Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: For crying out loud!

My pet hate? What grates me more than sand in the grunts?

People who should know better that carry their rifle outfits in zipped bags over their shoulder with the opening at the bottom. If the zip fails the rifles falls out. If they hold it the other way there is less stress on the zip and if it does fail the rifle falls into the reinforcing at the bottom of the bag.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    Describing a rifle as accurate when it gives a small group size. That is dispersion and nothing to do with accuracy no matter how often it has been printed as such.
    If a rifle consistency puts its pellets exactly where I've aimed them, and thus produces a small group at the ranges I need - I'm calling that rifle 'accurate'. More importantly by far, the people I'm writing for have the same working definition of 'accurate' as I do. In the real world, a rifle that can be relied upon to group its pellets consistently throughout its intended range will be known as an accurate rifle.

Accurate is as accurate does.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Pet hates

My latest hate is LENSE. No idea where it comes from.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    My latest hate is LENSE. No idea where it comes from.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/lense

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/lense

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    My pet hate? What grates me more than sand in the grunts?

People who should know better that carry their rifle outfits in zipped bags over their shoulder with the opening at the bottom. If the zip fails the rifles falls out. If they hold it the other way there is less stress on the zip and if it does fail the rifle falls into the reinforcing at the bottom of the bag.
    Most bags I've had with zips tend to have the flap you slide the but into so if zip goes it can't really fall out but I take your point
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Hampster

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Anybody that states a gun's calibre as 1.77 or 2.2 should be banished forever.

Rant over.
    But oddly, just like people calling Bullets bullet heads, you know exactly what they mean? You really only have 3 to choose from 2.2 1.77 or 2.0....

I guess the dungeons and dragon season is over. If this is all you lot have to worry about, move to Salisbury (or Andover)
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

The quality of both sites can be seen by their examples
    one uses "lenses" - the correct multiple, the other lists as "lens" - by type the correct singular spelling.

Certificates but spoken as "cesstificate".

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    If a rifle consistency puts its pellets exactly where I've aimed them, and thus produces a small group at the ranges I need - I'm calling that rifle 'accurate'. More importantly by far, the people I'm writing for have the same working definition of 'accurate' as I do. In the real world, a rifle that can be relied upon to group its pellets consistently throughout its intended range will be known as an accurate rifle.

A rifle which puts a tiny group at (say) one corner of the target (when intending to hit the centre) is precise but not accurate.

A rifle which spreads shots evenly all over the target, but with the group centre at the centre of the target is accurate but not precise.

Marksmen seek to achieve both accuracy and precision.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    It’s not a telescopic sight. It’s possibly a telescope sight. It’s definitely an optical sight. Or a glass sight. Unless it is rubbish and has plastic lenses.

Open sights do not include aperture sights, because they are closed.

Sigh. Here I go again.
    It IS a 'telescope sight', and it is a graticule, not a reticule.

"Wembley Ain't Rifle".....a pistol perhaps?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I brought a pellet gun from a garage, with two springs, so when it is cocked, it is cocked twice, so the penertration is amazing, one dustbin and a Yellow Pages. It shoots 11.9 fart-pumps and the scopes on it means its range is 300 yards and the SAS (Special Army Soldiers) use this kind of gun on special missions where they can't have gunpowder (siege in a fireworks factory in a built-up area).

It will go right through a rabbits eye at 100 yards and its 2.2 so its more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    Describing a rifle as accurate when it gives a small group size. That is dispersion and nothing to do with accuracy no matter how often it has been printed as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post

You are both right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It IS a 'telescope sight', and it is a graticule, not a reticule.
    Sadly, it appears that reticle, reticule, and graticule are synonyms.

Of course, cross-hairs aren’t made of hair any more.

As for “ball ammunition”....

The whole “bullet head” nonsense was the fault of UK dealers back when FAC holders could mail order ammo. Apparently people complained that they had thought they’d ordered fully-assembled cartridges, but only got bullet “heads” rather than the assembled ready-to-fire “bullets” (I.e. cartridges).