Thread: Target distance rules

Target distance rules

So I am going to practice some target disciplines, basically just for fun with a few friends.

My question is, taking 10 metre pistol Target shooting as an example, I presume you measure 10 metres from the target to a shooting line.

So is that line something that you stand at with the pistol going over the line but you must not cross with your feet.

or does the pistol have to be behind the line and it must not go over that line in any cirumstance

Hope that is clear.

Hi Phil,

The distance is measured from the target face to the rear of the line (or barrier) that your toes must be behind.

The rifle or pistol that you are shooting may well extend past this point, but as long as your toes are behind the shooting line that is OK (and is usually the case).

If you are shooting behind a bench or table etc, no part of your body or clothing must be able to touch it as it could be construed as giving you some extra (illegal) support.

Simple really, and easy to set up at 10 meters (or 6 yards - the original British target distance for air weapon target shooting).
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Phil,

The distance is measured from the target face to the rear of the line (or barrier) that your toes must be behind.

The rifle or pistol that you are shooting may well extend past this point, but as long as your toes are behind the shooting line that is OK (and is usually the case).

If you are shooting behind a bench or table etc, no part of your body or clothing must be able to touch it as it could be construed as giving you some extra (illegal) support.

Simple really, and easy to set up at 10 meters (or 6 yards - the original British target distance for air weapon target shooting).
    Brilliant, many thanks for clearing that up

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Additionally, the height to the centre of a 10 m target is 1.4m according to ISSF rule book.

http://www.sintpietersroos.com/catal...frules2017.pdf

pages 228 & 229 refer to distance tolerance and target heights.

ATB
    Mike
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Thanks Mike

Orangatan

Obviously helps if u have long arms, ideally bout 9.8m,
    J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
    J.
    I'm working on that

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Additionally, the height to the centre of a 10 m target is 1.4m according to ISSF rule book.

http://www.sintpietersroos.com/catal...frules2017.pdf

pages 228 & 229 refer to distance tolerance and target heights.

ATB
    Mike
    Sorry to hijack the thread but what is the height of the target for 10 mtr rifle ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread but what is the height of the target for 10 mtr rifle ?
    No problem - it's not a hijack at all

The height for 10m air rifle target isn't mentioned specifically; however we shoot as do most other clubs as far as I am aware, on the same target changers so I assume that the centre of the central target of the 5 is at 1.40m.

http://www.sintpietersroos.com/catal...frules2017.pdf pages 229 - 230 refer

Hope this helps.
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
    J.
    Or a 9m barrel.......

Sorry John couldn't resist.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

10 mt firing point

The 10 mt point is covered in ISSF rules available on the ISSF website, section 6.4, and covers all items including light levels. just as a quick guide, drawn from the various sub sections :-

The distance is 10 mts + or - 0.05 mt From the firing line to the target face.

Height to target centre 1.40 mt + or - 0.05 mt

Target centres must be on the centre line of the firing point, variation in either direction 0.25 mt

The firing point must be a minimum of 1.0 mt wide.

The nearest edge of the bench must be placed 10 cm forward of the firing line.

Recommended light over the general range measured midway a minimum of 500 Lux

Target lighting, Minimum 1500 Lux, recommended >1800 Lux

That near enough covers it!
    Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    The 10 mt point is covered in ISSF rules available on the ISSF website, section 6.4, and covers all items including light levels. just as a quick guide, drawn from the various sub sections :-

The distance is 10 mts + or - 0.05 mt From the firing line to the target face.

Height to target centre 1.40 mt + or - 0.05 mt

Target centres must be on the centre line of the firing point, variation in either direction 0.25 mt

The firing point must be a minimum of 1.0 mt wide.

The nearest edge of the bench must be placed 10 cm forward of the firing line.

Recommended light over the general range measured midway a minimum of 500 Lux

Target lighting, Minimum 1500 Lux, recommended >1800 Lux

That near enough covers it!
    Have Fun
    Robin
    Thanks for your input