Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JSB exact pellets. Normal 8.44 gr or heavies 10.34gr for sub 12 springers????

JSB exact pellets. Normal 8.44 gr or heavies 10.34gr for sub 12 springers????

As per title and your reasoning please gents and ladies

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Setting aside the issues with the rifle's preffered pellets, (which will almost certainly be the 8.44g btw) the whole point of .177 is it's flat trajectory. Why comprimise it with a heavy pellet?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Both !
    I've used both in my springers to great effect .
    Currently though I'm using the lighter ones in springers and the heavies in my PCP .
    Try both , only you and your rifle can decide which is best.

Well, Mike, that is one thing that I fully intend to have a good look at in the near future.

Y'see, the "conventional" wisdom has always pointed more to lighter pellets being more efficient in terms of power production in springers. And that heavier ones would rob power and result in harsher shot cycles.

But, Nice Phil, Mr Rickenbacker, let me try some of his JSB Heavies on the Sunday of the last Bash and.....wow!

You'd maybe have to test in more clinical conditions to test the firing cycle side of things, but they seemed pretty nice in my '95 which is usually fed FTTs. Now, on that Sunday, the wind had picked up. On the metal zeroing plate (approx 30 yards?) the FTTs, although still grouping nicely, were being shoved about an inch to the left. The Heavies were bang on point of aim and grouped very nicely indeed.

I experienced similar findings many years ago with the old (9.3 grains?) H&N Silhouettes.

You'd have to expect a slightly more curved trajectory, I guess, although that would be slightly compensated by the better velocity retention.

Hopefully some peeps will jump in who have conducted this very comparison. In the meantime, I'd say get stuck in, give them a proper test and see what you think and how they go in your particular rifle(s).

The other ones that I'm itching to try out are the new H&N Barracuda FT.....9.5 grains, I seem to remember, and not available yet. I think they're still gathering findings from various testers and / or gearing up for full-on production.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Both !
    I've used both in my springers to great effect .
    Currently though I'm using the lighter ones in springers and the heavies in my PCP .
    Try both , only you and your rifle can decide which is best.

That's the same way round I've been using them to be honest. My S510 loves the heavies where as my springers tend to prefer the 8.44 variety whether it be JSB or HN sport etc. As Tinbum correctly says the extra weight thus affects trajectory and muzzle velocity which is what made me wonder which ones people prefer and why.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    But, Nice Phil, Mr Rickenbacker, let me try some of his JSB Heavies on the Sunday of the last Bash and.....wow!
    It was you posting this recently in the boinger bash thread recently that got me thinking and why I decided to bung it on here as a thread.

Gotcha, Mikey Boy!

So, it sounds like you already have both types. That'll make a lovely little testing day for you to enjoy.

And don't forget to report back!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Gotcha, Mikey Boy!

So, it sounds like you already have both types. That'll make a lovely little testing day for you to enjoy.

And don't forget to report back!
    The heavier pellets I have are Bisley Magnums which i've just about finished. I've just ordered a tin of JSB heavies on flea bay so will do a bit of testing later in the week and do an update Tone

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I did a pellet test the other day on my Prosport to see if I could find a cheaper but just as accurate pellet than the AA's that I normally feed it, I bought one of those JSB .177 tester packs and found it liked the RS pellets, which is good as I can get them considerably cheaper in bulk than the AA's.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Pure guess here, but I think you'll find the JSB Heavies much easier going in a springer than the Bisley Magnums......softer, thinner skirts, less release pressure required = nicer firing cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I did a pellet test the other day on my Prosport to see if I could find a cheaper but just as accurate pellet than the AA's that I normally feed it, I bought one of those JSB .177 tester packs and found it liked the RS pellets, which is good as I can get them considerably cheaper in bulk than the AA's.

Pete
    Nicely done, Pete.

I’ve got a Diana that is pellet fussy
    Likes JSB 7.9s which hit 11.5/11.7 (and every other pellet much less) OR JSB 10.34 heavies, defo not like a bis mag in springers - as in a post above- these achieve 10.5 but super accuracy

Both of these give top groups, though I would like it if it did same with 8.4s but it doesn’t!!!
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Neither.
    The lighter express or RS are better in springers.
    And I have tested them all.
    B.A.S.C. member

I use AA field diabolo 8.4 for long range target, 60/100 yards and the bisley mags 10.6 between 40/60 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    I use AA field diabolo 8.4 for long range target, 60/100 yards and the bisley mags 10.6 between 40/60 yards.
    I mainly use the AA Diablo 8.44's in my springers and the Bisley mags have worked well in my 510. Also I have an HW95 and 98 which both prefer H and N FTT's