Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonehill Britannia vs Webley Service

That’s not far at all.
    A very kind offer thanks, I might well take you up on it, would be nice to make a direct comparison.
    I’ll PM you if I do.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    not so far... I'm beween Wimbledon and Kingston. If you are unable to try the rifles you are interested in more locally, I have a Britannia, a Service, and a couple of pre war BSA underlevers (a Light and a Standard) that you could try out if you wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by D10bore View Post
    There is a very nice long tom bsa airgun and a Diana modell 27 (£90) and 3 Britannia’s 2 Webley services on proteks web site worth a look pre 1939 airguns nothing to do with me just a freindly heads up mike
    Cheers Mike.
    I’m a big fan of Protek, bought a few vintage pistols from Vic.
    It was the Britannia on there that made me think of it as an option, I’ll try to get something in a more original condition though, via private sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    The 'pre-war' 27 is a beautiful rifle and so easy to work on. There are a few different variants as well if you want to start collecting. Not very expensive either ... much cheaper than a Service.
    Cheers, Phil
    Hi Phil,
    I agree, the 1928 ‘27 we got for the missus is awesome, 8+ftlbs and accurate out to 35yds. That surprised me for something of that age.

I collect vintage air pistols and am trying to refrain from collecting rifles, just want one to compete in vintage hft. (Got a fwb 124 for the classic catagory)
    I’m starting to understand why people do though, as with vintage air pistols the variety of mechanisms and designs is fantastically varied. I wouldn’t want more than one of each type though, and for now just want a great example to shoot, with a bit of pride of ownership too.

Sure it’ll turn into a collection in the not too distant future though!

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Last edited by ptdunk; 05-08-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Well....
    after a very useful plinking session with a Standard and Light Pattern BSA, a Bonehill Brittania and a Webley Service I've come to the following conclusion:

I'm glad I didn't buy the BSA CS last week, as I found the length of the Standard a bit cumbersome.

The Light Pattern had the nicest sight picture, was very comfortable to shoot, but a bit low powered, and dare I say it, not hugely exciting.

The Bonehill Britannia was lovely to shoot, the balance is amazing (almost like a 100 yr old bullpup) and it has a very pleasing mechanism. The trigger wasn't too bad but the rear sight is quite close to your eye which seems to make it difficult to get a good sight picture, and it didn't group as well as the BSA or Webley.

The Webley Service was very nice indeed, interesting loading procedure, predictable trigger and reasonable sight picture. Grouped the best of the lot.

So, seeing as so many people use BSA's for our Vintage HFT comp I think I'll keep an eye out for a .177 Webley Service, but could easily be swayed by an original condition Bonehill Britannia should one pop up! ....and Kempton Park is only a few days before my birthday

Many thanks to Shed Tuner for his generous hospitality in letting me try his lovely rifles.

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Matt.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, it was interesting to compare.. I'd never really done so myself. It was like a timewarp.. except for those new fangled "shoot-n-see" targets

I have to say I think the Light was my favourite, in terms of sights, accuracy, balance and firing cycle.. but as you say 6Fp is a little "light" on power.

Pleasure to meet you and good luck in your rifle quest
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I agree,
    the Light Pattern is probably the best for the job, a lovely rifle that ticks all the box's...and even 6.5 ftlbs should knock em down at 35yds.

Just need to decide if I want the best chance for a good score, or just to enjoy the process and try to master a quirky but unique rifle.

Head says light Pattern, heart says Britannia!

Cheers,

Matt.