Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: High End Vs Budget Scope Mounts

I cannot understand some mount manufacturers who lined their mounts, I suppose so you dont crush the scope tube,thus reducing the inside diameter of the mount thus making in easier to crush the scope tube.

ATB
    Ian
    [Ive got more Apels than Granny Smith. ]
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    So you are going anal about aligning the outer scope tube to an action block but not the barrel ...
    but without the shim You just cross x the erector tube inside...

Fail!
    HA HA
    Sorry Krisko I'm not that technically minded, can you explain what you mean in layman's terms?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I had unknown mounts come with a 2nd hand scope they were utter crap that I could see & feel did not align when fitted,
    I then fitted some Sportsmatch reach fwd/back mounts but these had close to 2" lateral shift from 20yds to 150yds,
    I then fitted Hawke match mounts these were better but still had almost an inch of lateral shift over the same range,
    I then fitted BKL mounts which showed no lateral shift with increasing/decreasing range.
    Since then I have only ever used BKL mounts on dovetails.
    That just can't be right. If it was surely the other brands mentioned are simply no good and just wouldn't sell.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post
    That just can't be right. If it was surely the other brands mentioned are simply no good and just wouldn't sell.
    Definitely can be correct. My first quality springer was a TX200. I bought a high end scope and what I thought were very good mounts. The mount was a 1 piece and when I zeroed the gun at 10 yards, it was shooting around 4" to 5" left at 55 yards. I zeroed at 55 and it was to the right at 10 yards by a small amount, but on a 3/8" target, it would be enough to cause a lot of misses. I reversed the mount and it then shot 4" to 5" right at 55 yards. I was convinced my gun was not straight, but I bought a 1 piece BKL 260 mount to try before I tried something more involved. I zeroed at 10 yards and when I went to the 55 yard target, all my shots were right along the vertical line I was shooting at. I was sold on BKL from that point and won't consider buying another brand. The bargain priced mounts will always sell because most people just don't want to pay extra for something that seems trivial to them. I just don't have the time or extra money to try cheap mounts until I find one that's good.

I had a set of Hilver low steel rings I used on my Spartan, when mounted back to back on the rail, the rings were perfectly aligned

I liked them as they matched the steel of both Spartan receiver and Habicht scope, rings still with scope when Spartan sold

Oh, and they cost £27.50 from local dealer, I bought last rwo sets they had
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I think it's already been covered now but basically buy what you like to do the job you want. £9.99 might be okay for back garden plinking or even club plinking, who knows might even be fine for FT between 10-55yds. So long as they work and you are content the bridge between your rifle and scope is the cheapest mass produced piece of crap, no dramas. I doubt the budget brigade are the same as those seaching for the perfect pellet and refining barrel harmonics; at least I hope not!
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Like many others I use Sportsmatch and BKL, however I have recently noticed that the quality of BKL has dropped.

Before, when they were sold in a brown cardboard box they were great, now they come in a fancy silver box with stars and stripes, they seem loose and don't fit as well, has anyone else found this? I had trouble tightening the tops as they seemed too tight...

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    I had a set of Hilver low steel rings I used on my Spartan, when mounted back to back on the rail, the rings were perfectly aligned

I liked them as they matched the steel of both Spartan receiver and Habicht scope, rings still with scope when Spartan sold

[...]
    I had exactly the same on my Spartan, and they also went with the gun as they have fitted it so well! The old Hillvers were made in Oz I believe.

They still sell because "some people" can't see why they should spend £40 on mounts when they can buy a set for £4.99

or for those who only plink in the garden always at the same fixed range, they will have no idea that at twice the range the POI will be way off.

I then fitted some Sportsmatch reach fwd/back mounts but these had close to 2" lateral shift from 20yds to 150yds,
    I then fitted Hawke match mounts these were better but still had almost an inch of lateral shift over the same range,
    I then fitted BKL mounts which showed no lateral shift with increasing/decreasing range.
    Since then I have only ever used BKL mounts on dovetails.

They still sell because "some people" can't see why they should spend £40 on mounts when they can buy a set for £4.99

or for those who only plink in the garden always at the same fixed range, they will have no idea that at twice the range the POI will be way off.
    Sportsmatch and Hawke (Match) are not what I'd call 'cheap mounts'. There must be hundreds of thousands of shooters that use these and I would have thought, if what you say is right, that it'd be common knowledge by now and most would steer clear. But they don't and not all of them can be shooting at fixed ranges

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Like many others I use Sportsmatch and BKL, however I have recently noticed that the quality of BKL has dropped.

Before, when they were sold in a brown cardboard box they were great, now they come in a fancy silver box with stars and stripes, they seem loose and don't fit as well, has anyone else found this? I had trouble tightening the tops as they seemed too tight...
    They were in a plastic shell originally. The company was sold and then the brown box came out. The brown box is the last I've bought and they did seem ever so slightly less well made. It's certainly possible they have gone downhill like all other things.

[QUOTE=rabbitslayer;7544400]Sorry Krisko I'm not that technically minded, can you explain what you mean in layman's terms?[/QUOTE

Just buy guns with built in 20moa built into the rails. Or use adjustable scope rings to point the scope down following the trajectory as that’s where the poi will be.
    There is no point aligning the outer scope tube to the rifle’s action, as the inner erector tube is more important to get into the axis alas it is invisible.

A scope performs best when left in optical axis every other setting is a compromise.

Nearly forgot to say: if your barrel is bent or the bore is badly out of alignement, no matter how much you mess with the scope and the mounts it will not shoot straight, just like if you have bad a pellet barrel combination spitting it out in curves spiralling, you can’t fix it with scope rings no matter the costs lol
    Last edited by krisko; 11-08-2018 at 10:50 AM.

I had exactly the same on my Spartan, and they also went with the gun as they have fitted it so well! The old Hillvers were made in Oz I believe.
    Yes, Hilver were made in Oz but went bust, I let the second, unopened boxed set go with the Spartan when it sold
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

SportsMatch are excellent. Only if they were 20% cheaper.

A.G

BKL is owned by Auto-Numatic that owns Airforce . possibly why the quality has dropped and the use of the stars and stripes box

BKL Mounts, Rings and Adapters Return to Market
    July 6, 2009 (Ft. Worth, TX)

Auto-Numatic Corporation, the parent company of AirForce Airguns, is proud to announce the acquisition of the assets of BKL Technologies, which manufactured a full line of air rifle and rimfire scope mounts popular among target shooters. Auto-Numatic plans to keep the BKL name as it denotes quality, variety and innovation in airgun and rimfire mounts the same way AirForce denotes quality, accuracy and power for the premium airgun market.
    BKL operations have been moved to the main production facility in Fort Worth, Texas and will be manufactured in the USA. All mounts, rings and adapters are manufactured from aircraft grade aluminum alloy. They are available in a wide range of configurations geared specifically for air guns and rimfires for both 1-inch and 30mm rifle scopes.

Auto-Numatic is the Texas-based parent company of AirForce Airguns and BKL Technologies. AirForce Airguns revolutionized the airgun world with the first U.S. manufactured pre-charged pneumatic airgun in 1998. AirForce is now an established leader in the design and manufacture of high performance adult airguns. BKL has revolutionized professional quality mounting systems for airguns and rimfire rifles. Auto-Numatic Corporation's headquarters and production facilities are located in Fort Worth, Texas.

They also own Rapid air weapons and Theoben too.