Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Results : Muscle Power League 2018, Autumn/Winter Series

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    People don't seem to want the MPL to change or evolve, so I'd be inclined to leave it as it is.
    Plus I've just spent a 'kings ransom' for an SSP !
    Happy New Year Rob,

The MPL has a fine history of changing and evolving.

When I first came up with the MPL idea and wrote the rules for the competition it was a 10 meter inter-club air pistol competition that was devised to help newcomers get into target shooting without fearing the high costs that "being competitive" would incur (physiologically at least !).

For the first time we had beginners happy to take part in target pistol shooting with inexpensive kit knowing that they could not be "out-shot" by anyone with deeper pockets as the rules only allowed the use of spring powered target pistols that could ( and still can) be bought at a relatively moderate price.

This competition is responsible for bringing many newcomers into target shooting, many of whom have now "moved-on" to shoot more seriously in competitions at 10 meters - and some of us have been happy to also help perpetuate the original and classic British 6 yard shooting distance and still enjoy shooting at this shorter range (often as well at at the "international" 10 meters distance).

In more recent years the MPL postal competition was devised to help those who wanted to enjoy target shooting from home. This was evolved from the original MPL competition and shared most of the same original rules - but could be enjoyed by those who for various reasons were unable to shoot in a club that was local to them.

Air rifles were also added to the MPL competition some years ago and long the way we have also catered for those who wanted to try target shooting with their .22 air pistols and those who wanted to shoot at 6 yards with their PCP air pistols too!

Both classes were supported by the MPL and both classes ran for a full season - even though they both failed miserably to attract the numbers of supporters who said that it was something that was "needed" to be included in this competition.

More recently the MPL has been the first to include and promote the "new to the UK" Supported Shooting classes in air pistol and air rifle - when nobody else seemed to be making the effort to take on this new class that has already been so successful in Germany for a number of years.

In short - the MPL's history has been one of accommodating just about anything that can be sensibly and safely shot from home at a distance that most people can accommodate or make available in an average sized house (or garden/cellar/garage etc etc).

Newcomers may not be aware of the full MPL history - but most of it can be tracked through the BBS history by anyone who would like to take the time to do so and it will show the tremendous amount of flexibility that has been shown to at least try out new ideas that people have thought would be worth a try.

We have also learnt from our experience over the years that the competitions that we currently run are the ones that have achieved the most support to date - but in fine MPL style we still have "ears" and listen to what people would like to see the competition include and we are unlikely to ever close the door on any good idea that has the chance of helping shooters enjoy their target shooting from home.

We know that the 6 yard MPL competition works really well for owners of classic air guns and those who enjoy the extra skills required to shoot a spring powered airgun accurately at an official 6 yard target. Most only see their scores as something to relate to their own progress to from season to season, or to see if they can "master" their latest addition to their armoury as many basic airguns have vastly differing requirements to get the best out of them.

Any good ideas will be given a fair airing, but the best distance for shooting from home will always be 6 yards as it is probably the only distance that just about anyone can include and has been successfully shot from lots of imaginative places including canal barges, static caravans, down a hallway and into a kitchen, from one bedroom across the landing into another, as well as the more usual gardens, garages and cellars - something that 10 meters would be much harder to accommodate!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Bob,

Nicely summarised

In addition, I feel that it also allows shooters who do not have dedicated target rifles to enter, and not be at a great dis-advantage.

A lot of the 'modern', as well as 'vintage' recoiling 'sporter' springers can shoot small 'one-hole' groups and 'possibles' on the 6 yard targets.

There is a lot of satisfaction to using such rifles in the MPL.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

Plenty to discuss and think about - please let me have your thoughts......
    Hi,

Obviously I was coming from a point of view of total ignorance in regards to the MPL's history having only shot in it for the last few weeks. You did ask for peoples thoughts and I was responding based on the comments made to me by others about the MPL in the last few days. With the best will in the world, I can't go trawling through years worth of BBS threads before I make a comment. But I now have a very clear understanding that the MPL has a rich history and has tried many things over time.

I am sorry if I have offended anybody, that was not my intention. I'm just an enthusiastic beginner looking for more options.

Thanks,
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Bob,

Nicely summarised

In addition, I feel that it also allows shooters who do not have dedicated target rifles to enter, and not be at a great dis-advantage.

A lot of the 'modern', as well as 'vintage' recoiling 'sporter' springers can shoot small 'one-hole' groups and 'possibles' on the 6 yard targets.

There is a lot of satisfaction to using such rifles in the MPL.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks Russ,

I forgot to mention the vital advantage you mention that the MPL has to offer where specific target rifles (and pistols) are not needed (but are welcomed) to give a good personal challenge, and mastering these (or at least trying to master them) can be very rewarding.

Previously, I have entered in the same class twice to compare my scores at the end of the year between a rather more sophisticated recoilless match pistol (Model 65) and a simple kicker (an old under lever Centre) and was surprised to see that the basic kicker was more than capable of giving the recoilless pistols really good run for its money!

The MPL scores are (in some ways) really only for the shooters own personal benefit, but what they do is to produce a good reference log and encourage others to see what they can do with similar basic airguns too - so the competitive element is still very much alive - but in a nice way!

Happy New Year Russ - and thanks for your help with the MPL - your efforts are appreciated by us all
    Last edited by zooma; 27-12-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Hello to All,

Scores updated Friday, 20181228.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Thanks Russ,

I guess it is the time of year when we consider when we should close this Autumn/Winter competition by giving a last date for posting and receiving scores.

Can I suggest that the last date for posting any results for this July-December 2018 competition should be 1st February 2019 as it will give everyone time enough to complete any targets that they intend shooting and a months overlap with the new Spring/Summer 2019 competition that will run from January 2019 - December 2019.

Happy New Year!

Bob.

Hello to All,

Scores updated Sunday, 20181230.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

I think you are generous, scores should be received by mid day on the 31st of December, the 1st of Jan see's another series start

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    I think you are generous, scores should be received by mid day on the 31st of December, the 1st of Jan see's another series start
    Hi Rob - you are right - we are generous - not to mention tolerant and encouraging etc etc (although I suppose "good looking" would be too strong a claim to add to our attributes - even at this festive time of year?).

We have always tried to encourage anyone to enter the MPL at any stage of the competition and we have been happy to accept late scores too.

However - at the end of each season we do have to call "time" when it starts to overlap with the next new competition but we are still happy to give everyone the best possible chance of completing the competition as we appreciate that the Christmas and New year period can be a very busy time for some - so 31st January it is for anyone who still has some last minute targets to shoot so we get the scores on or before 1st February!

Meanwhile - anyone that has time to spare and is getting a little bored is welcome to enter the new 2019 Spring/Summer MPL postal competition and start paper punching straight away

Hello To All,

Scores updated for the final time, Saturday, 20190202

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ