Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Results : Muscle Power League 2018, Autumn/Winter Series

+2 for kickers is interesting, Bob. It would save the need for a separate recoilling class/es. I'm going to practice with a kicker or two before the next series to see if I can improve with them. I feel I'm shooting the Original 45 ok and if can stop pulling into the occasional, daft 4's and 5's, I will be scoring well.
    A 6fpe kicker is a better tool for the job but it's interesting to see how far you can go with a full power rifle. I find the report of 11fpe rifle and the loud twang against the target holder affects my concentration a wee bit on my small, enclosed range. I'm sure I can overcome it with practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    +2 for kickers is interesting, Bob. It would save the need for a separate recoilling class/es. I'm going to practice with a kicker or two before the next series to see if I can improve with them. I feel I'm shooting the Original 45 ok and if can stop pulling into the occasional, daft 4's and 5's, I will be scoring well.
    A 6fpe kicker is a better tool for the job but it's interesting to see how far you can go with a full power rifle. I find the report of 11fpe rifle and the loud twang against the target holder affects my concentration a wee bit on my small, enclosed range. I'm sure I can overcome it with practice.
    Thanks Drew,

Its good to shoot a variety of springers and SSP's - and the MPL competition is a great opportunity/excuse for playing with all your toys!

Lets see if we get any more comments in favour or against the +2 idea for kickers .

It attracted a few more shooters to have a go the last time we used the idea as those that did not have a recoilless rifle (or pistol) felt more able to compete against those that did on a more level playing field.

Some also enjoyed giving the recoilless shooters a serious "run for their money" - even if it was themselves they ended up trying to beat (enter with both types!).

I actually "mixed it up" the last time we did this and enjoyed shooting with both types just to see how I could do!

No problem with entering the same event twice - once with a kicker, and once with a recoilless - no problem at all - and really good fun!

Enjoy your weekend,

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Hello to All,

Due to my current health issues, I used an SSP (FWB 602) for the first time in the MPL - I usually use a recoiling springer, and mostly of new make : HW99S, HW95 SuperMatch, HW30S, Diana 35, TX200.

I really enjoy using these recoiling springers in the MPL - I feel it is in keeping with the spirit of the event - others probably think I am a dozy old fart for doing so

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Hello to All,

Scores updated Sunday, 20181125.

In a very impressive flurry of shooting, our newest shooter Sunbeam has shot all his cards, save for December, and all with fine scores

Well done Sunbeam !!

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Hello to All,

Scores updated Saturday, 20181201.

Sunbeam has shot all his riflecards for the Autimn/Winter series, and has now started on Supported Pistol - wow

We also welcome the first scores from Ms. Sunbeam - well done

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

I think Sunbeam must be enjoying the MPL as he has just entered the SARS competition too!

Good to have your support Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

Due to my current health issues, I used an SSP (FWB 602) for the first time in the MPL - I usually use a recoiling springer, and mostly of new make : HW99S, HW95 SuperMatch, HW30S, Diana 35, TX200.

I really enjoy using these recoiling springers in the MPL - I feel it is in keeping with the spirit of the event - others probably think I am a dozy old fart for doing so

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    I agree with you!

Shooting a "kicker" (a recoiling spring powered air rifle or pistol) is entirely in keeping with the spirit of the MPL, but being able to also exercise our SSP and recoilless springers from time to time is a real bonus.

The new Supported Shooting events are best shot with a recoilless air pistol or rifle and so we have included the PCP and CO2 powered airguns in these categories too so we now have classes that can encourage anyone to shoot targets at the traditional British 6 yard distance - whatever target airguns they own

Hope your feeling better soon Russ !

Bob.

Hello to All,

Scores updated Saturday, 20181208.

Sunbeam has now shot all his cards for Supported Pistol - probably the fastest ever completion of both rifle and pistol events

A big well done to Ms. Sunbeam for superb shooting in the Rested Rifle

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ
    Last edited by PhatMan; 09-12-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Hello to All,

Scores updated Sunday, 20181209.

Ms. Sunbeam has now shot all her cards for Supported Pistol as well

Ms. Sunbeam & Sunbeam definitely win the fastest card shooting ever seen in the MPL

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

Scores updated Sunday, 20181209.

Ms. Sunbeam has now shot all her cards for Supported Pistol as well

Ms. Sunbeam & Sunbeam definitely win the fastest card shooting ever seen in the MPL

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    Not only that Russ - Sunbeam has also just sent in a late entry for the Supported Air Rifle Competition too!

Its great to know that Rob is enjoying the MPL competition - and we are pleased to have his support.

Bob.

Hello to All,

Scores updated Sunday, 20181216.

I think Sunbeam must have shredded wheat for breakfast, as he has now finished the Supported Rifle cards (with a most excellent score) !!

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

I have just completed all of my MPL rifle and SAR targets for this current MPL season.

I used my faithful FWB red alloy P70 for the Supported Air Rifle competition and it performed flawlessly (as usual) and was even able to help this old pensioner knock up a good score to finish the season with.

To be honest when I have used my blue/green/red laminated P70 in the same competition it has been every bit as good - these P70 rifles have the perfect ergonomics for SAR shooting and have impressed everyone who has shot them at the club.

After I finished shooting my MPL rifle targets I decided to give my HW 99S a trial on the Supported Air Rifle stand just to see how a kicker would work when balanced on the hard 50mm diameter bar - and I was pleasantly surprised.

As long as the rifle fore stock was not actually "held" firmly but allowed to 'float" after the trigger was released it really worked surprisingly well!. The two best achieved scores were a 46 and a 47 - not at all bad in a discipline that we all regard as being the exclusive domain of the recoilless match rifle!.

Naturally I had a fair few disappointments too - especially as I was working-out the best way to hold the supported "kicker" (or "not" to hold it as it turned-out!) but after some practice this little springer really began to earn itself some serious respect from me and made me think that including "kickers" in this supported shooting competition could be a realistic possibility.

If we get enough interest it would be really good to include the spring powered "kickers" in this SAR class - and if they had a points premium (per card) added to their scores they could compete well against their more expensive recoilless rivals making this new shooting class even more interesting!
    Last edited by zooma; 23-12-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: suggested point premium not shown

Hello to All,

Scores updated Sunday 20181223.

And a tie in the SARS category !

Bob - I think you have something there with the kickers & SARS

I think that if the contact point is chosen correctly, then there will be consistency of the impact point (which may or may not match that from the shoulder).

It would certainly reward good and consistent holding.

I would be very interested in seeing how a kicker pistol - say a Diana/Original Model 5 - would fare in SAPS ?

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Hi Russ,

We could offer the SARS kicker option with a "points per card" premium when we draw-up the entry for the next MPL competition and see how many actually enter. We could deduct the premium from the recoilless scores or add it to the "kicker" scores.

The effect would be the same whichever way we apply the premium. The "kicker" shooter would be able to see what they had to score to match the recoilless rivals.

My guess would be that using a recoiling (kicker) rifle in the SARS competition would give a greater diversity of scores as it is bound to be harder to be as consistent, but that could just add to the fun, and it would encourage the use of less expensive air rifles again - and that was one of the primary aims of the MPL competition when we first started!

The score "premium" would have to be "worked-out" between kickers and recoilless air rifles, but it could work as follows ( assuming we agreed to deduct the premium from the recoilless scores):-

-3 would give a 300 ex 300 shot with a recoilless an "adjusted" score of 282. (6 x3 = 18 points deducted) needing 47 per target shot by a "kicker" to give the same score.

-4 would give a 300 ex 300 shot with a recoilless an "adjusted" score of 276. (6 x 4 = 24 points deducted) needing 46 per target shot by a "kicker" to give the same score.

-5 would give a 300 ex 300 shot with a recoilless an "adjusted" score of 270. ( 6x 5 = 30 points deducted) needing 45 per target shot by a "kicker" to give the same score.

My opinion is that it would be just as difficult to score 45 points per card with a kicker than it would be to score a "possible" 50 with a recoilless when shot from the hard 50mm bar.

Hopefully other's will give this a try and see what they come up with, but as long as we agree what premium is needed to make a working adjustment before the first targets of the new season are scored we have plenty of time to work out a value that brings the two score closer together.

The other option is not to bother - just carry on as now but with a different class for the "kickers" and the recoilless.

Personally I would like to see the two combined as it would be good fun for the "kickers" to chase the recoilless shooters to see how close they can get. It would also be interesting to see what recoiling rifles are the most successful when shot from a hard bar rest.

CAPPED SCORES. We could also consider putting a CAP on the "kicker" scores so that it would not be possible to score more than a 50 ex 50 if we should get a remarkably talented Kicker shooter with an exceptionally good recoiling rifle. - or just a freak good score !

Plenty to discuss and think about - please let me have your thoughts......
    Last edited by zooma; 23-12-2018 at 11:55 AM.

People don't seem to want the MPL to change or evolve, so I'd be inclined to leave it as it is.
    Plus I've just spent a 'kings ransom' for an SSP !