Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Its NOT C.O.AL. it is....

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    C.O.L. CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH. Overall is one word.

Sorry, but OAL is a very long-accepted abbreviation for overall length - ship, aircraft, vehicles, cartridges, etc.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    Sorry, but OAL is a very long-accepted abbreviation for overall length - ship, aircraft, vehicles, cartridges, etc.
    But it's loa for ships.

Herr Splitter.

While we are at it how about Would have, Could have and Should have, instead of, Would of, Could of, and Should of!!

TB

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    But it's loa for ships.

Herr Splitter.
    Or LBP.

But OAL is still a common - though less official - acronym.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Or LBP.

But OAL is still a common - though less official - acronym.
    But "length between perpendiculars" (LBP) is not the same as LOA. In over forty years of ship-related employment I've never come across "OAL" in relation to vessel measurement, whether in the registration paperwork, tonnage certificates or classification society nomenclature. Always happy to learn something new though, thanks!

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    I still dont care
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    I still dont care
    Neither do I. Anybody should understand OAL - I think I've recognised it since I was about 8.

Neither do I. Anybody should understand OAL - I think I've recognised it since I was about 8.
    Its like "Heads" v "Bullets". They were bullet heads when I was a kid. I know they are bullets and if anyone referred to them as a "Head", I know what they mean so why get stressed out about it?

If folk seriously think that they might "Mistake" a bullet for a case head as regards the reloading process then either "folk" or the "Miscreant" probably should not be out and about without a carer, let alone messing with hand loading.

THIS was one reason given, but generally it is just pedantics with bugger all better to do than find something that offends them

Its like "Heads" v "Bullets". They were bullet heads when I was a kid. I know they are bullets and if anyone referred to them as a "Head", I know what they mean so why get stressed out about it?

If folk seriously think that they might "Mistake" a bullet for a case head as regards the reloading process then either "folk" or the "Miscreant" probably should not be out and about without a carer, let alone messing with hand loading.

THIS was one reason given, but generally it is just pedantics with bugger all better to do than find something that offends them
    So very true mate!!

I use head now just to wind the pedants up!

Most of the major shops now use the term, in 20 years it will be proper terminology . . . .
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    So very true mate!!

I use head now just to wind the pedants up!

Most of the major shops now use the term, in 20 years it will be proper terminology . . . .
    Well, the next thing down is the neck, ain't it - and below that often there's a shoulder, then a body...

Well, the next thing down is the neck, ain't it - and below that often there's a shoulder, then a body...

A sensible observation sir.

Sadly the very base is also known as the case head and is cited by some as being a possible safety issue IF you might mistake one for the other Personally, in my opinion, if you are that stupid you should not own a spoon let alone an FAC.

This particular argument is that of someone clutching at straws during an argument they are losing if you ask me.

This said I was taking a mate though reloading .303 at the weekend and he kept forgetting the charge weight (using electronic scales) so I demonstrated just how much powder a .303 case would take. I suspect that for some a powder scale that just needs setting and matching is the way forward.

A sensible observation sir.

Sadly the very base is also known as the case head and is cited by some as being a possible safety issue IF you might mistake one for the other Personally, in my opinion, if you are that stupid you should not own a spoon let alone an FAC.

This particular argument is that of someone clutching at straws during an argument they are losing if you ask me.

This said I was taking a mate though reloading .303 at the weekend and he kept forgetting the charge weight (using electronic scales) so I demonstrated just how much powder a .303 case would take. I suspect that for some a powder scale that just needs setting and matching is the way forward.
    Gordon Bennett - if he can't remember the charge weight, can he write it - and read what he's written?

I used to use 41 grains of Reloader15, and I had to check my old documents to make sure, but my excuse is that it's more than 10 years since I last used it.

I guess it'd take more than a UK referendum to get the case head renamed as the case heel ...

Dalua is offline No need for me to cry...
    You're forgetting the case-mouth, I think.

The important thing to keep in mind is that a brass cartridge-case as we know it today is not a mammal: from an evolutionary perspective it had a head, body and mouth long before it had a shoulder and neck.

Perhaps we could rename the case-head 'case-trousers'. That, after all, is where the pocket is. Ah - so maybe it's a marsupial? Or perhaps it is an arachnid, what with the web and all?

'Head' for bullet will be as wrong in 20 years' time as it is now. Or as right. We should perhaps simply bow to the power of lowest-common-denominator ignorance? It seems to carry the argument with respect to every other damned thing.
    Last edited by Dalua; 21-10-2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: '
    We have always known there were two Britains: one extraordinarily pleasant, inhabited by mild, tolerant, kindly people; the other utterly disgusting, inhabited by brutal and malevolent louts. Auberon Waugh

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    You're forgetting the case-mouth, I think.

The important thing to keep in mind is that a brass cartridge-case as we know it today is not a mammal: from an evolutionary perspective it had a head, body and mouth long before it had a shoulder and neck.

Perhaps we could rename the case-head 'case-trousers'. That, after all, is where the pocket is. Ah - so maybe it's a marsupial? Or perhaps it is an arachnid, what with the web and all?

'Head' for bullet will be as wrong in 20 years' time as it is now. Or as right. We should perhaps simply bow to the power of lowest-common-denominator ignorance? It seems to carry the argument with respect to every other damned thing.
    Sadly this may mean that I get STM pins stuck in my cases Anus.....

Gordon Bennett - if he can't remember the charge weight, can he write it - and read what he's written?
    That's the problem with being on parmanent send....no capacity to receive and process info