Thread: scotland and airguns

scotland and airguns

hi a question if anyone knows. can you sell and post a uk under 12 ftlbs airgun to Scotland via the post office or has it got to be via an rfd because of their licence laws ? how would you have to do such a thing to be above its law ? can anybody enlighten me please . regards gc93...

I would have said that a private sale conducted in good faith, it is the buyers responsibility to ensure they are legally allowed to purchase and own the weapon.
    sending a springer is the usual Parcel Farce 24, but sending a PCP seems to have various conflicting opinions, however it is against Royal Mails T&C to send a compressed air vessel anywhere in the UK - so its probably an RFD for that one.

If in any doubt on what to do it would be best policy to call Police Scotland's Licensing office in Glasgow on 0141 552 4693, they will keep you on the right side of the law and are really helpful with queries.

ATB Scott

I would say apply the laws of the country you live in where the item will be posted, the laws of another country are not your concern.

In England posting it is legal, subject to RM/PF rules.

Similar thread below, concluded the Scottish license is the buyers concern not a sender from England.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....sting+scotland

12 pages of posting info HERE:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....osting-Airguns

PF 48 for large items (comp limit £100), PF48 or RMSD for smaller items (higher Comp limit with RMSD).

No pressure cylinders (CO2/PCP) with PF and RM. That can even be thought to be empty ones (pistols HAVE been scrapped with an empty CO2 bulb in).
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

I’ve bought a few pistols lately from down south on freeadds and I think both guys are on this forum
    Always send a copy of my licence first and so far everyone is ok with that and then sent it by parcelforce 48
    I have received all no problem
    Also was passing through barnyard castle a few months ago and spotted a pistol I liked at the local shop
    The guy did ask for my licence after he took my details for warranty
    He said he didn’t need to as the police had informed him if anyone from Scotland comes down to buy guns it’s ok to sell to them without a licence
    But being a good responsible shop they always ask for a licence

replies

hi thanks for the info chaps .... regards gc93...

I've posted to scotland using pf48. As far as I'm aware there are no restrictions on English airgun owners sending to Scotland.
    The responsibility lies with the Scottish purchaser to make sure he is compliant with Scottish law.

Good practice to ask for proof of license though. Then if something does go pear shaped you as a seller have done everything possible to trade safely and legally.
    B.A.S.C. member

posting

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I've posted to scotland using pf48. As far as I'm aware there are no restrictions on English airgun owners sending to Scotland.
    The responsibility lies with the Scottish purchaser to make sure he is compliant with Scottish law.

Good practice to ask for proof of license though. Then if something does go pear shaped you as a seller have done everything possible to trade safely and legally.
    thanks for the input , atb gc93...