Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch, Why The Tiles ?

Weihrauch, Why The Tiles ?

Having watched a few 95s dismantled at the Boinger Bash I've always wondered why Weihrauch went with those bloody awkward tiles on the trigger block ?

Surely they could have simply used a screw in lug in the front trigger guard hole to retain the trigger block, like on a TX or FWB sport.

Perhaps 8mm (26-10/2 = 8) of thread wasn't thought to be enough to retain the block ?

All the best Mick

Agree it’s a stupid idea, the amount i have seen with one missing
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

cost cutting. Some Oik obviously thought it was a good idea
    B.A.S.C. member

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Its cryptic but i think I know what you ask.

I think I know what you are on about, you mean the metal inserts that hold the end block in place?. If so I agree they are a pain when compared with a screw in end block. At the end of the day its probably a cost cutting exercise. There is a link to a video below if anyone does not know what part you mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ux0xVwUj54

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Same thoughts aswel, tx set up is probably the easiest way to strip a gun ever. Though tbh a Quattro hatsan makes the hw idea look logical!

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    I think I know what you are on about, you mean the metal inserts that hold the end block in place?. If so I agree they are a pain when compared with a screw in end block. At the end of the day its probably a cost cutting exercise. There is a link to a video below if anyone does not know what part you mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ux0xVwUj54

Kindest regards

Barrel
    A relative of mine recently back into guns who is absolutly meticulous in what he does says the work is 3rd world and a disgrace. I who am not meticulous quite like those blocks and even though i also like the screw in back block of the 77 etc can dismanlie the 99 back block quicker. The lack of preload means you only need 2 blocks in one either side, even though I use them all.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Having watched a few 95s dismantled at the Boinger Bash I've always wondered why Weihrauch went with those bloody awkward tiles on the trigger block ?

Surely they could have simply used a screw in lug in the front trigger guard hole to retain the trigger block, like on a TX or FWB sport.

Perhaps 8mm (26-10/2 = 8) of thread wasn't thought to be enough to retain the block ?

All the best Mick
    I would actually argue that they are just not required at all. There is a lug to locate the block then the trigger pins do the rest. Could actually be made cheaper and better!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus
    Could actually be made cheaper and better!
    Exactly my thoughts, if Weihrauch had copied the TX back block and securing lug the 95/98/99 etc would have been much easier and quicker to disassemble and the trigger unit could have stayed in situ in the block.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Exactly my thoughts, if Weihrauch had copied the TX back block and securing lug the 95/98/99 etc would have been much easier and quicker to disassemble and the trigger unit could have stayed in situ in the block.
    If they copied the tx back block, they could have a proper trigger too
    B.A.S.C. member

Though I have a HW95, someone else did the tune and its lovely and smooth. I've yet felt the need to strip it. Thank you all for the info.

Why Weihraich decision to do it this way? Well probably cost and how it fits into the number of machined parts and assembly time by an employee. I'm amazed how they have kept to the price we can get them. When all the additional costs are taken out then there really is so little for the actual gun.
    Manufacturing is all about the bottom line for every part and the cost of machinery to get that part. All the pennies add up.
    I have to say that as a mousetrap its a very good one and delivers in so many ways.

My rifle someone had almost 1/2 the price of the rifle spent on it again to squeeze every bit of perfection out of it. All for a 12ft/lbs springer but it was sort of worth it if you like springers. Was the extra price of the tune worth it? Well the factory offering isn't exactly shoddy for back yard use. I think the tune is more for the fact it can be done and adds just that bit more confidence. Its still a light weight slightly flighty rifle that wants to shoot straight but takes little to throw one out of the group from hold variations.
    Standing unsupported it shoots extremely well, well behaved.
    Off the bench its not so happy. A heavier rifle would behave better. If you are conscientious you can find a bench rest hold thats repeatable and the results are pellet on pellet. A little too much head weight on the stock is enough to push one out of the group. Head or something, doesn't take much. This is true of so many piston powered air rifles.

Once zeroed and away from the practice targets, in the field mine does the practical very well. I do keep the ranges sensible. Its a joy to carry about.

Hi looking at the video i am appalled at the poor finish inside the rifle, people talk about Walther springs not being finished well this one is just as bad if not worse, also the amount of metal to metal is not good at all. No wonder they need to go for "TUNING what the mean is building properly. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by bozz View Post
    Hi looking at the video i am appalled at the poor finish inside the rifle, people talk about Walther springs not being finished well this one is just as bad if not worse, also the amount of metal to metal is not good at all. No wonder they need to go for "TUNING what the mean is building properly. Graham
    Yup . I've said for a long time that HW springers should be regarded as "part finished" rifles.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by bozz View Post
    From memory, Weihrauch went through a period where they didn't finish the springs, Jim and Terry had a word with Weihrauch about this and they reverted back to properly finished springs ?

The last 77 I bought was made 2 1/2 years ago and the spring was finished on that one, so what's the state of play with new guns now ?

One opinion I have come across is that the original screw-in block 85 had a thin-walled comp tube (inherited from BSF in some way?), which proved difficult to drill and tap consistently. Hence the adoption of the “tiles”.

Agree with everyone else that this was a retrograde, cheapening, development.

Its such a shame Weihrauch just don't seem to ooze the top notch quality these days. I know Air Arms are a fair bit more expensive but they do have that certain something that other manufacturers don't anymore. That's not a biased opinion either as I have several Weihrauchs and three Air Arms. As for the little metal squares on the 95 and 98, they are a pain in the arse but once they've been removed once, as long as re-inserted in the same position they are relatively easy to get in and out.