Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many scopes!!

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    The bikes are ugly, just go for some more guns. At least you can't fall off them.

Buy a rifle with a Weaver rail. I have a HW110 and switch between a Falcon menace and 2 Simmons Whitetail classics.

Regards

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by peterd8877 View Post
    The bikes are ugly, just go for some more guns. At least you can't fall off them.
    What in your book is a good looking bike? To be honest I think there are better looking bikes but the noise a VFR makes is key to me , and I'll probably end up doing both anyway!!!!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I have my scope addiction under control Well less bad than it was.

Only five too many, but all keepers for rifles that someday I might get round to buying. Thats down from 15! All vintage and mostly mint for vintage rifles. Two I have two of and on shooting rifles. Really annoying there is one, that I have already, and would have another on the bay right this minute... and boys toys funds are low. Its vintage, all for air rifles.

There are only two scopes I want for my next two full bore rifles and both big ticket priced, but then so are the rifles they are to go on. Those are just future dream aspirations that will happen if I keep working hard!!!

Had an upgrade the other week that didn't cost too much. New Bushnell bought and old MTC sold. So good the Bushnell deal that I could let the MTC go for a sensible low price. The Bushnell was a better quality day scope and worked fine for the NV. In truth this is mid range scope on a high ticket custom rifle just for the NV. It once had a fantastic Zeiss day scope, but as that didn't work with the NV, the Zeiss had to go

I've had a good 75 scopes over the years (air rifle collection was getting out of control). From all those there were just a few gems.
    Zeiss and Swaro do the best glass, the latter has the edge; but thankfully few rifles really need that kind of glass and in truth both these brands' ranges are very "sporting shooting" specific.
    There are poor scopes that are more trouble than they are worth. There are good scopes that are OK. And then there are real gems. But if a scope doesn't suit a rifle or the shooting discipline even if a gem then there is really little point in keeping or buying it. So buy the rifle and then buy the scope to match the rifle, all whilst getting the correct mounts that suit both. You know you have got it right when the scope stays on that rifle for years and years.

Scopes

Yes very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    Yes very interesting
    What scopes have you got 10/10 I'd bet you own some nice glass? Do you have one or two too many and don't want to sell them because they are too nice? C'mon im prepared to drop the beef if you are..
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Theoben

I like to keep my wares private, but i am very much looking forwad to meeting you

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    I like to keep my wares private, but i am very much looking forwad to meeting you
    You going to the bash then or are you watching me from my back garden

I've a few spare scopes, There's a few more than this now that i've not got a pic of!!

It seems I need to acquire more guns

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I have my scope addiction under control Well less bad than it was.

Only five too many, but all keepers for rifles that someday I might get round to buying. Thats down from 15! All vintage and mostly mint for vintage rifles. Two I have two of and on shooting rifles. Really annoying there is one, that I have already, and would have another on the bay right this minute... and boys toys funds are low. Its vintage, all for air rifles.

There are only two scopes I want for my next two full bore rifles and both big ticket priced, but then so are the rifles they are to go on. Those are just future dream aspirations that will happen if I keep working hard!!!

Had an upgrade the other week that didn't cost too much. New Bushnell bought and old MTC sold. So good the Bushnell deal that I could let the MTC go for a sensible low price. (1) The Bushnell was a better quality day scope and worked fine for the NV. In truth this is mid range scope on a high ticket custom rifle just for the NV. (2)It once had a fantastic Zeiss day scope, but as that didn't work with the NV, the Zeiss had to go

I've had a good 75 scopes over the years (air rifle collection was getting out of control). From all those there were just a few gems.
    Zeiss and Swaro do the best glass, the latter has the edge; but thankfully few rifles really need that kind of glass and in truth both these brands' ranges are very "sporting shooting" specific.
    There are poor scopes that are more trouble than they are worth. There are good scopes that are OK. And then there are real gems. But if a scope doesn't suit a rifle or the shooting discipline even if a gem then there is really little point in keeping or buying it. So buy the rifle and then buy the scope to match the rifle, all whilst getting the correct mounts that suit both. (3) You know you have got it right when the scope stays on that rifle for years and years.
    1. What Bushnell? May be interested in a quality scope that works with NV...

2. This is what happened with my vortex viper.. I'd actually like to put this back on my huntsman and maybe ditch the NV idea, or just buy a specific NV gun.

3. Yep know that one, I reckon the Meopta 6x42 on my theoben has probably corroded itself on to that gun!!
    Thanks for your input!

Scopes

Nice scopes i like the Hakko

Quote Originally Posted by Martin(rockape) View Post
    Buy a rifle with a Weaver rail. I have a HW110 and switch between a Falcon menace and 2 Simmons Whitetail classics.

Regards

Martin
    A man after my own heart I love the Whitetale classics a good scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin(rockape) View Post

Regards

Martin
    Mmmmmmm.... Not a bad idea.... I think the wildcat has a weaver rail. vfr, vfr, vfr...

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    A man after my own heart I love the Whitetale classics a good scope.
    Out of the 2 that I have I love the 1.5 - 5 x20mm
    Although a can hardly see my target at 30 yds with it I still hit it with a good group.

The other I can't quite remember the spec but something like 3.5-10. X 50mm which was part of a combination buy on a Webley Axsor when one could buy air rifles through the post.
    Regards

Martin

Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14 x 44 which I have in milldot but would like as much if not prefer in a plex. Leupold rings. Its on a featherweight .223 and adds little weight. I have my drop for out to 300m which is a far as I'm likely to shoot this combination. It takes the WDV800 and with top ir can do the 250m required at x14; I just don't need further at night. FOV is on the narrow side. Its a stalking combo featherweight.
    This scope would work well on a .17HMR for practical ranges' 120m. Though my .17HMR I have set up for day use with a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 and locking low profile target turrets so I can take this round to its maximum effective range 200m; has to be a still day though. SFP old fashioned click adjust once beyond point blank practical range.
    I use .22LR subsonics for rabbits at night and have a Sidewinder for that on my Sig 522 Rabbit Harvester. Its really a vehicle lamping/NV combo. (Must put together a lighter combo for rabbit stalking, but rabbits weigh a ton in numbers. Where I am big bags are the norm.)

On the Zeiss Conquest HD5's I found the smaller 5 3-15x42 better optically balanced than the larger 5-25x50. These are 1" tubed scopes and medium compact in scale. Generally in 1" tubed scopes trying for the higher magnification without going long seems to be optically more challenged. If you want high mag 25 plus in a medium length package then go at least with a 30mm tube. I have one x25 mag scope with 1" tube that does it to perfection but its nearly two foot long!

The trend for high mag and FFP is the new approach for long range shooting. That with graph type reticules to read wind and drop compensations. However, for point black shooting then a SFP plex with either target turrets or a couple of drop points can be fast, can deliver, and there is no issue when using the lower magnification for the wider FOV.

Again its all about what you are trying to achieve and what is demanded from the scope. For UK deer then its all about the glass, dusk/dawn. For Fox then NV is possible. For everything else then what works and suits.

I've had plenty of WTC over the years. They are showing their age. Glass has moved on and few older scopes can't compete with the newer stuff coming forward. Design and optical know how is required to make a good scope. There are quite a few designs struggling with what is being demanded of them. Especially true of high mag being demanded, and the need for short range parallax.
    A lot of competition and each year someone does a better mousetrap, but a whole lot is good but not great. Failure rates seems to be expected and built into the business plan. But then the market and the market's pockets keep growing.

The real questions are: "How far am I carrying the combo?" "How tiny is the target?" "Day, dusk, or NV?" "FFP or SFP?" Lastly: "Ranges required to reach, point blank or extended dropping like a rock?"
    Last edited by Muskett; 22-07-2018 at 11:59 PM.