Thread: Where can we get target holders like this?

Where can we get target holders like this?

My club need to get new target holders for our indoor range. The current ones are about 20 years old and no one remembers where we got them. Does anyone know where we can get holders like this, or very similar?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai-2O3-Or6XAhgQL-IKLHulHuUDR

We'll probably have to get them made up specially, but it would be useful if they were available off-the-shelf.

Thanks

Alan

Looks a bit like the gamo one that contains 4 or 5 knockdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Looks a bit like the gamo one that contains 4 or 5 knockdowns.
    Like this. But with the front removed.

Looks unusually wide.
    A modern single target version is the Do-All Bullet Box:
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/do-...ber-bullet-box

I suspect you'll have to get them fabricated if they have to be that size.
    If they were folded from say 3mm steel plate and skipped the end plates (overkill if you use 3mm) it should be very cheap.

Hate to disagree but after running an indoor range for ten years can I say that 3mm is not overkill unless you are only shooting 6ft.lb.

We've moved away from 3mm in some cases as constant impact in one place by 177 and 22 pellets from 12ft.lb rifles bends it. Our LSR boxes (20 yards range) are now being fitted with 5mm backplates.

We made a number of boxes from 12mm ply sides and a steel backplate. 177 pellets hit the backplate and shatter into tiny shards of lead which fly off sideways at roughly 90 degrees. These shards have eroded the 12mm ply and in one case we found last month, only one lamination of ply to go before there was a hole in the side of the box.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

I would suggest.....

You try a local fabricator.

Someone like this :

http://www.ifabperth.co.uk/

I don't know them and have never used them but this sort of company would be able to make them for you?

There are lots of others if you google fabricators?

Good luck!
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

If you're going to have them custom built, you could save a bit & think to the future by having the main box made from 2mm but have rails either side of the rear so that you can slide & bolt in a second heavier 4-5MM sheet as the "strike panel" (with a gap between the two) which can then be easily replaced rather than replace the whole box.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    You try a local fabricator.

Someone like this :

http://www.ifabperth.co.uk/

I don't know them and have never used them but this sort of company would be able to make them for you?

There are lots of others if you google fabricators?

Good luck!
    Aye, our local smiddy (aka Agricultural Engineers) would soon knock you up a similar one...…….
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Thanks guys. We just wanted to see if there was anything like these holders available off-the-shelf before talking to our local metal bashers. Seems like there isn't.

Cheers

Alan

Possible option

I realise your old ones may be wider, but you could join these together (or just use them singly): https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/ac...7-x-17cm/20448

Easy enough to modify a little once the bare shell is there if you want to. It is 3mm thick steel and, as has been said, this could deteriorate over time. But you could put a strike plate in (as per angrybears comment) made of any sufficiently dense material (plywood, steel, etc). Not sure what a fabricator would charge to knock up however many you need, but when custom work is required the cost usually reflects that.

We made our boxes out of ply and chipboard and lined the inside with steel sheet. 3mm was hammered by the pellets into a hollow shape and the corners lifted. Now we use a 5mm plate fixed to a thick timber substrate but spaced off the timber by a few mm using rubber grommets.

Initially we made the mistake of angling the striker plate at 45 degrees, thinking the pellet would bounce downwards. But because the pellets distort they don't behave that way, and the spent pellets tended to slide down the plate and smash holes in the base of the box at the back. We found that an angle of 70 to 80 degrees works much better.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    We made our boxes out of ply and chipboard and lined the inside with steel sheet. 3mm was hammered by the pellets into a hollow shape and the corners lifted. Now we use a 5mm plate fixed to a thick timber substrate but spaced off the timber by a few mm using rubber grommets.

Initially we made the mistake of angling the striker plate at 45 degrees, thinking the pellet would bounce downwards. But because the pellets distort they don't behave that way, and the spent pellets tended to slide down the plate and smash holes in the base of the box at the back. We found that an angle of 70 to 80 degrees works much better.
    My back garden target holder is angled at 45 degrees (2mm sheet, backed by 25mm ply) - yes, the pellets tend to strike down, but cured the problem by sheathing the base as well (same system with 2mm sheet + 25mm ply), have also added a length of steel lintel along the back as a 'spent pellet collecting trough' not had any deformation on the sheet steel, and I use up to 'full' power rifles on it at 10 yards & upwards, though probably not as much as a club or range would.