Thread: Superglue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Used it to repair guitar top nuts when they have worn too low lasts ok had none wear out and makes a good job.

Jelly sets, Adhesives cure

If you think normal superglue is strong, try the the black variant which has ground rubber as an additive.
    Seriously tough stuff!

Bb

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    Jelly sets, Adhesives cure
    Pedant.

I will look out for the black stuff, that could be very useful around guns.

Was it proper superglue rather than poundshop knock off stuff? I am assuming so as the knock of stuff seems to crystallize rather than cure?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

It was Loctite superglue, bought new. I know what you mean about pound shop adhesives, I've tried their cyanoacrylate and epoxy adhesives, and they've all been rubbish.

You get what you pay for I guess.

The pound shop superglue is good for cheap work where cosmetics/ultimate strength are not a priority. It also sets slow so less chance of sticking myself to something

The pound shop epoxy in the conjoined syringes is ok for using on rod whipping for cheap rods. I use the proper stuff for my nicer kit.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I did try superglue some years ago to build up a leaky Airsporter tap. I did not use any of the premier products mentioned here which is most likely why it was not a great success and the effects were quite shortlived. I tried cleaning the tap and applying a thin film of superglue all over the tap body. Once properly set I tried to 'lap' the coated tap into the cylinder. The superglue coat certainly added girth to the tap and, as above, there was an improvement but not long lasting. I guess the constant rotation of the tap in the cylinder slowly wore the glue coating away. Still .. nice idea.
    I even tried JB Weld with similar results.
    I also came to the conclusion that the tap and/or cylinder had not worn evenly.
    A replacement, supposedly oversized tap, did not work.
    Cheers, Phil