Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JSB exact pellets. Normal 8.44 gr or heavies 10.34gr for sub 12 springers????

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Neither.
    The lighter express or RS are better in springers.
    And I have tested them all.

I'll have to have a dabble with the express too. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I'll have to have a dabble with the express too. Cheers
    I do prefer express in .177 and rs in .22 (though I rarely have .22 rifles).

The way springers develop their power means that lighter pellets are far more efficient and can be tuned to a very nice shot cycle.

I've found that springers that don't make better power with lighter pellets are generally oversprung and badly set up. Usually out of the box rifles.

I've not come across a springer yet in .177 that doesn't like express.
    B.A.S.C. member

I do prefer express in .177 and rs in .22 (though I rarely have .22 rifles).

The way springers develop their power means that lighter pellets are far more efficient and can be tuned to a very nice shot cycle.

I've found that springers that don't make better power with lighter pellets are generally oversprung and badly set up. Usually out of the box rifles.

I've not come across a springer yet in .177 that doesn't like express.
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Can you give an opinion, or advice, on this result.

HW80 AA Dia. Field 16 gn 11.4 ft.lb. RWS Superdome 14.5 gn 10.9 ft.lb.

Quite pleased but means very little to me!

Neither.
    The lighter express or RS are better in springers.
    And I have tested them all.
    Absolutely agree with that, though there is very little to choose between these and Falcon Accuracy Plus in my guns. I test others from time to time, just in case, but nothing better so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Absolutely agree with that, though there is very little to choose between these and Falcon Accuracy Plus in my guns. I test others from time to time, just in case, but nothing better so far.
    Does "best" mean power/efficiency/accuracy or combination of these? Sorry dim but willing.!

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Can you give an opinion, or advice, on this result.

Superdome are lighter but are tighter and have a thicker skirt. Thus its more difficult for the piston to overcome the initial resistance and keep the momentum up.

That 80, running 11.4 with a 16g pellet is likely to be way over with a 13.43 FAP or RS
    B.A.S.C. member

The HW80 also brings its own delicacies to the party . FAC spec rifle that sends a piston the size of a modern electric car, howling down the massive diameter cylinder, compressing a volume of air that would keep a Sri Lankan pearl diver alive for a session.
    I'd really expect negative preload on a .22 80 with lightweight pellets to keep under 12
    B.A.S.C. member

Does "best" mean power/efficiency/accuracy or combination of these? Sorry dim but willing.!
    Accuracy (which for me means consistency) is the defining factor for me. How much I enjoy the way it is achieved, in terms of "feel", is more dependent on the gun than on the pellet.

It means the rifle's definitely not dieseling, Jules.

Superdome are lighter but are tighter and have a thicker skirt. Thus its more difficult for the piston to overcome the initial resistance and keep the momentum up.

That 80, running 11.4 with a 16g pellet is likely to be way over with a 13.43 FAP or RS
    The AA pellets are indeed a really slick fit in the barrel of most rifles. Its just the 95 and 98 that I have that seem to prefer a slightly tighter/harder pellet such as the FTT's. The AA Diablos are a pretty loose fit in the breach of these two rifles.

The HW80 also brings its own delicacies to the party . FAC spec rifle that sends a piston the size of a modern electric car, howling down the massive diameter cylinder, compressing a volume of air that would keep a Sri Lankan pearl diver alive for a session.
    I'd really expect negative preload on a .22 80 with lightweight pellets to keep under 12
    Really enjoying this thread and glad that people with the know how are prepared to share openly.
    Will the amount of required preload, mentioned above, be dependent on spring rate all other things being the same?
    Thanks again all.

P.S. going to look up some FAP/RS whatever they are!

Really enjoying this thread and glad that people with the know how are prepared to share openly.
    Will the amount of required preload, mentioned above, be dependent on spring rate all other things being the same?
    Thanks again all.

Its certainly great to get peoples opinions and reasoning on this subject and so far I've come to the conclusion that its worth more experimentation. I've ordered a few tins of various pellets and as soon as I get a moment will try to do a bit of an in depth chrono session with the different varieties through a couple of rifles and post the results on here.

Thanks again all.

Falcon Accuracy Plus and JSB RS 👍

Both very good pellets. The Falcons are my go to pellet for initial testing in any new springer - the skirts are quite thin so, they flare out into the rifling well. Also, I've found them to be a good fast, accurate pellet.

Good luck with your testing.

All of the above.

Strange how different pellets effect the firing cycle. My hw80 shoots the daystate li well. Rws hobby are very sweet shooting. But the hw80's power can change from 11 to 13 ftlbs with 13.5 -16 grain pellets. So stick to legal daystate li.

Heavy pellets generally do not work best in springers due to the high initial pressure needed to get them going and then the recoil. Stcik to JSB express or the 8.44s. and leave the JSB Heavies for the PCPs.

A.G