Thread: Hw80

Hw80

, Not stripped one before, but picked a "new" sleeper rifle up Wednesday(in 177) & thought i would have a go at a self tune. Do you have to remove the trigger unit to unscrew it, or can i unscrew it leaving the trigger unit in place ?.

Rob

Best to tap out the retaining pins before trying to unscrew just in case as they can bend.. It also leaves you a nice slot to put a spanner or similar (wrapped in something soft) to provide any leverage for unscrewing.

On a rifle of unknown quantity I'd definitely remove the trigger unit.
    Unscrewing the rear block with trigger in place makes it hard to handle if you don't know the rifle and how much preload is on the spring.
    Drift out the 2 pins (whilst keeping your thumb over the safety button to stop it flying out.
    Make sure you retrieve the safety spring as they sometimes don't come out with safety catch.

If the rear block is tight, the trigger has to be removed to usue the slot in the block as leverage to crack the back block away from the action.

Very careful stripping this. Preload could be really high and all metal edges will slice lumps off your fingers
    B.A.S.C. member

Many thanks for the replies, the rifle is new, but was purchased 4yrs ago & put in storage, never fired.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Many thanks for the replies, the rifle is new, but was purchased 4yrs ago & put in storage, never fired.

Rob
    There'll still be a fair amount of preload.
    Block is likely going to be very tight.

I'd recommend removing trigger unit unless you know the rifle.
    B.A.S.C. member

With it being a new rifle and not previously stripped, as everyone else has said, yes, remove the trigger unit. There's a good chance that the end block is very tight and it may require some serious persuasion to get it started. Again, as above, a nice, sturdy steel bar with the end block protected should do it.

If it's a new gun for our power limit, there's a very good chance that static preload will actually be minimal. But better to be safe on your first venture inside. Standard stroke + lots of preload = way over the top power in an '80 if it's not a weedy but long spring.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Toward the end of the threads, a little wiggle of the trigger block will give you an idea of what preload may be on the spring. If you don't have a spring compressor, always have the butt end on a strong surface and press down as you undo and remove with an unknown quantity.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I just leave the trigger block in. I unscrew it with the block on the floor, between my feet, barrel pointing straight up. That way the trigger block jams between your feet and can't turn. With the gun pointing up, when the thread comes free, the spring has to shift the weight of cylinder, piston and barrel so it's not violent.

Having said that, mine has little preload so you might want to be more judicious first time out. If you're being smarter than me and using a compressor, then the trigger block will almost certainly get in the way.

Many thanks for the replies, Timbum i have watched your video !.

Put it over the chrono, & had a 16ft variation over 10 shots, giving me an average of 11.1, so not bad. I then put a scope on it, hawke panorama 4-12x40, & at 10m got a sub 5p group using aa express, think i will shoot it for a bit & see how it settles down.
    Slight spring noise but not as bad as my new 77, slight graunch on cocking.

Regards,

Rob

Bit of range time this morning, what a difference between a tuned & untuned rifle !. I have a highly tuned 80k in .25, all the work was carried out by Geoff Bullock of LSD & it is a sweet rifle, i also have a hw77 tuned with a titanium piston all work carried out by Paul Short & this is a smooooth rifle to shoot, the new 80 though not bad is like going back to the stone age

Hw80

Tbh mate the 80 (depending on age) should be a sweet shoot if you just strip and relube/deburr, also a 20 quid TBT kit will have it running like a venom glided version. I find giving the trigger a good strip clean and polish a massive help on performance of the 80. As we speak I have my own trigger unit and a friends in front of me now ,about to get stripped cleaned and polished,

Yep, i think i agree with you, had one last year & that was nice, so a bit of tlc on this one will suit it nicely i think