Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Model 50 indentification

Original Model 50 indentification

Picked up a .177 Model 50 in amazing untouched condition. Dated 04 76 with rubber butt plate ,metal rear sight with matt finish, and front sight with interchangeable posts. I am confused with the different variants of these, can anybody identify this description and value it. Beautiful blueing like the first day it was purchased.

Thanks, Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Picked up a .177 Model 50 in amazing untouched condition. Dated 04 76 with rubber butt plate ,metal rear sight with matt finish, and front sight with interchangeable posts. I am confused with the different variants of these, can anybody identify this description and value it. Beautiful blueing like the first day it was purchased.

Thanks, Baz
    Does it have the sleek schnabel forend or the larger, more angular stock? The 50 changed in or around that year. Just known as a Model 50 by this point.
    A good 50 will change hands for around £150-£180 privately and I’ve seen some in dealers for around £250 or more. There are several on the more famous gun sales sites. Yours sounds way above good though.

IIRC, the plastic rear sight was on the 1969-76 ones with the earlier, nicer, stock.

The metal rear sight was on the 1976 and onward ones with the more angular stock.

So it sounds like you have an early example of the late-70s/early 80s type.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Does it have the sleek schnabel forend or the larger, more angular stock? The 50 changed in or around that year. Just known as a Model 50 by this point.
    A good 50 will change hands for around £150-£180 privately and I’ve seen some in dealers for around £250 or more. There are several on the more famous gun sales sites. Yours sounds way above good though.
    Thanks Drew, a picture tells a thousand words...

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

hi looks good, i have 1 i'v had 44 years it has a bakelite butt pad, no scope rail and no s/number that i can find.Its a .22 i never use it but won't sell it. atb mick

Very nice. I was leaning towards Geezers viewpoint from your description but that is the earlier model. I think there was some overlap in models around that year.
    Possibly earlier actions still around by the time later stocks coming in. I have one of each type, both dated 07 74. Identical actions in different stocks.

Thanks, Baz
    Many of these old guns exude quality far and above those of modern guns. I had the same delight when looking over the 35s I picked up start of the week.
    Dave

I have one in about the same condition as Benelli's it's nice to look at,but performance wise the 50 was always lacking,unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I have one in about the same condition as Benelli's it's nice to look at,but performance wise the 50 was always lacking,unfortunately.
    50s are usually good and accurate guns but never the most powerful.

Very nice. I was leaning towards Geezers viewpoint from your description but that is the earlier model. I think there was some overlap in models around that year.
    Possibly earlier actions still around by the time later stocks coming in. I have one of each type, both dated 07 74. Identical actions in different stocks.
    Clearly, as with most makers, there were some “transitional” models with a mix of old and new features.

My guess (guess) would be that Diana decided to introduce the metal sight with the new stock, but still used up their inventory of earlier stocks with it for a little while. The plastic sight was still being used into the 80s on the 5 and 6 pistols and the 25 rifle, so there would have been no imperative to keep using it on the 50.

I’ve only had one 50, a post-76 square stock model and TBH I’ve not been that impressed with it. On the other hand, 70s Airsporters are pretty unimpressive too, and the Webley Mark III was out of production in 75, so there wasn’t much competition.

I am already selling this on and I still don't know what all the different marks are. Whats a T01 ?

Baz

I am already selling this on and I still don't know what all the different marks are. Whats a T01 ?

Baz
    The 50 type 01 is the later evolution of the 50 with essentially an Original 45 powerplant and an extended underlever.
    Not as good as either of the above but not a bad gun in my experience.
    TO1 is a moniker used on many Diana models to signify a revised version

The 50 type 01 is the later evolution of the 50 with essentially an Original 45 powerplant and an extended underlever.
    Not as good as either of the above but not a bad gun in my experience.
    TO1 is a moniker used on many Diana models to signify a revised version
    Nope I don't think Original covered themselves in glory with the Type 01 and I suspect the pursuit of ME in.the marque ultimately ended in a slightly over stressed gun with the accompanying loss of smoothness and accuracy. But a little work to them.can claw back some of that and ultimately they are quite thin on.the ground and perhaps why I have a soft spot for them
    Dave

Thumbs up

This is a T01, I sold it years ago and recently managed to buy it back!!

Blueing is superb still, Stock has picked up a scratch or two though

Here's some more (Not T01), The centre one had a bakelite trigger blade that had snapped, It took two years to find a replacement, The replacement was aluminium but did the job, The gun had been stripped for the last two years and I struggled to remember how it went back together!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Big old lump, that 50TO1.

How does it shoot, John? Consensus seems to be that they are not a nice thing.