Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
The American B.B gun
The one book that did have reasonable prices when it was published was The American B.B Gun by Arni T. Dunathan. But it was only published one time, then republished decades later without attempts to update prices. As a result, nothing in that book has been reliable, price-wise, since the middle 1970s. Also, this book only covers BB guns, leaving pellet guns high and dry.

The Blue Book has been published annually since its inception, and each edition gets progressively better. The fifth edition is due out in a short time and will be the most comprehensive book published to date.

Don’t trust internet prices!
Some gun dealers and internet sellers haven’t got a clue what they’re selling. I see “Benjamin Franklin” airguns for sale all the time (no such airgun ever existed!). Their owners don’t know they have common Benjamin airguns, worth very little because all the black nickel and silver nickel underneath has been rubbed off. So they ask $250 for a “Benjamin Franklin” 130 whose brass has been shined up like a trumpet. Such a gun would be worth $50 if it held air – and most don’t.
Got my first copy of Dunathan in the 80s and his prices were ridiculously low then. But, he was collecting in prime BB gun territory and no doubt around Detroit and vicinity, BB guns would be at the lowest possible price. In the 60s would Dunathan prices be realistic? Perhaps.

It's my view that the Daisy prices are going down (those seen on ) a lot of very desirable models have been coming up for sale and not selling. There have been model 21s all over the place and usually not selling.

With vintage pellet guns, an entirely different market in the US, things have been very active with some items selling for fantastic prices. Mint Benjamin rifles from the 70s with all the paper in the box have gone for $1000 plus. Crazy, yes, but, there it is. Still, some really rare items escape attention and get picked up for cheap. Anyone looking to lay down heavy money for an American vintage airgun should post here or on the AVA and get an opinion.

I have the 8th edition of the BB, is there a different Euro edition?

I helped in the first editions and went over with the editor (Beeman) on the prices. They were consulting a good number of people but the prices were determine entirely by opinion and are in no way related to any actual sales, other than those considered by those consulted. I pushed back on a lot of later Benjamin prices because they were just wild guesstimates with no basis in reality, but, that doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong.