Thread: Crosman 2250 XL - advice

Crosman 2250 XL - advice

Just bought a Crosman 2250 new. I'm not sure how others get on with theirs, but the last 5mm (ish) of pushing the bolt probe feels not so smooth. AA fields were better than RWS hobby pellets. I've put 100 odd pellets through today expecting it to get better, but it still remains.

Any advice please?

It can depend on the profile of the pellet.
    If you just slip them onto the tray and drive them home with the bolt probe, you're likely tipping the pellet as it enters the barrel.

AA field are a good profile.
    Just thumb them gently into the rifling and then close the bolt.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by absolute0 View Post
    Just bought a Crosman 2250 new. I'm not sure how others get on with theirs, but the last 5mm (ish) of pushing the bolt probe feels not so smooth. AA fields were better than RWS hobby pellets. I've put 100 odd pellets through today expecting it to get better, but it still remains.

Any advice please?
    My CP1 is was same, as stated about seat the pellet with your fingers as much as possible, alternatively I had my CP1 tunes which improved things a lot.

Thanks chaps.
    I've tried slow and level, without tilting the pellet, and still get the issue. I'll try thumbing in first, and let you know how I get on.
    I plan to do some mods anyway so may go for a hollow extended probe, maybe that will help as well.

Not sure if the current 2250’s still have a plastic or metal breech but on mine there’s the tiny little 0.05” flat head screw which secures the breech to the block and it’s just in front of the entry to the barrel. What can happen is the head of the pellet dips into the recess the screw sits in and doesn’t enter the breech squarely and in some cases can score the pellet head causing flyers.

I’ve got a heavily modded king ratcatcher ( running on air ) and what I’ve done is get a lit birthday cake candle and drip a single drop of wax into the hollow where the screw sits. Let the wax go hard then slowly and carefully push the bolt forward without a pellet to ‘shave’ the wax level with the slot the pellet sits in. ( you can dry fire it to clear any wax shavings out )

You may have to do it several times as sometimes the wax comes right out. A tiny little drop of the crosman pelgun oil can help when doing this too.

Sorry, this description sounds more complicated than it actually is

Another mod worth doing is extended the bolt probe so the pellet gets pushed in slightly further, this allows the pellet to go fully past the transfer port, plus giving the Co2 an easier path to the back of the pellet, again improving consistency.

Norm

Sorry missed you mentioning the probe extension - doh.

I did mine by taking the bolt out, cutting off the existing probe then drill a small hole in the end and fitting a piece cut off a tiny brass nail - sounds crude but it looks ok and works.

I’m also running a cut down ( 20” ) rabbit stopper barrel, magnetic trigger ‘spring’ and regulated air from a modified 200cc bsa bottle fitted to a paintball air regulator.
    200bar fill on the bottle with the regulator running at 830psi out gives me around 90 full power shots. ( 11.3ftlbs ) and a FPS variance of around 7-10

Norm

Thanks Norm for the idea of using the candle wax.
    I think I must have a newer model as the hex screw that holds the breech on is nearer to the rear, where it doesn't get in the way of the pellet or loading.

I'm in the process of building my own chronograph, so will get some readings before I put in the extended probe.

Quote Originally Posted by absolute0 View Post
    Thanks Norm for the idea of using the candle wax.
    I think I must have a newer model as the hex screw that holds the breech on is nearer to the rear, where it doesn't get in the way of the pellet or loading.

I'm in the process of building my own chronograph, so will get some readings before I put in the extended probe.
    That’s interesting, is the screw still in the groove that the pellet / probe run in, but further back ? If so that will be a definite improvement over the earlier models !
    I wonder how thier securing the front of the breech to the main valve body ?

On the older models the pellet probe has a relatively short conical end with a short ‘pin’ in the end. When I first got a crosman 2250, I checked out several of the tuning sites and everyone was saying by putting in a longer thinner pin in the end of the probe you push the pellet slightly further past the transfer port and the thinner pin allows a better passage of the the Co2 past it and into the skirt of the pellet.

Not sure if they’re still on the BBS but there used to be several real crosman ratcatcher tuners, some had some cracking looking guns with very good mods.

Have fun, most people who get hooked on tuning these guns end up spending far more than they’re worth, ( me included ) but that’s part of the fun of turning an average cheapish Co2 gun into something more accurate and unique !

Norm