better passed on as a less than perfect example.

As a rifle thats avaialble in high numbers I'd say current value is less than £100
    B.A.S.C. member

I'd be servicing it, replacing any parts needed, and leave the cosmetics alone. Always nice to have a sweet shooting "rough" gun that you're not over-precious over getting pis--d wet through or scrawked.

If the cylinder and barrel are good, costs should be minimal.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I'd be servicing it, replacing any parts needed, and leave the cosmetics alone. Always nice to have a sweet shooting "rough" gun that you're not over-precious over getting pis--d wet through or scrawked.

If the cylinder and barrel are good, costs should be minimal.
    yeah, that's the sensible way to go, and value in that context probably just short of or maybe up to a ton, as mentioned above.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thank you for the input gents, I have given my man the just and he quite like the idea of the ‘sleeper’.

I think I bought this tatty 95 for £100, The stock was 'orrible yellow colour and split/repaired, The action I guess was devoid of any blueing as the cylinder was painted black and the barrel wrapped in fake carbon vinyl!!

Chris Hough gave me the early HW85 stock as he had a few, I prefer this stock to the 95's proper one it's just so comfy!

The gun looks terrible but is smoother than a gals inner thigh!, It'll need a reblue at some point!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Johnbaz,
    Please could you advise if your 85 stock has its original finish and if that finish is oiled or varnished/lacquered?
    Cheers
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)