Thread: Springs for old BSA

Springs for old BSA

Someone who is not a member of this fine BBS has been asked to get a BSA Lincoln Jefferies underlever up and running. It apparently currently has two concentric mainsprings, and he wants to know where to obtain replacements.

The serial number is S37644.

Any help much appreciated.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Knibbs is always good, if sometimes pricey, for old BSA spares. Or Protek.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Someone who is not a member of this fine BBS has been asked to get a BSA Lincoln Jefferies underlever up and running. It apparently currently has two concentric mainsprings, and he wants to know where to obtain replacements.

The serial number is S37644.

Any help much appreciated.
    Hi Jim,

Protek are good for old springs. If this is a long cylindered .22 BSA Standard, I would recommend a BSA Meteor (Mk 6 or earlier) spring or one from an Airsporter. The latter may require a coil or two to be cut off and will fit better than some of the springs supplied by John Knibbs.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Knibbs is always good, if sometimes pricey, for old BSA spares. Or Protek.
    Thanks, Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Jim,

Protek are good for old springs. If this is a long cylindered .22 BSA Standard, I would recommend a BSA Meteor (Mk 6 or earlier) spring or one from an Airsporter. The latter may require a coil or two to be cut off and will fit better than some of the springs supplied by John Knibbs.

Kind regards,

John
    That's great, John. I cannot find any reference to BSA using concentric springs in these rifles, so imagine someone in the dim and distant past lopping off the spring guide to fit aftermarket concentric springs to 'increase power'.

Looks like a Meteor spring and a new guide might be the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Thanks, Jon.

That's great, John. I cannot find any reference to BSA using concentric springs in these rifles, so imagine someone in the dim and distant past lopping off the spring guide to fit aftermarket concentric springs to 'increase power'.

Looks like a Meteor spring and a new guide might be the best option.
    Hi Jim,

BSA did fit two part springs to some of their pre war rifles but these were never concentric and simply two short springs placed end to end. Sounds like maybe someone fitted a spring from a Relum or similar?

Kind regards,

John

Thumbs up

I don't know if he still has any but I acquired a set of original BSA short springs from Chris Hough, He's over on the other forum with the username 'Norman'

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/