Thread: Steyr Hunting 5, conversion to "SA".

Steyr Hunting 5, conversion to "SA".

Phew, I've said it, and without comments from the "Don't Stir Up Hornets Society". Having done so, more astute BBS readers have worked out that I have a "Biathlon Cocking Steyr Hunting 5" that wants to improve itself by a simple mod allowing "Self Indexing". Does this exist in a "Home Improvement" format, or any other involving "Paid Agencies".

Thanks in advance for any informative responses.

Vic Thompson.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Initially Steyr said they had a kit and were going to post me one for an article, they then said there had been modifications to the action during production and they couldn't be sure it would work.

Make of that what you will, I haven't been in the gun for a poke around as SA isn't all that appealling in of itself.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Thank you for the prompt response tinbum. Someone has already contacted me by PM suggesting youself as being as being a suitable person to speak to, and I've already sent you a "redundant PM" in that respect.

Your comments regarding Steyr Official Communications are similar" to those received (frustratingly) by myself from them.

From my point of view, there is a lot of similarity between the "Two Items". If such is true, why would any "Manufacturing Concern In Their Right Mind" want to make two such similar looking items with "Entirely Different Actions".

IMHO, the two items are readily convertible between different indexing systems, but Steyr won't release details of how to do so as they want to gain as much Capital Out Of the Market as possible.

Vic Thompson.

Vic have you shot the SA version?
    I was sent the manual by accident and had a chance to shoot it alongside the SA version that another club member had at the time. Although I could have had it collected by courier for exchange I decided to keep it and was credited with the difference. The two chaps I know who bought the SA (for LSR) didn't improve their scores with it and one got shot of it and the other kept his as it's fun to shoot. I had mine for LSR and hunting, although I gave up both and sold it to help fund my Steyr Challenge purchase fund.

I also had the LP50 pistol a while back but as I wasn't shooting rapid or turning targets that went too.

My point, if I have one, is do you want it for fast fire or fun, if its the latter then crack on, if it's the former (unless you've already tried it) I wouldn't bother myself as the manual system is plenty quick enough for rapid and deliberate enough for LSR.

Just my two pennies
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Hello bootneckbob. Yes I have as I've owned a few Hunting 5's in the past, in both lengths and both formats (manual and S/A). You're right about little difference between speed of shooting, the manual cocking version is fast enough for most people and for either format, you don't need to break position to index the Magazine. The real difference in my opinion is shot count and accuracy. Both my S/As had a much higher shot count than the Manual version and knocked spots off the Manual as regards accuracy. I could get over 200 shots from my full length S/A and long range accuracy was unrivaled by most guns I've ever owned.

Vic Thompson.

Bumpers : has anyone had a dabble in this area as of yet ?

Vic Thompson

My user manual had two diagrams that would unfold, giving an exploded view of all the parts, and as I recall there are some differences, such that you can't simply add parts, you have to swap some out.

Steyr Austria were initially helpful and informative - this is three years ago I'm talking about - but when the flak started flying on here and elsewhere about legality their attitude changed. Partly that was due to them not liking continental dealers selling to the UK.

Much as I admire the manual version, for me the self loading or whatever we are allowed to call it, is the raison d'etre for the Hunting 5.

Mine was easily capable of a phenomenal shot count. On the day it arrived I put 22 magazines through it in succession and had barely plus or minus 5fps extreme conditions.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    My user manual had two diagrams that would unfold, giving an exploded view of all the parts, and as I recall there are some differences, such that you can't simply add parts, you have to swap some out.

Steyr Austria were initially helpful and informative - this is three years ago I'm talking about - but when the flak started flying on here and elsewhere about legality their attitude changed. Partly that was due to them not liking continental dealers selling to the UK.

Much as I admire the manual version, for me the self loading or whatever we are allowed to call it, is the raison d'etre for the Hunting 5.

Mine was easily capable of a phenomenal shot count. On the day it arrived I put 22 magazines through it in succession and had barely plus or minus 5fps extreme conditions.
    I've found this an interesting thread, I've toyed in the past of getting one but been put off by the high cost and the fact the pellet jumps from mag to barrel (I know people say they are very accurate)
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Bump in the hope of new ideas and fresh input to the subject,

Vic Thompson

maybe the way to go is get a donor semi autohave a gunsmith have a good old dig at it,then take yours apart and see the difference.

looked into it myself but hit a brick wall

Just as a thought, would Steyr offer a factory upgrade?

Rob

Thanks for the additional replies to date. I did contact Steyr UK before my latest posting on the matter but got exactly the same response as Tinbum. I then asked about buying a SA Receiver as a stand alone item but it was suggested that the cost would be prohibitive.

The only "cheap Way" I've found of getting one to date is to buy a SA without stock and mags and swap across the bits from one of my standard Hunting 5's when I want to go SA. Even this approach would cost around £1600 or so.

Vic Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    Thanks for the additional replies to date. I did contact Steyr UK before my latest posting on the matter but got exactly the same response as Tinbum. I then asked about buying a SA Receiver as a stand alone item but it was suggested that the cost would be prohibitive.

The only "cheap Way" I've found of getting one to date is to buy a SA without stock and mags and swap across the bits from one of my standard Hunting 5's when I want to go SA. Even this approach would cost around £1600 or so.

Vic Thompson.
    It really shouldn't be that hard should it... When I converted the my daystate to .20 from .177 it was easy. I just looked online for a place that sold the individual bits that I needed and e-mailed them. They set me straight on what parts I actually needed and probably saved me a packet in doing so, I paid, they delivered (to my local RFD) job done. It was expensive for what you get but heck loads cheaper than buying a new gun.
    Is there not a helpful RFD that can help you.. IL have a look and see if the place I got my DS parts from stocks styer (or however you ruddy spell it!) And put you on to them if you like, they were incredibly helpful..
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Steyr SA

What you should do Vic is get one like mine HO HO