Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too many scopes!!

I have 2 Bushnell 4200 Elite in 8-32 and 1 in 6-24. Problem is, I have 8 TX200's.

Interesting the need for very high magnification. That I presume is for range finding? Do you find that the higher mag design is optically struggling a bit over the less mag model?
    Just asking because you have two versions from a model/manufacturer's range.

I am coming to the conclusion that above x14 or x16 then modern optics are struggling to get the x25 and above. Yes they have managed it and very well, but it starts to show how forced the lenses are to get there. Its a big ask to get a scope to do so much.
    For x25 mag scopes then 30mm tubes are a big help. But x30 or above thats not enough and the light coming in is jumping through plenty of hoops, lenses, to get to the eye piece. POI shifts from different settings are becoming a concern as these scopes get more sophisticated and not all are "keeping it there" throughout their variable range????

What does everyone think?

Mmm pretty things!

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    What in your book is a good looking bike? To be honest I think there are better looking bikes but the noise a VFR makes is key to me , and I'll probably end up doing both anyway!!!!
    Rc30, orig honda red/white/blue, wudn't ride it, wud have on wall, Ducati 916 & any variant of, 🤤, OW01 race bike, Fast Orange paint job, Cagiva V? GP bike as ridden by Randy Mamola circa 1989? Hopeless but sexy! Someone stop me!
    J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Interesting the need for very high magnification. That I presume is for range finding? Do you find that the higher mag design is optically struggling a bit over the less mag model?
    Just asking because you have two versions from a model/manufacturer's range.

I am coming to the conclusion that above x14 or x16 then modern optics are struggling to get the x25 and above. Yes they have managed it and very well, but it starts to show how forced the lenses are to get there. Its a big ask to get a scope to do so much.
    For x25 mag scopes then 30mm tubes are a big help. But x30 or above thats not enough and the light coming in is jumping through plenty of hoops, lenses, to get to the eye piece. POI shifts from different settings are becoming a concern as these scopes get more sophisticated and not all are "keeping it there" throughout their variable range????

What does everyone think?
    I use them for FT and the ranging capabilities. Both 32x and 24x are equally clear with this particular model. The 32x does do a tiny bit better at ranging. I bought the 24x in 2000 as my first high mag scope and I have always shot tighter groups with it compared to the 32x. I think it is just the added perception of shaking that causes it.

Thanks for that.
    Once I can see my heart beat, and natural tremors, then thats plenty enough magnification for me. We were once happy to use 4.5x scopes out to 800m and never worried about our natural wobble Now, with such huge magnification, its off to the GP to check our cholesterol levels and see if we are still well Yes, its just normal and just shows you are alive

I do think some high mag scopes are struggling to get all that performance.

Not needing range finding then x25 sees enough for me, gives enough information, and keeps enough FOV.
    Last edited by Muskett; 24-07-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
    Rc30, orig honda red/white/blue, wudn't ride it, wud have on wall, Ducati 916 & any variant of, 🤤, OW01 race bike, Fast Orange paint job, Cagiva V? GP bike as ridden by Randy Mamola circa 1989? Hopeless but sexy! Someone stop me!
    J.
    Ahhh... See, yep the rc30 is nice but cos it's a v4... The ducati is nice because it's a v2, but all need the faring ripped off!! Lol
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Ahhh... See, yep the rc30 is nice but cos it's a v4... The ducati is nice because it's a v2, but all need the faring ripped off!! Lol
    Nooooooo!!!!!!!!! I bought a VFR750F-L new, in France, in 1990 and kept it for some time. Madame loved it and we travelled miles on it. The only mod I made was to replace the exhaust with a slightly more interesting (lighter, not noisier) one. Then nipper came along and I went for a 750 Ducati (which Madame didn't like!) and although a bit on the small side for me had a lovely fairing - I wouldn't have ripped the fairing off either of them, you bloody heathen! Tried a new 750VFR recently and thought it rather bland...…………………….

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Nooooooo!!!!!!!!! I bought a VFR750F-L new, in France, in 1990 and kept it for some time. Madame loved it and we travelled miles on it. The only mod I made was to replace the exhaust with a slightly more interesting (lighter, not noisier) one. Then nipper came along and I went for a 750 Ducati (which Madame didn't like!) and although a bit on the small side for me had a lovely fairing - I wouldn't have ripped the fairing off either of them, you bloody heathen! Tried a new 750VFR recently and thought it rather bland...…………………….
    No faring, cut the back off & noisey exhaust
    Naked as a newborn!! Lol
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    No faring, cut the back off & noisey exhaust
    Naked as a newborn!! Lol
    To be fair I was just being a wind up (again) I don't like that black bike, think it looks awful. I'd be looking at doing it a lot more tastefully maybe like this:

Just get yourself a nice Ducati Monster.

Early ones were the nicest (up to 2002) as they used the 888 frame. Loads of character, fantastic sound. And if you get a nice one it'll appreciate in value. Best to avoid the 2002 to 2008/09 ones with the ST-based chassis, although the (still air cooled) 696, 796 and 1100 Desmodue ones are lovely and best handling.

Or an SS. Later fuel injected ones, although not as pretty as the carby ones, exhibit much sharper steering, handle lovely and are really good value.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!