Thread: Bugelspanner - what sort of price range and what kind of accuracy do they give?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Bugelspanner - what sort of price range and what kind of accuracy do they give?

as above ..

Very surprised no one has replied so here goes. I am only aware of the 'fairground' 0.25 Buggelspanner with the two convolute springs as power source. I have never chrono'd one but can say that from firing one in the garden you can watch the pellet in flight as it curves downrange. At 30 yards and aiming straight at (as far as I was able) an A4 sized target, the pellet dropped so much it did not reach the target. But then I guess they were only meant to be used at max 6 yards ... or should that be 6 feet ... in fairgrounds.
    Price will clearly depend on condition ... some were nicely chromed / nickeled so I will stick my neck out and go for £150 - £400.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Very surprised no one has replied so here goes. I am only aware of the 'fairground' 0.25 Buggelspanner with the two convolute springs as power source. I have never chrono'd one but can say that from firing one in the garden you can watch the pellet in flight as it curves downrange. At 30 yards and aiming straight at (as far as I was able) an A4 sized target, the pellet dropped so much it did not reach the target. But then I guess they were only meant to be used at max 6 yards ... or should that be 6 feet ... in fairgrounds.
    Price will clearly depend on condition ... some were nicely chromed / nickeled so I will stick my neck out and go for £150 - £400.
    Cheers, Phil
    What Phil says. Plus, you can sometimes get them cheap on eGun.de when there's a glut, although I think sales of bugelspanners are thinning out now and they are not so common. They were made over a long period (up to the '50s, I think?) so there's a lot out there. The volute springs (like on old-style secateurs) are no match for coil springs. I've never chronoed one but I'd be surprised if it made more than 300 fps in .25 cal. You do see them occasionally in .177 cal and they are the successors to the old crank-wound parlour rifles, so they were definitely designed for short ranges. See here for lots of pics.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Accuracy isn't anything to shout about, weren't they originally intended for use with darts? I had some made up for mine in. 25, they'd generally bounce of a quality darts board.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

One on egun attracting interest at the mo'

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    'Fairground' rifles were not renowned for their accuracy!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.