Thread: Losing air

Losing air

I've recently bought a bsa r10 se second hand, I filled it to 230 ib. fired 26 pellets through it and the pressures dropped to 175 in. it's stood overnight and the pressures stayed the same, is this normal to use that much air over 26 shots? any advice appreciated.

Well for each shot you take he volume of air remaining in the buddy bottle will be less so the pressure will fall.
    How many shots cause what pressure drop depends on what power it is shooting, can you chrono it.

Filling right up to max is not a good idea, always stop 10bar or so before, the extra pressure can make the first few shots very ineffective.

Also filling causes heat in the bottle, & warm air expands, so once it had cooled & contracted for half an hour it would have dropped down from 230 anyway.
    Last edited by angrybear; 23-07-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Longbenton North Tyneside. +Dinnington FTC.

Air loss ?

You filled to 230bar then if you give it a chance to cool down it could settle at 210. 210bar -26 shots=184bar dont think there is much to worry about.

If it's a second hand gun you really must check the muzzle energy is around 11 ftlb

I'll do that asp thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well for each shot you take he volume of air remaining in the buddy bottle will be less so the pressure will fall.
    How many shots cause what pressure drop depends on what power it is shooting, can you chrono it.

Filling right up to max is not a good idea, always stop 10bar or so before, the extra pressure can make the first few shots very ineffective.

Also filling causes heat in the bottle, & warm air expands, so once it had cooled & contracted for half an hour it would have dropped down from 230 anyway.
    Thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by artrob View Post
    I've recently bought a bsa r10 se second hand, I filled it to 230 ib. fired 26 pellets through it and the pressures dropped to 175 in. it's stood overnight and the pressures stayed the same, is this normal to use that much air over 26 shots? any advice appreciated.
    The R10 regulator doesn't like working above 210 bar. Just fill to 210 very slowly. I don't think there is much wrong with your gun. Checking the muzzle enrgy is a good idea but it really doesn't have to be 11 ft.lbs. With a 16 grs Diabolo pellet ( JSB, AiArms ) you'd be fine up to 11.3 ft.lbs.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    The R10 regulator doesn't like working above 210 bar. Just fill to 210 very slowly. I don't think there is much wrong with your gun. Checking the muzzle enrgy is a good idea but it really doesn't have to be 11 ft.lbs. With a 16 grs Diabolo pellet ( JSB, AiArms ) you'd be fine up to 11.3 ft.lbs.

A.G
    thanks for that, still learning.