Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG Air ASP20 - “most significant development of the spring gun ever”

SIG Air ASP20 - “most significant development of the spring gun ever”

Interesting. Looking at both the Pyramydair blog, and the Hard Air one, SIG Air in the US just had a bunch of journalists in (including our own Terry D) and showed them the new American-made ASP20 break-barrel.

Tom Gaylord describes it as “the most significant development of the spring gun ever”, saying it’s like an FWB Sport, only with a great trigger and much less hold sensitive.

I presume Terry will not be commenting in advance of publishing a feature in AGW.

This sounds worth keeping an eye on. Just maybe this is the new great b/b we hoped AA would make.

Oh, and retail price in the US is under $400 (Ł300). Solware here have them provisionally priced at.... over Ł500.

secretagentmole Guest
    What is so significant? Nothing Theoben have not done before...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    ugerly resin trumpet with a gas strut

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    What is so significant? Nothing Theoben have not done before...
    I honestly have no idea. But it’s interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    ugerly resin trumpet with a gas strut
    Yup, I do not like the looks. But let’s see how it handles. And shoots.

I am not posting this as some kind of besotted internet fanboy. I fully expect to be underwhelmed by this thing, as I was by the new FWB Sport, especially at a UK list price higher than a Pro-Sport.

But it is interesting, not least because of the very initial positive reactions from people like Tom G, who I think is a good guy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It's a magnum break-barrel with a gas-strut and a tacticool .338 bolt-gun sniper rifle type stock. Should sell alot in 'merica and is priced to do so, hits the varmint slayer and SWAT/Navy Seal teenage wannabe markets at the same time.

Nothing revolutionary about it.

Snooty Brits and olde-school Euros and Scandis will not take to it, it looks like a rifle for someone who is going to do a job with it, rather than enjoy a sport.

Especially not at Ł439.99
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 31-07-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    That has got to be the sound of a blueing tank laughing at something with plastic parts...

Its just another plastic stocked, gas strut break barrel which will be hideous to start with and worse when detuned for here.

I see nothing new or remotely attractive but look forward to reading all about giant steps forward

Its just another plastic stocked, gas strut break barrel which will be hideous to start with and worse when detuned for here.

I see nothing new or remotely attractive but look forward to reading all about giant steps forward
    There is wooden stocked ones too. https://www.sigsauer.com/store/asp20...ood-stock.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/airgu...tml?model=1537

STOCK TYPE
    Wood

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    There is wooden stocked ones too. https://www.sigsauer.com/store/asp20...ood-stock.html

STOCK TYPE
    Wood
    Oh that changes everything, with a walnut stock like that I can see it taking over the world

Its a beautiful thing...

NOT

Oh that changes everything, with a walnut stock like that I can see it taking over the world

Its a beautiful thing...

NOT
    My thoughts too .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I like the look of it

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it, they have clearly put some thought into things...
    a different breech design to try and eliminate droop and drilling the pivot holes through both pieces at the same time to ensure consistency and a better fit between barrel and action.

Ok power wise its aimed at the US market for now.

But I'll rather wait till I read some "real" owner reviews and opinions before I become an armchair critic who's never set eyes,, or even hands on it.

Just read part 2 of Tom Gaylord's report.
    Personally I'm still not quite feeling it.
    The breech designed with "keystone" lockup yet the breech is retained in the jaws by a pin. The pics show one side of the pin is grooved and retained via a grub screw. AT best , if there's one on both sides, preventing those breech jaws opening / splaying, thats a fair amount of force on 2 grub screws.

The barrel / action mated as one makes me think that barrel swaps may not be the order of the day.

Read the specs too. Length at a shade over 45 inches and no mention of weight. I guess its no lightweight.
    Looks like a weaver rail too.
    I like the idea of the vertical pistol grip but the butt to trigger length does look short. Looks to be compensated for by the rail being quite far down the cylinder.

Guess I'll just keep reading for now. There'll be plenty more of reading for me before I'd consider one.
    I'd certainly want to be assured of a complete parts / spares backup with the chosen UK distributor (Highland Outdoors were mentioned in Tom's write up).
    Last edited by robs5230; 01-08-2018 at 06:44 AM.
    B.A.S.C. member