Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHY, JUST WHY :mad: !!!!

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Look at custom stocks. They turn out a good stock. The CS500 is similar to the original AA stock. Just a little bit better
    Pete

I totally agree that some gunshops just don't get "mint" new rifle should be "mint" new rifle, not bashed.

Chain rash and all the other on the rack dinks and scratches are just not on. Far too much its just too much retail stock lack of respect attitude. They just don't get it that mint lovely is important to a large part of the market.
    If I put a dink in my rifle then that is my fault. I look after my kit and its just not a "consumable" for the skip one day!
    I've also bought and sold for a better stock wood grain before. Its a hobby and some parts of my hobby are not about money but getting things just the way I want them.

Vintage market its patina and the history of the rifle, thats a completely different list of priorities and desirabilities.

I have the odd mint Air Rifle, and their enjoyment to me is that they are mint. Plenty of second hand shooters to have for shooting with if I want.

Anyhow I understand your thread position and agree. Some fantastic wood is wasted on people who just don't appreciate it at all. I'm not saying you can't use a lovely rifle, but do appreciate it. Patina picked up through its history can be a good thing. Or just buy plastic...

I hunt with my guns and I would want them unmarked if buying new.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I witnessed two gun shops today dry fire springers into the carpet

I told them NOT to do it before they did it and they 'told me' it was perfectly fine if pushed into the carpet and modern springs can not be de-cocked

As soon as they did that, I wished them good day and got the hell out of the shop!

If they can't treat their stock with care, and have no idea how to de-cock a springer, why are they in the spring gun market? So may good guns must get trashed before we buy them, really sad.

Sorry to hear of your woeful experiences today, Sunbeam.

Very disappointing.

I used to hunt with my rifles. And I accepted that they might get scratched or marked, but I'd always take the utmost care with them or hopefully prevent this. And many of my guns, some of which I've owned for well over 30 years are still in beautiful condition.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a new one to be in perfect condition.

As far as dry firing goes, it's not something I would do. There is a little bit of truth with the dry firing into carpet statement, maybe, but it's not something I would do or expect a gunshop to do. Jim Tyler's works in recent times have shown us that on many guns the odd dry fire may not have the disastrous consequences some may think, as the piston will still rebound on the cushion of high pressure air due to transfer port choking, but piston landing will be harsher. I also seem to remember seeing a recent post stating that Gamo say that their guns can be safely dry fired for umpteen shots?

Hope all works out well for you.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Begging email sent, fingers crossed
    Let us know. I had no idea AA had a retail counter.

I completely agree - if I'm buying new, then it's got to be 'new' - I wouldn't buy a new car with a dent, the same goes for a new gun - yes, I've bought & sold second hand guns (and cars) with dings, but the price has always reflected that.

AA replied to me today.

They said Beach stocks are all bland and do not have any character or grain to talk of, so they can't help me. They said walnut is the wood to buy if you want good grain.

I'm very surprised by their lack of knowledge of the wood they sell. As a time served cabinet maker and somebody with eyes that work, I can clearly see beach stocks ARE different and I have seen much better stocks on new TX200's recently.

I offered to travel across the country (10 hours at least) to save them the bother of posting, and chose from some stocks they offer me in their carpark (so not even set foot in their building).

Nope, no go

I have been shooting AA for 7 years and they helped me with my S400 walnut stock years ago (got lucky I guess). On a video on Youtube by Blackpool guns 'Hot Air', they said AA are moving wholesalers so they can get closer to their customers.

I was hoping for a better more helpful response. Oh well, I'll just buy another TX200 when I see it and sell the guts on. AA get a bigger win that way as they sell another whole gun.