Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pest control in a builders yard

Pest control in a builders yard

Looking for a bit of knowledge here guy's.
    I was at the club today shooting centre-fire, one of the other members approached me and said "you shoot air rifle don't you", I told him that I did, he then added "just targets, or do you do a bit of hunting". I do both I said. Then he got to the point, my boss asked me if I knew anyone, with an air rifle, who could help him out with a pigeon infestation problem. It's a big builders yard, apparently there are dozens of pigeons crapping on the stock, customers cars and even customers occasionally. He wants to thin them out. I've got several other permissions, all of which are farmland. I've never been asked to shoot in this kind of situation. So I'm looking for a bit advice as regards the legal position of using sub 12ft/lb air rifle in that location. Obviously the shooting would only be after the premises have closed for the day.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

As you are on private land, all is well under firearms legislation, so long as you keep your pellets within the boundary. Under the road traffic act, you may not discharge a firearm within 50' of the centre of a highway (scares the horses don't you know).

Thanks Neil54, I was primarily concerned about having just cause to pop a few just because of the guano problem.
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    As you are on private land, all is well under firearms legislation, so long as you keep your pellets within the boundary. Under the road traffic act, you may not discharge a firearm within 50' of the centre of a highway (scares the horses don't you know).
    If in doing so you endanger anybody on the highway . Otherwise carry on . Some of my permissions have footpaths on them . Common sense prevails obviously but that doesn't mean I can't shoot over them .
    We used to shoot on industrial estates , totally secure with gates , barriers security guard and cctv .
    Best advice I can give you is to log it with the local nick every time that you go.
    I know it's not a legal requirement, but it saves everybody a lot of time later on .
    Get a log number and write it down . As I say not a requirement but better than a visit from Armed response . Trust me I've been there .

I shot right in the centre of paisley in the old fire station as it was being made watertight. I called the cops before and after. No problems whatsoever. Make sure of your backstop every shot and you'll be fine.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    If in doing so you endanger anybody on the highway . Otherwise carry on . Some of my permissions have footpaths on them . Common sense prevails obviously but that doesn't mean I can't shoot over them .
    We used to shoot on industrial estates , totally secure with gates , barriers security guard and cctv .
    Best advice I can give you is to log it with the local nick every time that you go.
    I know it's not a legal requirement, but it saves everybody a lot of time later on .
    Get a log number and write it down . As I say not a requirement but better than a visit from Armed response . Trust me I've been there .
    I always ring 101 and log with police I am shooting they don’t give me a log number but take name location and vehicle reg Just incase anyone calls them about a man with a gun. It is a pain as sometimes it takes ages to get through, but logging in and out saves the a lot of ball ache as I found out 18 months ago.

If Scottish rules are the same as England you can also use illumination for shooting ferrals after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    If Scottish rules are the same as England you can also use illumination for shooting ferrals after dark.
    That's handy to know if I ever go after McPigeon, but I live in Wales...
    but thanks for replying.
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    That's handy to know if I ever go after McPigeon, but I live in Wales...
    but thanks for replying.

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post

this---^

Ring 101 and ask for a "CAD" number, you can then quote this to them and they will ring in the first instance rather than sending cars around.

Have written, explicit permission from the occupier of the premises, this means the man who owns the land or who signed the lease for the land. If it comes from one of his managers then make sure the occupier authorises that person, in writing, to sign the permission letter on his behalf.

In some ways it's a bit trickier with an air rifle than with a powder burning rifle as any pellet leaving the boundary constitutes a criminal offence rather than civil trespass.

You need to pay attention to back stop from two perspectives, the first is no pellet should leave the boundary even if you miss and also not leaving evidence of shooting where general public can see it.

This includes making sure the pigeon is retrievable before shooting it should it flutter a bit.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Bet you wished you not asked. Use your common sense and you will be fine, do a good job and it may turn into a decent little shoot. I've had pest control jobs in loads of factories, land fill sites, even town centres, probably best shooting I've had. Let us know how it goes. Try using .22 or .25

Most effective pigeon shooting will be after dark when the pigeons are roosting in the buildings.
    Be very careful about over penetration so use power, pellet type with consideration.

As said above. Get written permission and have it on you and advise plod.

There are regulations that oblige the landowner to have taken all reasonable measures to have tried non lethal prevention. Discuss that with them.
    B.A.S.C. member

Thanks for the replies guy's. All the other considerations will be the same / similar to my current shoots, written permission, backstop, boundaries etc...
    This is the bit I was concerned with - regulations that oblige the landowner to have taken all reasonable measures to have tried non lethal prevention..
    Thanks to robs5230 for that.
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    Thanks for the replies guy's. All the other considerations will be the same / similar to my current shoots, written permission, backstop, boundaries etc...
    This is the bit I was concerned with - regulations that oblige the landowner to have taken all reasonable measures to have tried non lethal prevention..
    Thanks to robs5230 for that.

The reason I left that out is that the burden of proof lies upon the landowner and it's best not to get involved.

the view I take is that by the time I have been asked to come and shoot something in an urban environment, the landowner has exhausted his other options.

Your chap has presumably tried netting, spikes, etc?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    The reason I left that out is that the burden of proof lies upon the landowner and it's best not to get involved.

the view I take is that by the time I have been asked to come and shoot something in an urban environment, the landowner has exhausted his other options.

Your chap has presumably tried netting, spikes, etc?
    And I take the same view with my shooting. Responsibility for that with the landowner.
    I thought it was worth mentioning though as the buiders yard could be in a built up area and shooting night or day may be seen.
    My feral shooting is all on farms in rural areas and seen by no one.
    Easy enough to put the landowner wise then if he does get asked, he has the answer

Thinking back, in the early 90's, I had permission in a builders yard located next to a football ground in the middle of a large city (Sheffield) . Never had any hassle. Public perception has changed though.
    B.A.S.C. member