Thread: Ding! Ding!

Ding! Ding!

I have been having a go at bell target recently with my rejuvenated Haenel 303-S, but it almost feels like cheating by using dioptre sights! I had a go with a more traditional style rifle this week, and became interested in the challenge of ringing the bell with something closer to the original type of gun that the sport started with.
    Having a look on the Web, the older, under-lever BSA rifles seem to look the part, but I could not find much about the model variants, ages etc.
    I would like any advice about this style of rifle with the goal of buying one in the next few months. I don't want an immaculate collectors item with all the provenance; just something that works as it should and is not too scruffy, enough for a nice bit of character, maybe.
    I don't know what budget I have yet, I am happy to wait and save up for the right thing, but think I would struggle to justify much over £200 to myself for an 'informal shooter'.
    Cheers,
    Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I have been having a go at bell target recently with my rejuvenated Haenel 303-S, but it almost feels like cheating by using dioptre sights! I had a go with a more traditional style rifle this week, and became interested in the challenge of ringing the bell with something closer to the original type of gun that the sport started with.
    Having a look on the Web, the older, under-lever BSA rifles seem to look the part, but I could not find much about the model variants, ages etc.
    I would like any advice about this style of rifle with the goal of buying one in the next few months. I don't want an immaculate collectors item with all the provenance; just something that works as it should and is not too scruffy, enough for a nice bit of character, maybe.
    I don't know what budget I have yet, I am happy to wait and save up for the right thing, but think I would struggle to justify much over £200 to myself for an 'informal shooter'.
    Cheers,
    Mark.
    Hi Mark,

I would spend some time going through the various sections of the BSA section on the vintage Airguns Gallery. There is a lot of information on there and will answer any questions you have. I was in Protek Supplies in Bognor earlier in the week and they had a few old BSAs in stock.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ying-old-bsas/

Good luck.

John

Thanks John, the Protek site is very interesting for examples of actual guns with detailed descriptions of their condition. This made the other link more understandable for a vintage newbie!
    I am still a little confused about the model letters, I thought they only went up to 'D' so seeing a model 'T' threw me!
    Hopefully there might be something I can at least handle (and maybe buy) at the Melbourne gun fair in October.

Thanks John, the Protek site is very interesting for examples of actual guns with detailed descriptions of their condition. This made the other link more understandable for a vintage newbie!
    I am still a little confused about the model letters, I thought they only went up to 'D' so seeing a model 'T' threw me!
    Hopefully there might be something I can at least handle (and maybe buy) at the Melbourne gun fair in October.
    Hi Mark,

It's a huge subject! Pre WW1, there were the Improved Model B and D but between the wars, the models are best identified through the serial number prefix, such as L, S and CS between 1919 and 1935 (Light, Standard and Club Standard), then A, C, T and B between 1936 and 1939. The A and T were updated L and S models, sharing the same external dimensions, whilst the C was a shorter CS (the C or Club model made its first appearance in 1930 and to confuse matters further, early short Club models were fitted with CS prefixed trigger blocks), whilst the B was a 'new' Breakdown model.

I've written a book on the subject and am presently seeking a publisher.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Mark,

It's a huge subject! Pre WW1, there were the Improved Model B and D but between the wars, the models are best identified through the serial number prefix, such as L, S and CS between 1919 and 1935 (Light, Standard and Club Standard), then A, C, T and B between 1936 and 1939. The A and T were updated L and S models, sharing the same external dimensions, whilst the C was a shorter CS (the C or Club model made its first appearance in 1930 and to confuse matters further, early short Club models were fitted with CS prefixed trigger blocks), whilst the B was a 'new' Breakdown model.

I've written a book on the subject and am presently seeking a publisher.

Kind regards,

John
    I’d buy that book in a second, hope you get it published.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I’d buy that book in a second, hope you get it published.
    Me too John, just tell us when and where. Maybe a book signing session at a future Kempton Fair perhaps ----- Not that I am jumping the gun in ANY way you understand

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Yes the Melbourne air gun fair would be a good place to get a view and feel of some of these old BSAs and other makes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Me too John, just tell us when and where. Maybe a book signing session at a future Kempton Fair perhaps ----- Not that I am jumping the gun in ANY way you understand
    Thanks both. I'll let you all know when I have a publisher.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks both. I'll let you all know when I have a publisher.

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John, has the film people say it's been a long time in the making. l am realy looking forward to this book. good luck with finding a publisher.
    ATB,
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Yes the Melbourne air gun fair would be a good place to get a view and feel of some of these old BSAs and other makes as well.
    After some more research, the cadet major appears to be a sturdy piece of kit, but is it too 'modern' for the more traditional bell target gun I think I am imagining?

After some more research, the cadet major appears to be a sturdy piece of kit, but is it too 'modern' for the more traditional bell target gun I think I am imagining?
    The Cadet Major is a very well made rifle and will last for years and is easy to work on, and it will be cheaper than any of the other rifles. it also has the advantage of a adjustable trigger.

Scratch that itch

I seem to be talking myself into buying the Vostok rifle I was using last week, assuming it is still on offer for the princely sum of £40, of course...
    The itch it has given me needs to be scratched, and it is a long time until the fair in October!
    If I take to ye olde style shooting, I think I would be more confident of what I would be looking for when the time comes.

That sounds a convincing reason, right?

£40 lighter and one Vostok heavier....