Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle options - .20 caliber UK

Rifle options - .20 caliber UK

Hi Guys,
    Any idea what options we in UK have in .20 caliber? I know Weihauch offer .20 but are there others?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    quite a few... narrow it down a bit.. new / SH, springer / PCP, hi / mid / low end ?

Virtually all the theobens for example were offered .20 (gasram and Rapid range)

And a .20 barrel blank can be purchased and machinesd to fit a lot of others.. I made up a TX200 HC in .20 a while ago in fact (TX is a very easy gun to rebarrel)

HW springers are a sensible choice in .20, as easy to cal change if you don't like it.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Sadly there are less manufacturers that offer .20 than offer .25

Daystate,
    Gunpower did but I'm not sure if the new set up still does,
    Webley,
    Weihrauch,
    Theoben/Impact/RAW.

You can pretty much guarantee that you will have to special order with the associated time delay.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    And there are only 2 decent pellets in .20 so if your rifle doesn't like them your f00ked.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    And there are only 2 decent pellets in .20 so if your rifle doesn't like them your f00ked.
    well, only 2 that offer a trajectory advantage...

The introduction of the excellent 13.4 grain falcons in .22 means you realy need to be looking around 11-12 grain for .20 to make sense at 12 FP...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    well, only 2 that offer a trajectory advantage...

The introduction of the excellent 13.4 grain falcons in .22 means you realy need to be looking around 11-12 grain for .20 to make sense at 12 FP...
    I always fancied trying .20 in FAC.

But of course 10.3 .177 in pcp beats everything at 12ftlbs.
    Master Debater

I always fancied trying .20 in FAC.

But of course 10.3 .177 in pcp beats everything at 12ftlbs.
    Mmmmmmm.... Not sure on that one, I find the 11.4 .20 a really good mix of curve and kill. That's after I changed the barrel on my huntsman from .177 & using the 10.3 GRN jsb heavies. It does shorten the range slightly but it is definitely more versatile.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

No, I'd say 5, but that's because the people that make cheap shyte .177/.22 don't bother with .20.

I don't see the point of .20 at FAC, it makes sense as a hunting cal at sub 12, but if there's no energy restriction just whack up the power & use .25 with FAC

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I don't see the point of .20 at FAC, it makes sense as a hunting cal at sub 12, but if there's no energy restriction just whack up the power & use .25 with FAC
    Not to digress excessively, but I somewhat dissagree... it's all about trajectory, and therefore velocity. Say optimal subsonic is around 900-950. Another impactant factor with FAC air is noise and air comsumption, which go hand in hand. Munging that lot together, I find around 24 FP in .20 or 30 FP in .22 perfect. say 900 FPS with JSB 18 grainers.

.25 needs over 45 FP to get a decent trajectory, so just gets too noisy/air hungry.

Finally, if the pellet gets too dense / heavy, it doesn't deform as well - which is why I don't particulaly like Bismags in .22 - much prefer JSBs.

All in my personal experience. I actually end up doing most of my FAC shooting at 26 Fp with 16 grain JSBs, and got rid of my FAC .25 quite quickly

If you have an fac, 20 makes sense for a springers too, say an Eliminator or a crusader. perfect at low 20s. Or an HW80.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Mmmmmmm.... Not sure on that one, I find the 11.4 .20 a really good mix of curve and kill. That's after I changed the barrel on my huntsman from .177 & using the 10.3 GRN jsb heavies. It does shorten the range slightly but it is definitely more versatile.
    YEP

Exactly ......

I favour 20 cal spring or pcp, seconded by 177 heavy (pcp only), and 22 for 'close up' stuff only
    Sheridan and Theoben were right all along ...
    I think folk forget 20 cal was really the 'air gun' calibre, whereas the others are adaptations from firearms calibre's
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

The Falcon FN rifles were made in this cal .

But why limit yourself when you can have a .177& .22 and a LOT more pellets to choose from .

.20 Air rifle

My favourite is the Steyr Challenge Hunting Air Rifle in .20, expensive, but fantastic.

.20 Air Rifle

Steyr Hunting 5 Auto is available in .20 as well

.20 Air Rifle

Only other one I can think of that has not been previously mentioned is the Edgun Leshiy

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    The Falcon FN rifles were made in this cal .

But why limit yourself when you can have a .177& .22 and a LOT more pellets to choose from .
    Because hunting at sub 12 power it does everything better than either/both , apart from .177 having slightly flatter trajectory