Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New old air pistol

New old air pistol

Hi there and apologies for asking a very basic question. This is my 1st post and would like some ideas for an older air pistol for targets in my garden to start with. I prefer old school pistols. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler View Post
    Hi there and apologies for asking a very basic question. This is my 1st post and would like some ideas for an older air pistol for targets in my garden to start with. I prefer old school pistols. Many thanks.
    Any of the old milled blued Webley pistols would be ideal. Total old school heft and feel and very accurate. For actual back yard shooting they are just hard to beat. As close to shooting a 22lr pistol as it gets? Senior or Premier?

Been collecting only a short time myself but in my back yard yesterday I was plucking away with my Webley Senior. Nailing 1 inch groups at my usual short 15 feet. Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 03-08-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Hi,
    A Feinwerkbau 65 etc. or a Diana model 6 make very accurate target pistols,
    and for all round fun it’s hard to beat any of the old Webley’s.

Matt.

Pistol

Welcome to the Airgun Forum. I go with the above replies. The only thing I would add is that the post-war Webley Senior and Premier are easier to cock than the Mark 1. There are lots of all these models about as they were so well made.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

What is your budget?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    the post-war Webley Senior
    Pedant corner: the pre-war Senior is as easy to cock as the post-war.

Bowler: welcome. Lots of good suggestions above. I’d add the Diana/Original LP5 and LP5G, which are kind of the archetypal springer pistol, and the BSA Scorpion, which is both a laugh and surprisingly accurate if/when you get the hang of it. Just don’t take it apart: it’s a bit tricky to get back together.

If you want to go the pump-up or CO2 route, a lot of the older American pistols (Crosman, Benjamin, Sheridan) are interesting. As is the single-stroke pneumatic FAS604 (not the new FAS6004, which is rubbish).

But, as others have said, if you want a back garden, quiet, nostalgic, nice, informal target shooter, get a top-break Webley. They are great, and you will not lose money on it, given the number of Webley collectors.

Many thanks for the replies. I think I am leaning towards a Webley. I like the look of the premier and write up's seem good. They are not cheap though. Someone asked my budget. I think for a VGC maybe £150 to £200 max. Looking on the Net some are going for over £350!!

Senior or premier?

What is the main difference between the senior and the premier. I meant to ask in my last post. I like the look of both. Thanks again.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    What is the main difference between the senior and the premier. I meant to ask in my last post. I like the look of both. Thanks again.
    Not a lot realy, it's just a mater of choice. but don't go for the Mark 2 Premier as the body is made from alloy, go for a early one with the steel body. good luck with your choice.

Major difference is the Premier has a trigger adjustment. I find the adjustment ability on mine not that helpful? It’s a very light trigger. Premier over its run added sinter parts instead of milled steel. Mine has a sinter barrel catch and trigger. I prefer my Senior just because of build quality and but they are both fine guns. I would think if you want a shooter you could find a Webley in your price range.

Hi,

Webley continued production of both the Senior and Mk1 after the war, but around 1964 decided to combine the best features of the MK1 and the Senior within a single model to be called the Premier. The retention of the trigger adjustment screw from the Mlk1 was the most noticeable difference between the Senior and the Premier, although as has already been stated, this feature is of limited value. The all steel Premier was produced up until the mid seventies when it was replaced with the alloy frame Mk2 variant. The early A or B series Premiers are probably the most sought after which means a slightly higher selling price, but any of the latter steel series are perfectly satisfactory. Expect to pay around £180 for a later steel model or nearer £200 for an earlier 4 pin model.

Great article on the Premier included in an article written by John Milewski in this free magazine download.

https://jumpshare.com/v/Nhy1lA4EKMYG...BCH25ncar8YQ0a

Regards
    Brian

Hard to beat the Original model 6, its performance will put a smile on your face. Amazing trigger, no recoil and super accurate. Pick up a good one £100 to £160.
    Makes everyone an expert shot.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

mk1

I have been quoted £180 for a great condition Mk1 premier. Boxed but no photos! Their discription not mine. What would be a ball park figure. Thanks again.

For sale

Or should I wait to see what comes up on here?

Link

Many thanks Brian, just having a quick look at the link you sent. I believe I can't look at the for sale sight on here till I have done so many threads!i Does that make sense?