Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JSB exact pellets. Normal 8.44 gr or heavies 10.34gr for sub 12 springers????

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Superdome are lighter but are tighter and have a thicker skirt. Thus its more difficult for the piston to overcome the initial resistance and keep the momentum up.

That 80, running 11.4 with a 16g pellet is likely to be way over with a 13.43 FAP or RS
    Having put some JSB RS 13.43 gn they gave 11.8/9
    Was told when asking for FAP they're the same pellet re badged ?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    It was you posting this recently in the boinger bash thread recently that got me thinking and why I decided to bung it on here as a thread.
    As said, I was shooting alongside Tone, trying out two different batch numbers of the 'heavies', in a crosswind.

For me, one batch shot very well, taking less wind than 8.4s. Probably half as much, @ 30 yards. The other batch were all over the place (although that 'bad' batch shot well in Tone's '95 ).

(my test rifle: can't remember if I was using the '95 in a '98 stock, or the '98 in a GinB target stock, but both are shortstroke actions).

After a couple of shots to get used to the slightly different shot cycle, we both agreed that recoil was a bit more, but it felt rather nice (not very scientific, eh?).

To address Timbottom's (spelling corrected) point:

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Setting aside the issues with the rifle's preferred pellets, (which will almost certainly be the 8.44g btw) the whole point of .177 is it's flat trajectory. Why compromise it with a heavy pellet?
    Some would say, trajectory is easier to learn than wind therefore once you've found a heavy pellet that cheats the wind, and groups well at 55 yards - you're on to a windy-day winner. Stands to reason that you'll have a lot more targets where you can play the percentage shot (aim inside edge of the kill), and even if the shot goes dead straight, you should still get it. In fact, the only way you can possibly miss is if you guess the wind the wrong way. And even you probably wouldn't do that.

Then it's off to the trophy tent for tea and medals - Huzza!

I have had a brief chance this morning to start testing a few pellets through my Prosport to compare groupings and hopefully over the weekend will have chance to chrono the four that I have decided to compare. Upon completion will bung some completely un-biased results up.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Setting aside the issues with the rifle's preffered pellets, (which will almost certainly be the 8.44g btw) the whole point of .177 is it's flat trajectory. Why comprimise it with a heavy pellet?
    Mmmmmmm... I disagree tinny I think you need to use as heavier .177 pellets as possible so you can get used to the trajectory so when you realise your being a fool & change to a .20 or .22 the transition will be smoother
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I have had a brief chance this morning to start testing a few pellets through my Prosport to compare groupings and hopefully over the weekend will have chance to chrono the four that I have decided to compare. Upon completion will bung some completely un-biased results up.
    Test them all.. pay no attention to weight(ish). They are all good pellets. I Found the 10.3 the best in my daystate but rws superfield best in my evo. You will know when you have a good one because it'll feel good and hit the right spot every time. I've also found that the weight of a pellet can change the feel of the shot cycle too
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

Some would say, trajectory is easier to learn than wind therefore once you've found a heavy pellet that cheats the wind, and groups well at 55 yards - you're on to a windy-day winner. Stands to reason that you'll have a lot more targets where you can play the percentage shot (aim inside edge of the kill), and even if the shot goes dead straight, you should still get it.
    Agreed.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Test them all.. pay no attention to weight(ish). They are all good pellets. I Found the 10.3 the best in my daystate but rws superfield best in my evo. You will know when you have a good one because it'll feel good and hit the right spot every time. I've also found that the weight of a pellet can change the feel of the shot cycle too
    Fully agree and it's always best to test as many as possible. Sometimes this testing can throw up a surprise winner, too.

In terms of the shot cycle feel......most definitely correct. A couple of more extreme examples:-

Back in the day it seemed liked the only consistent quality choice for field work was the old 5.6mm Eley Wasp. These were a very tight fit in the breech of my FWB127. When RWS launched the Superpoint, these fitted the breech much more nicely and the resulting shot cycle was much more pleasant.

In more recent times.........177 TX HC.......although accuracy was the same (at the indoor range at 33 yards) the shot cycle with the JSB derivatives was far nicer than with Superdomes. On the first fettle (lighter top hat and not enough preload) it twanged and Boinged in a most unrefined fashion with the 'Domes but was nice with the JSBs. Once the preload was accordingly upped to restore power, the extreme twanging with the 'Domes did indeed improve, although the cycle is still far more pleasant with the JSB pellets (AAFs in this case).
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

After a couple of shots to get used to the slightly different shot cycle, we both agreed that recoil was a bit more, but it felt rather nice (not very scientific, eh?).
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I've also found that the weight of a pellet can change the feel of the shot cycle too
    Meant to point out on my previous post, too, but the size and, hence, tightness in the breech and also the thickness and hardness of the skirt makes one hell of a lot of difference too, Rhys. In many cases, more so than the weight.

Now, Phil mentions that after a couple of shots with the Heavies, we got used to the shot cycle and it did actually seem quite nice. And I think I believe that that is it and it's just a case of the user getting used to the new shot cycle feel.

But then I have sometimes wondered....."what if" .......and maybe this is a little "far out", but what if the gun ACTUALLY LEARNS THE PELLET to a degree. Well, when I say "gun", more specifically the SPRING? After a few shots can the spring metallurgy actually learn the characteristics for the most efficient shot cycle, re-arranging its composition slightly to cater for the very slightly different acceleration, distance travelled on the forward stroke and the subsequent bounce?

Discuss........politely!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Discuss........politely!
    Rhys is a hippie with no friends?

I love Rhys.

The four I tested today are as follows. AA Diablo field 8.44gr, AA diablo express 7.67gr, JSB diablo heavy. 10.34gr and just for the hell of it threw in the AA diablo match (flatheads) 8.02gr which I do realise are optimally for 10metres or less. All were tested at 22 yards in my Prosport firing 5 shots each with interesting results, especially as it was fairly breezy today. The AA Diablo field grouped beautifully and all were within a 12mm circle. The AA Diablo express grouped well but not as tight which I think was mainly due to the breeze and/or my inconsistency. Surprisingly the AA Diablo match pellets grouped equally as well as the express which surprised me. Now as for the JSB Heavies.....5 shots inside 7mm circle. Absolutely outstanding results from the heavier pellet which is obviously the better pellet in the wind. As for the shot cycle, the AA match and express provided a super quick snappy action but not at all unpleasant and likewise similar with the AA Diablo. The JSB definitely shot very differently to the other pellets but by no means an unpleasant shot cycle. Over the weekend I will try to chronograph them all and update!!!!

Nice work, Mike, and looking very promising for the Heavies.

Accuracy always has to be the most important consideration, and it sounds like your rifle loves them. They're going to be better in the wind. And, like Lovely Phil says, if the trajectory proves to be a little more pronounced, this can be learned.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nice work, Mike, and looking very promising for the Heavies.

Accuracy always has to be the most important consideration, and it sounds like your rifle loves them. They're going to be better in the wind. And, like Lovely Phil says, if the trajectory proves to be a little more pronounced, this can be learned.
    I'm definitely up for a dabble with the heavies for sure. When I visit Iden Ferns HFT club which isn't often enough I use my TX200 which is in .22 and absolutely love it.

Sorry Phil, I've upgraded to a lot harder uncompromising redneck... I now enjoy watching hippies fetch me things

I especially enjoy saying "FETCH IT THEN" in a voice similar to Jason Statham (because I now smoke straight Marlborough and drink moonshine)to them, then they gallop off to get me things as I sit in my pallet wood throne.

That's more like it!