Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lincoln Jeffries pistol project Part 3. - Finished at last!

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I did think about including the "reverse" Webley design in my to-do list, but I always felt that this was more of an afterthought by Webley to protect all the options, rather than a serious proposition. The massive air transfer port that this design needed would have led to a large loss in swept volume and low power. Maybe I will give it a go some time, but it is unlikely to be high on my priority list (unless a genuine prototype turns up !)

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

I suppose Webley included the possibility of cocking their pistol from the opposite end in their patent to preclude somebody from doing just that, impractical as that may seem to have been. It's my understanding that the possibility of infringement of the Wenley Patent 219872 was a contributory factor to ending production of the Certus. As you rightly say, given the compactness and efficiency of the Webley design, it's surprising that respected gun makers such as Cogswell & Harrison and A.G.Parker believed that the Certus or Parker pistols would have a chance against the Webley. In my experience, the only pistol that came close to the Webley was the ABAS Major with its concentric barrel, tap loading and ratchet safety cocking lever offering superior features to the Webley, Unfortunately, these advantages would have come at an increased price which would meant the pistol would have been at a commercial disadvantage in a financially sensitive environment.

Regards
    Brian
    That was always my thoughts how Cogswell & Harrison and A.G.Parker ever thought that their pistols would be able to compete with the Webleys as they just didn't have the looks, and l bet they would cost more for them to make. but l do like my Certus for its uglyness. and l do agree with you on the ABAS. which for me is a much nicer pistol than the Webleys.