Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For crying out loud!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    Does he call his fins "flippers".Amateur oldgrin:
    Wouldn't know, subject came up when I saw him struggling gettting his kit out the car and offered him a sack barrow previous owner of house had left, he turned it down
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Describing a rifle as accurate when it gives a small group size. That is dispersion and nothing to do with accuracy no matter how often it has been printed as such.

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    Describing a rifle as accurate when it gives a small group size. That is dispersion and nothing to do with accuracy no matter how often it has been printed as such.
    If a rifle consistency puts its pellets exactly where I've aimed them, and thus produces a small group at the ranges I need - I'm calling that rifle 'accurate'. More importantly by far, the people I'm writing for have the same working definition of 'accurate' as I do. In the real world, a rifle that can be relied upon to group its pellets consistently throughout its intended range will be known as an accurate rifle.

Accurate is as accurate does.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Pet hates

My latest hate is LENSE. No idea where it comes from.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    My latest hate is LENSE. No idea where it comes from.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/lense

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/lense

The quality of both sites can be seen by their examples
    one uses "lenses" - the correct multiple, the other lists as "lens" - by type the correct singular spelling.

Certificates but spoken as "cesstificate".

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    If a rifle consistency puts its pellets exactly where I've aimed them, and thus produces a small group at the ranges I need - I'm calling that rifle 'accurate'. More importantly by far, the people I'm writing for have the same working definition of 'accurate' as I do. In the real world, a rifle that can be relied upon to group its pellets consistently throughout its intended range will be known as an accurate rifle.

A rifle which puts a tiny group at (say) one corner of the target (when intending to hit the centre) is precise but not accurate.

A rifle which spreads shots evenly all over the target, but with the group centre at the centre of the target is accurate but not precise.

Marksmen seek to achieve both accuracy and precision.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

You are both right.

But what if that rifle consistently puts its pellets in a small group somewhere you are not aiming at, is it still accurate?

But what if that rifle consistently puts its pellets in a small group somewhere you are not aiming at, is it still accurate?
    Yes. Your sights are off, but the rifle will be consistent.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Chimleys and windowscreen wipers

Beach wood (unless referring to driftwood)
    Though to be honest, most of the inappropriate/wrong words are down to 'auto-correct' on modern telephonic devices

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Chimleys and windowscreen wipers
    Skelingtons!!
    Some V-glide 80's, V-glide Tomahawk and a couple of Rapids

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Yes. Your sights are off, but the rifle will be consistent.
    What if the "zero" moves around - rifle fault, not a scope fault ? So it shoots a nice 5mm group centred on the centre of the crosshairs one day, then the next it's another 5mm group but centred 1" high, then the following day it's 1" left, etc...

Is it still an "accurate" ?

A practical example of this might be a temp sensitive gun, where day to day temp variations might push the POI arround.. but on each day it still groups very tightly ? Accurate ? Not really...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.