Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHY, JUST WHY :mad: !!!!

WHY, JUST WHY :mad: !!!!

WHY DO SHOPS DO IT, JUST WHY

I went into my local big gun shop yesterday to look for a gun for my daughter. While there I saw a TX200 with a better stock than my new TX200. I thought about it and decided to go back today with my TX200 and compare. If the new gun did have a better stock, I'd buy it just for the stock and sell the new gun straight on at a discount with my existing new TX200 mint stock on it.

I'd get a nicer stock and somebody would get a new gun at a discount, win win.

But NO !!!

The new gun did indeed have a nicer stock (in my eye), BUT there was a deep dent in the butt about 10mm long and well deep enough to get most of you thumb nail in So it was a total NO SALE from me The shop said the dent was caused by their padlocks and it could be filled and sanded out.

I understand some people (hunters maybe?) would not be bothered by a dent, and maybe offers a discount opportunity? But surely mishandling their stock like this devalues the stock and reduces to chance of a sale? They'd have sold a gun today if it wasn't for the nasty dent!

I'm gutted, as I'm a cabinet maker and wood grain means a lot to me, so not to have this opportunity of getting nicer stock because they can't store their goods properly is disappointing at best

Rant over (for now)
    Rob.

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    If it's an oiled stock you can steam the dent out.

Try holding it to one of your ears.

"An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

LOL

Sadly it was a standard stained and varnished beach stock, so damaged forever

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post

Try holding it to one of your ears.

I spilt my tea
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Totally understand how you feel, being a lover of wood and all its intricacies myself.

Not so long ago I did a 200 mile round trip to look at a new Sako Finnfire which turned out to be suffering padlock rash and some signs of rust!

Went elsewhere in the end, 25 miles away, and got a totally pristine Lithgow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    LOL

Sadly it was a standard stained and varnished beach stock, so damaged forever

Ah, sorry to hear that.

How much would have been down if you had been able to carry out your plan?

I wonder if it might not be worth taking a trip to the air arms factory and picking a stock yourself.

They let you do it when you're buying a high grade rifle or shotgun, maybe the guys down there will understand?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Ah, sorry to hear that.

How much would have been down if you had been able to carry out your plan?

I wonder if it might not be worth taking a trip to the air arms factory and picking a stock yourself.

They let you do it when you're buying a high grade rifle or shotgun, maybe the guys down there will understand?
    That is a brilliant idea, I would be totally happy to travel to AA if I could chose a nice stock. It would be an 8 hour all day travelling job, but worth it.

I would have knocked of £50 off making it the cheapest new TX200 in the UK!

I'll email AA and beg

The new gun did indeed have a nicer stock (in my eye), BUT there was a deep dent in the butt about 10mm long and well deep enough to get most of you thumb nail in So it was a total NO SALE from me The shop said the dent was caused by their padlocks and it could be filled and sanded out.

I understand some people (hunters maybe?) would not be bothered by a dent, and maybe offers a discount opportunity? But surely mishandling their stock like this devalues the stock and reduces to chance of a sale? They'd have sold a gun today if it wasn't for the nasty dent!

I'm gutted, as I'm a cabinet maker and wood grain means a lot to me, so not to have this opportunity of getting nicer stock because they can't store their goods properly is disappointing at best

Rant over (for now)
    Rob.
    That's most of the argument in half a sentence.
    A knock to the woodwork doesn't effect how it shoots, & I'd take an accurate shooter over "pretty" any day.

That's not to say that if the shop can't treat their sales stock with care I don't know that I'd choose to shop there in the first place.

This shop don't let you shoot them, so there is no way you can determine if it's a 'good shooter'.
    So looks are everything in this shop.
    I already own an awesome TX200, so I got 'good shooter' already covered, just wanted the stock.
    They lost the sale over the way they treated their stock.

As you're a Cabinet Maker by Trade, why not make a stock for the TX yourself?
    You could select whatever type of wood or laminate you preferred, and design something totally individual.

Quote Originally Posted by the bish View Post
    As you're a Cabinet Maker by Trade, why not make a stock for the TX yourself?
    You could select whatever type of wood or laminate you preferred, and design something totally individual.
    I don't have time as I am self-employed and running my full time business. What time I get, I'd rather be doing something other than work. My business now is model making and days of woodwork is a little too close to my old day job. Time is money and sometimes time is more valuable than money, so I'd rather just buy a stock and shoot. The standard stocks on some of the guns are perfectly fine, it's just a case of finding something standard and nice.

This thread is very interesting as there doesn't seem to be many people bothered about buying a brand new gun with dents and marks on the wood work. It's no wonder the shop/s don't seem to bother about caring for the guns they display, some people just don't care and will buy them anyway.

Each to their own I guess

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I guess you wrap your rifle in bubble wrap when out shooting to stop it getting a ding in the stock ?

If you took it out and got a ding in the stock would you cry like a big girl or put it down to its getting used and its wear and tear ?

I use my rifles for hunting and dings are going to happen . If I ding it or a smallish ding when I buy it's no biggie for me as it will pick up more in time .

Its a tool for me and tools get used .
    Well I didn't expect to be hammered so hard over this, being called names and saying I'm crying etc
    I did say above maybe a hunter wouldn't bother so much.

I'm sorry for not liking dented stocks from new out the shop.
    I will change my attitude and conform to the masses.
    I will from now on not worry about dents in new guns, infact I'll actively hunt them out and buy the most dented I can find.
    If I'm really lucky I'll find one that even cost well over the RRP and dented to hell and back

I'll leave it there as it seems people actually like buying new guns with scratches and dents, sorry for wasting posters time.

Well I didn't expect to be hammered so hard over this, being called names and saying I'm crying etc

I will from now on not worry about dents in new guns, infact I'll actively hunt them out and buy the most dented I can find.
    If I'm really lucky I'll find one that even cost well over the RRP and dented to hell and back

I'll leave it there as it seems people actually like buying new guns with scratches and dents, sorry for wasting posters time.
    I deleted my post as it seemed harsh

Ignore the negative ninnies, they tend not to shoot very much and just come on here to whine at people.

I enjoyed your post very much, i totally sympathise and the rant made me laugh.

Hope AA come through for you.